25 best batsmen of all combining test matches and ODI cricket equally?

Combining test matches and ODI's equally who was the best batsmen of all?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Combining test matches and ODI's equally who was the best batsmen of all?

• Sunil Gavaskar
    • Sachin Tendulkar
    • Viv Richards
    • Brian Lara
    • Miandad
    • Adam Gilchrist
    • Jacques Kallis
    • AB Devilliers
    • Virendra Sehwag
    • Rahul Dravid
    • Zaheer Abbas
    • Kumar Sangakkara
    • Greg Chappell
    • Alan Border
    • Martin Crowe
    • Mark Waugh
    • Virat Kohli
    • Steve Waugh
    • Inzamam UlHaq
    • Steve Smith

This is a list of my 25 best batsmen of all time ranked in order of merit combining test matches and ODI'S at equal level.

1.Sachin Tendulkar

Longevity unrivalled like the reign of a great emperor.His ODI innings at Sharjah in final sin 1998 and 98 v Pakistan in 2003 world cup come close to the best ODI knocks ever.Tendulkar at the to because of scoring 100 centuries and an aggregate of 30000 runs,which none will possibly ever equal.No batsmen ever faced so much pressure.Arguably may not have won as many games as he could have but still was the architect of many a famous win ,and championed many a crisis.Epitome of completeness in batting.

2.Viv Richards

At 2nd place Viv though he was more impetuous and a better match-winner ,because of not bearing the brunt of a weak side as much as Sachin and not matching his rival's longevity.Greatest match-winner and most impactful batsmen,although marginally marred with lack of consistency .Noone was more intimidating,or could deliver as much of a death blow to rivals.In ODI's at his best in tournament finals like when scoring unbeaten 138 in 1979 world cup .Without doubt best ODI batsmen of all time,who exuded the majestic aura of an emperor.

3.Brian Lara
Took batting art to regions of divinty traversing regions unexplored.Noone single-handedly turned or won so many games or bore the brunt of sch a weak team.Broke test world record twice in Trinidad in 1994 and 2004 while his 277 at Sydney and 153 n.o which were both scored against Australia,ranks amongst the best test inings of all time.In ODI's at his best when scoring centuries v South Afric ato win games in 1996 and 2003 world cup and when scoring unbeaten 153 v Pakistan in 1993.None wasmore mercurial for such a sustained duration.In test cricket Lara was simply majestic and possibly the best but not as prolific in ODI's.

4.AB Devilliers

Reminsecent of a circus acrobat who surpassed every batsman's strike rate in ODI's with his infinite imagination.Averaged over 50 in tests and ODI's which is remarkable.Devilliers was virtually a re-incarnate of Viv ,giving a new dimension to explosive batting.In recent times

5.Virat Kohli

I have rarely seen any cricketer so positive or with such asound temperament.Statistically he seems n the road to even surpass Tendulkar,but not as complete or at his best as Sachin in diverse conditions.Kolhli has no rival in all-round batsmanship ,in today's era.

6.Javed Miandad

The ultimate streetfighter who could be more a scourge in the eyes of opponents than even Viv Richards.A genius in his own right who could improvise as few batsmen could.Miandad exhibited grit more than anyone and niggled oponents more than the best batsmen of his time.

7.Ricky Ponting

Close to the best match-winners of his time and amongst the most accomplished attacking batsmen statistically.Played a great role in defining Australia as the supreme cricketing power.Ponting took domination to region sof the sublime,particularly against pace .For a period looked set to even surpassing Tendulkar.

8.Kumar Sangaakara

His record speaks fot itself with 63 international centuries .Statistically the best left handed batsmen ever but not at his best versus England,Australia and South Africa ,capitalizing on home pitches and weaker opposition.Still did avergae over 60 overal in Australia which was remarkable.Adjusting conditions of era and evaluating relative opposition and impact placed below Lara.Had a great average in tests won and saved of around 71.

9.Gordon Greenidge

Greenidge tore apart bowling with more clinical precision than nay opening batsmen of his time and scored more centuries and runs than even Viv Richards in test wins.Rarely has an opener beem more technically sound or pulverized bowling more.At his best close to a clone of Barry Richards.Played some of the most defining ODI knocks ,including in tournament finals.Consistency personified in ODI's averaging over 45 ,who wa sthe man of the finals in 1979-80 triangular tournament in Australia and was the leading scorer in 1979 prudential world cup.In test cricket debtatably the best batsmen in the world from 1984-87,with his three remarkable double centuries.

10.Sunil Gavaskar

Gavaskar was defensive but still the ultimate embodiment of batting skill, and on his day pulverized bowling.Broke batting records facing the best pace bowlers ever,and exhibited concentration at the depth of a Buddhist monk.No opening batsmen has equalled Gavaskar's 34 centuries in test cricket.In all types of conditions Gavaskar has come out on top.At his best when scoring 221 at the Oval in 1979 which all but pulled of a win in a record 4th innings run chase,96 on a broke wicket against Pakistan in 1987 ,and 129 v West Indies at Delhi in 1983-84.In ODI's bated like a master when scoring a match-wining 90 v West Indies at Berbice in 1983 and 103 v New Zealand in the 1987 world cup.

11.Greg Chappell

Greg Chappell was perfection personified blending correct technique with attacking skill like no middle-order batsmen of his era.Statistically adding WSC supertests and games versus Rest of the World the bets batsmen of the 1970's in test cricket.I can't also forget his unbeaten 124 in the 3rd prudential trophy game at the Oval in 1977 and his 131 at Lords in 1972.In tests no batsmen was more succesful against the great Calypso pace attack,including Packer cricket where he topped batting averages overall,and averaged 69 with 3 centuries in the West Indies.

12.Steve Smith

In tests statistically 2nd to only Bradman,having a characteristic unorthodox style with unusual stance.Not at his best against  the moving ball as exposed on seaming tracks in England but arguably the best ever on Australian pitches.Ranked lower as not as successful as Kohli in ODI's.Did not face as great opponents as Gavaskar or Greg Chappell,so ranked below them.Prolic inE ngland only on flat surfaces and not in wt conditions.

13.Graham Gooch

Dominated express pace bowing at a height arguably no opener ever did,taking the greatest Calypso pace quartet to the sword.Took England home to a famous win in the Carribean in 1986 in an ODI run chase.At his best when averaging over 57 with two centuries in Wst Indies in 1981 and when scoring 154 at Leeds v West Indies in 1991 in the most precarious conditions.Very prolific in 1987 Reliance world cup,topping run aggregate and scoring a match-winning century in the semi-final.

14.Steve Waugh

Took mental tenacity to its ultimate intensity exhibiting coolness in a crisis as few batsmen ever did.Made a complete metamorphosis in the 2nd half of his batting career averaging over 55 and batted better than anyone overseas in his time.Reminiscent of a surgeon performing an operation more than often.A major architect of Australia wining the unofficial world tst crown in West Indies in 1995 and retaining it in South Africa in 1997.

15.Inzamam U lHaq

Inzamam on his day ripped apart even the best bowlers,exhibiting a flair rarely bestowed on a cricket field.His 60 in 1992 world cup semi-final ranks amongst the best and most defining ODI innings ever.A master in run chases to take his team across the line like in India in 2005.Arguably the best match-winner amongst batsmen of his era,averaging over 78 and scoring 17 centuries in test wins.

16.Mark Waugh

In terms of sheer talent in the Lara or Tendulkar class ,but lack of temperament let him down.More talented and technically better than brother Steve who at his best outclassed his brother.Displayed great prowess against the fast,rising deliveries being at his best against the likes of Wasim,Ambrose or Donald.I can never forget his 125 in the 2nd test at Durban in 1997 on wearing pitch in the 4th innings which was a classic that won the game.His century v South Africa at Sydney in 1997 -98 was another gem.In ODI's his 173 v West Indise will be embedded in y mind forever and his 3 centuries in 1996 world cup in India.The best bat of his time on the onside and a better ODI btasmen than brother Steve.

17.Alan Border

In test cricket the ultimate champion in a crisis with the best record of any batsmen overseas.Could also be very effective on ODI's ,particularly as an opener.Often displayed the penchant in stepping up the run rate when required like agaisnt England in 1982-83.A champion in all types of conditions .

18.Rahul Dravid

The ultimate wall or epitome of consistency who could even overshadow Tendulkar on bad wicket.In a crisis the best batsmen of his time.An architect of India's most famous test wins in or against Australia or in Pakistan ,England and West Indies,At one stage statistically outclassed even Tendulkar and Lara,and had the 5th best overseas test record ever.Equally at home in all conditions which he proved scoring a 270 at Rawalpindi,a 148 at Leeds and a 233 at Adelaide .Averaged over 53 in test match and over 40 in ODI's.

19.Jacques Kallis

Staistically a giant and the best batsmen ever  amongst all-rounders to bat for your life.Displayed phenomenal consistency but at times not adequately stepping up the gas to turn or win games.Also scored a lot of runs paying against minnows or weaker teams.An all-time great without doubt even if he lacked flamboyance.

20.Martin Crowe

Wasim and Waqar rated Crowe even above Tendulkar and Lara.Arguably the most complete batsman of his time who averagaed over 66 in Australia and scored a 199 in West Indies.No right-hander played great bowling as effortlessly resembling a swan gliding through the water.Bore the brunt of weak team which is all the more praiseworthy.Topped batting averages in 1992 world cup.

21.Adam Gilchrist

Few batsmen ever looked as much as of they were setting a stadium on fire as Adam Gilchrist.No left-hander has been as explosive on a cricket field or turned a game 180 degrees so abruptly as Gilly.Intimidated bowlers in ODI's more than Tendulkar or Lara and at one stage averaged over 60 in tests.Amongst the 5 best match-winners of all time.

22.Zaheer Abbas

No batsmen rivalled him for sheer majestic grace which he took to heights of divinty.Averaged over 44 in test cricket and 47.62 in ODI's which speaks for itself.In tests the best batsman on flat tracks like when scoring double centuries in England in 1971 and 1974 and against India at home in 1978-79 and 1982-83.His 93 v West Indies in 1979 prudential world cup semi-final was a classic.

