Which was a better bowling unit Skill wise- Zak,RP, Ishant, Sreesanth, Munaf, PK, Irfan, Balaji vs Current bowling unit

In test Cricket 

This is just a Skill wise Comparison as we all know that Post 2004 bowling unit failed to liveup on expectation due poor fitness n lack of guidance around of fast bowling which is avl now post IPL . They all hardly could play together as injuries were a huge part of their career, most of them burst on scene with great success but lost their ways . But when those guys did well our team won games so the question is had they had better fitness n fast bowling guidance would they have been a better bowling unit then current 

Post 2004 Bowling Resources 

1. Zak- Lead of the attack who was highly skillful and found his way due to playing in county. 
  2. Sreesath- Bowler with great outswing will always trouble best of the best batsman in the world and he did as well. If u look at his wkt list he did trouble top batsman 
  3. Young Ishant Sharma - A young ishant sharma who bust on the scene was brilliant to say the least, his bounce was a sight in that 2008 tour down under. If sreesanth had a great outswing, ishant cud have complimented him with bringing ball back in. 
  4. RP singh- Deceptively quick, had a better inswing then Zak and was very good over the wkt as well. Bowled really well in 2007 eng tour and 2008 Aus tour post Zak injury 
  5. Munaf- Pace was what he bought when he busrt on the scene and had he maintained it well that wud have completed every aspect of that pace bowling unit. 
  6. Irfan- Very good bowling talent when he burst on scene, lost is soon but was gaining his batting. Had he not lost both India's all round problems wud have been solved in test cricket then only. Nyways post sourav we struggled to find that 6th batsman. 
  7. Balaji- Very good seam bowler, always thought he wasnt Right for ODI cricket but could have been very handy in test cricket. He was brilliant in 2005 Pak home tour.
  8. Praveen kumar- Last entrant of the group who was very handy with duke balls specially in conditions like england, WI.

This attack pretty much had all skill sets covered- Seam, Swing ,  Pace, bounce, Outswing, inswing, reverse swing, 3 left arm bowlers, great backsups 

Add kumble who found his overseas answers in that phase. 

Current unit adding the ones in last few years as well 

1. Ishant - Now The experience leader of attack. Finally he found his way ....i still think he was at his best when he burst on scene.
  2. Shami - One of the most skillfull bowler around the world
  3. Bumrah- One of the best bowler going around the world
  4. Bhuvi - Has taken his skill to a different level now. 
  5. Umesh- Brilliant in Indian conditions with SG ball but nothing beyond that .
  6. Varun Aaron- Had pace and only pace but didnt grew beyond that 
  7. Saini- Yet to play test 
  8. Siraj- yet to play test 
  9. Thakur- Hope that he doesnt play test 

This unit does miss out on the Left armer and a good outswing bowler. 

If only those bowler had proper guidance our team would have done better overseas specially add to that our batting 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
1 minute ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

khaleel n Sran didnt play test cricket neither did unadkat for long

M talking about test cricket , had it been ODI i wud have mentioned nehra n agarkar as well 

I was just giving you options. My bad I missed the test matches only part. Unadkut played tests in SA of all places :wall: 

Edited by maniac
1 minute ago, maniac said:

I was just giving you options. My bad I missed the test matches only part. Unadkut played tests in SA of all places :wall: 

Still remeber how wasim akram rated unadkat so highly n called ishant sharma overrated when he was new....someone needs to re check with him

Agree that skill wise the are not far behind current lot, Zak alone is more skilful than the current crop of pacemen.

Where they are miles behind (at least on the face of it to me) was commitment, work ethic and as a by product pace. Still remember Zak and RPS (admittedly called up from holiday) looking obviously unfit- bit of a belly and everything- on 2011 tour of England. Zak broke down after a few overs, no coincidence.