Nikola

Kevin Pietersen 149 (2012) - One of the best innings against quality attack?

Absolutely. Loved how he deposits Steyn for a 6 over his head. Saffer bowlers had no answer for him. Idiotic ECB dropped him for the next test i guess and they promptly went on to lose the series 2-0. This series also had the Amla Triple ton.

Graeme Smith should be given the Sir Title by the British for disposing 3 captains in 3 consecutive test series in England. :lol:

Edited by Stan AF

10 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

How i wish he played for SA and him n ABDV batting together wud have been the treat like none 

Smith (c)

Trott/Strauss

Amla

Kallis

KP

ABDV

Prior (wk)

Imagine this top 7 !!!! Reckon RSA would have dominated world cricket from 2005-15. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

https://www.bcci.tv/videos/91895/ind-v-eng-2012-2nd-test-kevin-pietersen-s-stroke-filled-186

Surely the best knock by a visiting batsman against India in the last decade.

totally one of the best knocks by an overseas player, changed the whole series 

Just now, Gollum said:

KP started off as an offie and lower order bat

Smith started off as a leggie

Ashwin was an opening bat

Earlier we had Sobers who was a  #11, Sachin enrolled in MRF to be a quick....funny sport. 

sehwag also i think was more in delhi side for his off spinner, he came in to bat at 7 in his debut game

INDIA INNINGS (50 OVERS MAXIMUM)
BATSMEN   R B M 4s 6s SR
SC Ganguly  c Shahid Afridi b Shahid Nazir 57 90 140 4 0 63.33
SS Karim  c Ijaz Ahmed b Azhar Mahmood 18 51 84 1 0 35.29
R Dravid  c Shahid Afridi b Shoaib Akhtar 0 3 3 0 0 0.00
A Jadeja (c) b Azhar Mahmood 14 44 72 1 0 31.81
AR Khurasiya  st †Moin Khan b Saqlain Mushtaq 6 7 14 1 0 85.71
RR Singh  run out (Saqlain Mushtaq) 42 67 139 1 0 62.68
V Sehwag  lbw b Shoaib Akhtar 1 2 5 0 0 50.00
HH Kanitkar  run out (Ijaz Ahmed) 12 15 23 1 0 80.00
LR Shukla  c Shahid Nazir b Saqlain Mushtaq 5 9 13 0 0 55.55
GK Pandey  not out 4 9 10 0 0 44.44
BKV Prasad  st †Moin Khan b Saqlain Mushtaq 4 7 8 0 0 57.14
Extras (b 1, lb 10, nb 5, w 17) 33

Think this wasn't his best innings. The one he and Flintoff played in a session against Aussies in Ashes 2005 was brilliant. That session just demoralized the Aussie bowlers.

The best test innings by KP IMO was the one he played in Mumbai test on the turning wicket.

Also reminds of Rahane tonking Steyn in WC match.

Edited by Straight Drive

34 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

https://www.bcci.tv/videos/91895/ind-v-eng-2012-2nd-test-kevin-pietersen-s-stroke-filled-186

Surely the best knock by a visiting batsman against India in the last decade.

He made a point to ECB for dropping him with his knocks in Mumbai and Kolkatta. W/O him it was a 1-1 at best. Umesh getting injured after the 1st test also didn't help us. Pragyan Ojha was never a test level bowler. The idiots at BCCI should have scheduled a test match in Sennai instead of Mumbai. 3 months later Dhoni hit a 200+ there.

Just now, Stan AF said:

He made a point to ECB for dropping him with his knocks in Mumbai and Kolkatta. W/O him it was a 1-1 at best. Umesh getting injured after the 1st test also didn't help us. Pragyan Ojha was never a test level bowler. The idiots at BCCI should have scheduled a test match in Sennai instead of Mumbai. 3 months later Dhoni hit a 200+ there.

Not an Ojha fan but wasn't he our best bowler in that series? It was Ashwin who was a let down averaging 50+. Our blunders were going for a rank turner in Mumbai when we easily beat them on a traditional sub-continent wicket in the 1st Test and going for a dead pitch in Nagpur in the last Test :facepalm:.  

