Asia Cup is cancelled, says Ganguly

BCCI President Sourav Ganguly, on Wednesday (July 8), announced that the Asia Cup 2020 has been canceled. The announcement comes ahead of a scheduled Asian Cricket Council (ACC) meeting on July 9.

"Asia Cup has been cancelled," Ganguly said, without elaborating if this was a decision taken by the ACC, in an Instagram chat with Vikrant Gupta.

When contacted, officials from Pakistan Cricket Board and the Bangladesh Cricket Board confirmed that they were not aware of such a move from the Asian Cricket Council.

The tournament was set to be held in the United Arab Emirates in September this year. Pakistan were to host the tournament but India weren't willing to travel to Pakistan. The BCCI had earlier stated that it didn't have a problem with Pakistan hosting the Asia Cup, as long as it was held at a neutral venue.

"It's difficult to say which will be India's first international series. We've done our preparations but we can't do much till we know the government rules. We are not in a hurry because the health of players is of the utmost importance. We are monitoring things monthly," added Ganguly.

Ganguly also reiterated the BCCI's stance that the IPL can happen after a decision is announced by the ICC on the fate of the World T20.

"(If the T20 World Cup gets cancelled) then we will try everything to stage the IPL. It is very important for Indian cricket. We will try to host it in India," said Ganguly.

"The cancellation of T20 World Cup will happen soon because all countries are asking for a direction from ICC. We'll know by mid-July. My gut-feeling is saying it's tough."

CA chairman Earl Eddings has already clarified the ICC T20 World Cup was "unlikely" and "unrealistic". "It's a bit of a moving feast at the moment. I'd say it's unlikely, while it hasn't been formally called off this year or postponed, trying to get 16 countries into Australia in the current world where most countries are still going through Covid-19 spiking is very, very difficult," he had said.

However, the International Cricket Council had deferred a decision for one more month and will meet on July 17 to decide the fate of the tournament. "The ICC is trying their best to stage the T20 World Cup because that brings in a lot of revenue," said Ganguly. "We don't have a window for IPL yet because we have to play in Australia in December. That's FTP and we can't change that. Australia is one country where, apart from Melbourne, things are returning to normal."

LINK

Good.  Banjo these folks want to milk Indian cricket team for all its worth, and Pakistan is trying to push for 'hosting rights' with a sense of entitlement and self-importance.  Good that its cancelled.

The giant is awakening from its slumber. 

4 minutes ago, maniac said:

Good decision.

7 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Good.  Banjo these folks want to milk Indian cricket team for all its worth, and Pakistan is trying to push for 'hosting rights' with a sense of entitlement and self-importance.  Good that its cancelled.

The giant is awakening from its slumber. 

India could do with more multination tourneys like Asia Cup, put our boys in must win situations, push for SFs as well in this tournament format and not just pool+final. Other Asian sides may not be as imposing as SENA teams but 2 of our ICC final defeats in recent years came against Pak/SL. BD has always given us a tough time in must win matches and Afg is a tricky matchup for our side, we really struggle against quality spin in the middle overs !!!! I genuinely believe Asia Cup would help our side, moreover next 2/3 ICC events will be held in Asia. 

5 hours ago, Gollum said:

India could do with more multination tourneys like Asia Cup, put our boys in must win situations, push for SFs as well in this tournament format and not just pool+final. Other Asian sides may not be as imposing as SENA teams but 2 of our ICC final defeats in recent years came against Pak/SL. BD has always given us a tough time in must win matches and Afg is a tricky matchup for our side, we really struggle against quality spin in the middle overs !!!! I genuinely believe Asia Cup would help our side, moreover next 2/3 ICC events will be held in Asia. 

I don't mean to support abandoning Asia cup altogether - just this specific iteration.  As it is bakis were getting too big for their britches, and the likes of BD need a reminder of what it means to their budget if they do not stay on the good side of the BCCI, instead of collaborating with the likes of ECB.

3 hours ago, Gollum said:

I was just talking about the current tournament under present circumstances.

4 hours ago, raki05 said:

The way Ganguli has shown aukaat to Mani and Wasim Khan I really liked it.waisey bhi Asian nations are back stabber so good call.

How Fractured BCCI Disagreed To Agree Over Sourav Ganguly As President

Cement Mama is out for blood, ICC boardroom battles will be fun now. 

SLCB isn't a backstabber. When we were at our weakest at the ICC table thanks to COA clowns (2017), Lankan board supported our proposed change in revenue model, only board that backed us then. 

Edited by Gollum

Asia cup is my favourite tournament and I wait for it eagerly every 2 years. Very upset with it being cancelled. sad.gif

Ganguly in that interview also gave a hint that Aust tour in Dec will most likely go ahead as per schedule.

Fate of IPL depends on T20 WC. If later happens....no window for IPL and it will be cancelled.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk