Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Cricketics

What life advice you would give to an 18 year old getting out of school?

Recommended Posts

So folks what advice would you give to a young 18 year old person based on what you have learned and experienced in life so far. This can make up to be a catalogue of great advices. So chime in. 

 

To start:-

 

I would advice a young 18 year old person to not look to catch up and/or feel the pressure of the society about going to the university and continuing your studies. If you don't want to go to college right away, you don't have to rite away. With time you would find the will to go to college to study. So you can can wait and go later. Meanwhile, Go travel for a bit after 12th grade and stay in hostels (which will be cheap since you won't have much money that time) and meet backpackers and make some memories and come fresh and then go to college. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have things returned to normalcy that you advice this youngster to backpack before starting college? 

 

Even I would advice him to backpack if he could. But for now, hang out with friends, play team games and start thinking about the career and the skills to reach there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, diga said:

Have things returned to normalcy that you advice this youngster to backpack before starting college? 

 

Even I would advice him to backpack if he could. But for now, hang out with friends, play team games and start thinking about the career and the skills to reach there

Yeah I meant what you will give as general advice assuming its not covid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

Stay put, finish college and then see the world

Rite away after bachelors you mean? Most people have to find a job rite away in India after college once they complete as they miss the boat otherwise often. 
 

Not a bad advice though what you meant, but I would recommend travel a bit as you do your bachelors. May be not like a backpacker and staying away for long term but just take at least some trips during vacation time  in between semesters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Cricketics said:

So folks what advice would you give to a young 18 year old person based on what you have learned and experienced in life so far. This can make up to be a catalogue of great advices. So chime in. 

 

To start:-

 

I would advice a young 18 year old person to not look to catch up and/or feel the pressure of the society about going to the university and continuing your studies. If you don't want to go to college right away, you don't have to rite away. With time you would find the will to go to college to study. So you can can wait and go later. Meanwhile, Go travel for a bit after 12th grade and stay in hostels (which will be cheap since you won't have much money that time) and meet backpackers and make some memories and come fresh and then go to college. 

Suggest some idea for funding as well for that travel and hotel stays....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, raki05 said:

Suggest some idea for funding as well for that travel and hotel stays....

Don’t be afraid to borrow money like you borrow to study if you are less fortunate. May be do some jobs and earn enough And travel. Suck it up at call center and make some money and then quit and travel. There ways to fund you travels now even in India even without support of parents. To start with, don’t listen or worry about what the society might think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Clarke said:

Jaa pakode bech BC:)

:)

 

Btw, there have been many surveys done with people who are on death beds and when they were asked about regrets in their life during minutes before their last breath, most have said that they regret on things they didn’t do rather than things they did do.

 

This will hit one bard. I think when one turns 65-70, you don’t want to be regretting of things you did not do in your 20s and 30s, you rather do wrong things in life and fail and learn from it. No wonder most people on death bed regret not traveling or spending more time with family/friends. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

General advice this guy said best, especially point 1....don't sweat the small stuff, everything will turn out OK. 

 

 

Talking specifically to an 18 yo kid in India I 'll say focus on entrance exams, get a seat in some nice institution, work hard for 4 years but also have fun, cultivate friendship with those from other backgrounds. Join clubs and take part in organizing fests, develop other skills be it arts/sports or public speaking/debates, extracurricular activities etc. Once you get your degree, take a break for a couple of years and travel. 

Edited by Gollum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...