The Dullest Cricket Team

Dull Cricket  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these is the boring most side

Which team diminishes your interest in the game? Which team makes cricket totally unwatchable?

Which team is bad news for international cricket from a marketing PoV?

I am going to go with New Zealand.

Our semi final loss in the world cup, was one of the worst things that could have happened to world cricket.

A bunch of marketable 'stars' losing to relative nobodies doesn't do the sport any good. An India England final would have been a spectacle. One in which Indians would be emotionally involved. And maybe a few Englishmen too.

New Zealand is an effective side, which is basically a team is greater than sum of parts type outfit. In my living memory there has been no controversy around their side/players. They hardly have any recognisable faces. Most people wouldn't know a NZ cricketer if one walked past them in the street. Can't even name 5 NZ cricketers from all their sides combined. Williamson, Vettori, Ross Taylor. Who else? Bevan (not sure)? Bond; who I remember only because of the name.

I am glad England won that world cup. And I am glad the won it the way they did.

And these guys aren't even marketable locally. To further illustrate my point, go back to the forgettable champions trophy of 2017. NZ were sponsored by Amul. That is right, for a nation whose economic mainstay is sheep rearing/ milk production, Amul sponsoring their national team is an achievement of sorts. But this post is not about the greatness of Amul. Amul was their sponsor so that the Amul could get some "shelf time" for the Indian TV audiences. 

Another really dull side is Sri Lanka after the WC 2011 final. They've had a forgettable decade. After the likes of Malinga/Arnold retired from their side, there is no one to fill the gaps talent wise. All our recent games with them have been very one sided. Even Bangladesh put up so much more fight.

What are your views?

1 hour ago, maniac said:

I pick Srilanka but weirdly Srilankan conditions have produced some of the most exciting  test matches in recent times. Their LOI team is a snoozefest though.

They used to have a lot of flair in the 90s though.

All teams had flair in the 90s, there were no boring teams, not even Zimbabwe.

Right now in white ball cricket Team India->monotonous, no flair, formulaic approach, averse to innovation/risk. In tests RSA, extremely 1D.

Most boring team in history has to be Misbah's Pakistan, 2011-16 Pak played dry/boring cricket in all formats, an instant cure for Insomnia, no other team comes close. 

I find England a very boring side. They have no idea how to play "beautiful" cricket. Even in ODI cricket, despite their so called revolution, there's nothing organic about their cricket. It's just using a lot of bottom hand power and swinging it baseball style and bowlers running in and bowling restrictive lengths etc. 

NZ are not boring - As Kohli  has often said Williamson is a very attractive batsman to watch and times the ball and Boult is an artist when the conditions are right.

SL don't have the right players atm but the likes of Avishka and Kusal are good to watch .

SA , with the right players, too play a very attractive brand of cricket. 

Personally, I think England have, historically, played the most dull, unwatchable brand of cricket.

India in LOIs. Rohit + Kohli = sleeping pill, then you had Dhoni coming in .... One of the reasons I support guys like Pandya and Pant is at least the game becomes interesting because of them. 

PS It was good to see Eng pick up its game and win all of its must win games (Many of them virtual KOs)

Edited by zen
5 hours ago, maniac said:

I pick Srilanka but weirdly Srilankan conditions have produced some of the most exciting  test matches in recent times. Their LOI team is a snoozefest though.

They used to have a lot of flair in the 90s though.

Wierdly i have felt the opposite, maybe because i haven't really paid attention to their matches. I just couldnt bring myself to watch Herath bowling 3000 overs on the trot. TBH I havent really bothered watching their home tests since Murali retd. Even then when they batted it felt like Sanga n co crusing to score 500+ on those dead pitches.

8 hours ago, Stan AF said:

@Mariyam Did you even watch the final? :smiley:. It was one of the greatest games in ODI cricket.

I did. In parts. Okay, very small parts. Make that only the last 30 odd minutes.

People have not understood the wider point that I am making here. NZ is not a bad cricket team. Far from it. They are effective. Nor is their cricket particularly boring. My point is:

They don't have much in terms of recall value. They generate no controversy. They don't have any big name star players. These are the two things that impact recall.

Is there any NZ cricketer who would be remembered 20 years from now? Is there any NZ cricketer from the 80s/90s who we recognise as an all time great today?

I'm not even talking about the once in a millennium Sachin/ Dhoni type of players. But have they even produced someone of the calibre of a Kohli? Or a Dravid?

PS: Why are people citing India? India may play insipid cricket at times. But Indian cricket and its players always find a way to make the news. And stay relevant. At any given point of time, Team India is involved in some sort of a controversy. People are always keen to follow Indian cricket for precisely that reason.

Edited by Mariyam
1 hour ago, Vickydev said:

Wierdly i have felt the opposite, maybe because i haven't really paid attention to their matches. I just couldnt bring myself to watch Herath bowling 3000 overs on the trot. TBH I havent really bothered watching their home tests since Murali retd. Even then when they batted it felt like Sanga n co crusing to score 500+ on those dead pitches.

I am talking about recent times since the retirement of Murali,Sanga and Jaya. 

Remember the India-SL series where Chandimal played a blinder to win them a game and then Pujara played a blinder to win us the next game.

I also remember Aus and Nzl having very close test series there recently.

Even some of the Pak (Misbah era) vs SL have produced some close contests too even though on paper we would think those games would be like watching paint dry.

Yeah they have very inconsistent batsmen but once in a while some guy stands up and pulls of a miracle like that guy in SA Fernando or Perera or something.

I am talking about games played in SL conditions these days. They don’t produce Pattas any more. In fact their pitches gives even their fast bowlers a chance.

Edited by maniac
36 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

I did. In parts. Okay, very small parts. Make that only the last 30 odd minutes.

People have not understood the wider point that I am making here. NZ is not a bad cricket team. Far from it. They are effective. Nor is their cricket particularly boring. My point is:

They don't have much in terms of recall value. They generate no controversy. They don't have any big name star players. These are the two things that impact recall.

Is there any NZ cricketer who would be remembered 20 years from now? Is there any NZ cricketer from the 80s/90s who we recognise as an all time great today?

I'm not even talking about the once in a millennium Sachin/ Dhoni type of players. But have they even produced someone of the calibre of a Kohli? Or a Dravid?

PS: Why are people citing India? India may play insipid cricket at times. But Indian cricket and its players always find a way to make the news. And stay relevant. At any given point of time, Team India is involved in some sort of a controversy. People are always keen to follow Indian cricket for precisely that reason.

Their ATG X1 squad would include at least 4-5 players in the current era or from the last 10 years.

Boult,Williamson,Southee,Taylor,Vettori,Mccullum.

41 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Is there any NZ cricketer from the 80s/90s who we recognise as an all time great today?

Sir Richard Hadlee is greater than any cricketer India/the subcontinent has ever produced. Unfortunately, the subcon fans are more focused on regional players to remember such cricket heros :((

16 minutes ago, New guy said:

Other. Its india in LOI. Test indian team is very entertaining but LOI is the most boring 

All LOIs teams are boring right now. Six hitting looks so easy now.

I think ODIs died the day tailunt smashed 264. Batting was never the same after that innings.

Edited by MechEng