Oh yeah Ashwin let us down big time. No arguments there. Our weak batting also put huge pressure on the bowlers. They were dropping like 9 pins in front of Swann and PPPPP pppp aanesar. One of the most sorrowful sights of my cricket watching life is seeing tendulkar getting out to panesar of all people. He should have retired before that series.

Just now, Stan AF said:

Oh yeah Ashwin let us down big time. No arguments there. Our weak batting also put huge pressure on the bowlers. They were dropping like 9 pins in front of Swann and PPPPP pppp aanesar. One of the most sorrowful sights of my cricket watching life is seeing tendulkar getting out to panesar of all people. He should have retired before that series.

He was so bad to watch in this series. Even when got a 70-odd in Kolkata he looked waaaay past it. Horrible memories.

2 hours ago, Straight Drive said:

Think this wasn't his best innings. The one he and Flintoff played in a session against Aussies in Ashes 2005 was brilliant. That session just demoralized the Aussie bowlers.

The best test innings by KP IMO was the one he played in Mumbai test on the turning wicket.

Also reminds of Rahane tonking Steyn in WC match.

Ashes knock is pretty famous and well known. I thought this knock was bit underrated and they way he smacked steyn it deserved to be in one of the top knocks in last decade.

16 hours ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Not an Ojha fan but wasn't he our best bowler in that series? It was Ashwin who was a let down averaging 50+. Our blunders were going for a rank turner in Mumbai when we easily beat them on a traditional sub-continent wicket in the 1st Test and going for a dead pitch in Nagpur in the last Test :facepalm:.  

17 hours ago, Stan AF said:

vs Poms and venue Mumbai, too many bad memories for us across formats. We must learn to schedule matches more smartly, some venues against certain teams are just bad for us statistically, against Poms in Mumbai or Pak in Chennai. 

Edited by Gollum

17 hours ago, Stan AF said:

All our home series losses have been mainly because of our subpar batting. After the Ahmedabad test it never looked like our top/middle order knew how to hold a bat, except Che. Even a few 50s by the others were so scratchy, more reliant on luck. That our second best batsman was the #8 or 9 in that series explains why we lost. Somehow our batsmen are put on such a pedestal that their * ups are hardly ever the centre of focus. 

Edited by Gollum

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

vs Poms and venue Mumbai, too many bad memories for us across formats. We must learn to schedule matches more smartly, some venues against certain teams are just bad for us statistically, against Poms in Mumbai or Pak in Chennai. 

Al Bakis have won just once in Chennai, right? Their most successful venue in India is probably Bangalore. England do have a great record in Mumbai which is why it was great fun watching them getting their asses kicked in 2016.

19 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Al Bakis have won just once in Chennai, right? Their most successful venue in India is probably Bangalore. England do have a great record in Mumbai which is why it was great fun watching them getting their asses kicked in 2016.

Yeah but they have won a few ODIs in Chennai, I don't think we have a single victory against them at that venue. Bangalore again them and Aussies have enjoyed some success but at least we haven't drawn blank, 96 QF is somewhat a soothing balm. 

That 2016 test win was special, Kohli's epic double, Vijay and Jayant chipping in with 100s, Ash's 12fer. That 2016-17 home season as such featured some of the most entertaining cricket by Team India I have seen in all my years of following the sport. 

Just now, Gollum said:

Yeah but they have won a few ODIs in Chennai, I don't think we have a single victory against them at that venue. Bangalore again them and Aussies have enjoyed some success but at least we haven't drawn blank, 96 QF is somewhat a soothing balm. 

Yeah if you count ODIs as well then it has certainly been a happy hunting ground for them along with Kolkata. 

Just now, Gollum said:

That 2016 test win was special, Kohli's epic double, Vijay and Jayant chipping in with 100s, Ash's 12fer. That 2016-17 home season as such featured some of the most entertaining cricket by Team India I have seen in all my years of following the sport. 

Lucky enough to have attended that Test for all 5 days although I could have done without the sun burn :p:. That home season was the best phase of Kohli's tenure for sure.