23.Clive Lloyd

The ultimate epitome of consistency who was at his best agaisnt the express pace of Lille and Thomson,topping batting avergae and run aggregate in 1975-76.Prolific in any type of conditions and overshadowed even Viv Richards in test from 1981-85.His batting in ODI's played a crucial role in victories in triangular tournaments in Australia in 1981-82 and 1984-85 and in the 1975 inaugural Prudential world cup.

24.David Gower/Mohammad Azharuddin

Both revealed batting wizardry at heights of divinty resembling poets or musicians on a cricket field.Posessed silken touch with strokes like the touches of  a painter's brush,yet taking any attack by the sword. Azhar was the better player of spin and more prolific in ODI's.Gower was with the very best against genuine pace and had the best overseas average in the 1980's in the Carribean.Both averaged  around 44 in test matches but Gower had the better record overseas.In tests I would give Gower the edge,bit in ODI's Azhar was ahead.

26..Aravinda De Silva /Saed Anwar

Craftsmanship revealing the subtle oriental artistry of subcontinent .Aravinda was a master on bad wickets with the soundest technique .Anwar could dissect or destroy bowling as much as Lara on his day.

Edited by Harsh Thakor

Ill pick kohli 

Odi avg - 59

Test - 53

Yes ODI runs have been easy to come but test cricket hasnt been easy for batsman . He has scored runs everywhere specially in conditons like Sa, Aus and england also last tour he had 600 runs . Even in indian conditions he avg 68 , some of the pitches hasnt been easy in last few years. Add to that burden of captaincy and 3rd format in which also he is supreme . 

14 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Ill pick kohli 

Odi avg - 59

Test - 53

Yes ODI runs have been easy to come but test cricket hasnt been easy for batsman . He has scored runs everywhere specially in conditons like Sa, Aus and england also last tour he had 600 runs . Even in indian conditions he avg 68 , some of the pitches hasnt been easy in last few years. Add to that burden of captaincy and 3rd format in which also he is supreme . 

Great choice but to me not faced same calibre of opposition as Sachin or been as explosive as Viv or ABD.In first part of career Tendukar faced more pressure or brunt of carrying team on his shoulder.Kohli has not equalled Sachin's best in both forms of the game.Nor as punishing as Viv or ABD.

What are your top 5 in order?

Edited by Harsh Thakor
14 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Ill pick kohli 

Odi avg - 59

Test - 53

Really Sorry,forgot to include Kohli in poll.I have instated his name now.Please now place your vote .I admire your choice but have given my reply.Kindly list your top 5 in order.

Sachin, Kohli, Punter, Viv, Ab & Gilly (considering his wk ability as well)

Kohli has actually achieved everything except clutch knock in odi worldcup which he can do in 2023 worldcup and then he would probably at top of my list.

35 minutes ago, Harsh Thakor said:

Kohli has not equalled Sachin's best in both forms of the game.Nor as punishing as Viv or ABD.

everyone will have some in their favour and some not, ill show whats in kohli's favour 

• Compare sachin runs as captain vs kohli as captain
  • I think Kohli has been far better then his peers then sachin was in odi 
  • show me how many 100s these guys have while chasing and finishing 
  • Sachin had 6-200s, kohli already 7 and long way from retirement 
  • Kohli avg is better then all 
  • About punishing, despite abdv having extra gear he hasnt done much in international t20 whereas kohli is a freak 

The ones i have seen

Special mention- Kallis and gilly whose value in the end was way way more then many 

1. Kohli 
  2. Sachin
  3. ABDV
  4. Ponting 
  5. Sanga

• I havent seen Viv play
  • Lara again didnt see much in ODI, mostly saw in test 
  • Sehwag was an underachiever in ODI
  • @Harsh Thakor- i think even hussey deserve a name in the list ...avg of 51 in tes and 48 ODI 
16 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

The ones i have seen

Special mention- Kallis and gilly whose value in the end was way way more then many 

1. Kohli 
  2. Sachin
  3. ABDV
  4. Ponting 
  5. Sanga

• I havent seen Viv play
  • Lara again didnt see much in ODI, mostly saw in test 
  • Sehwag was an underachiever in ODI
  • @Harsh Thakor- i think even hussey deserve a name in the list ...avg of 51 in tes and 48 ODI 

Thanks.deeply appreciate even if I disagree.well projected.

53 minutes ago, maniac said:

Sachin

Viv

Ponting

Lara

Kohli/AB (Tie)

Sehwag/Gayle (Tie)

Why Viv so much behind Sachin?Was he not more explosive,better match-winner and more impactful at his best?Remember Viv has been the hardest to bowl to by the greatest pace bowlers and even contemporary greats place him at the top.Otherwise I appreciate your list.

1 hour ago, Nikola said:

Sachin, Kohli, Punter, Viv, Ab & Gilly (considering his wk ability as well)

Kohli has actually achieved everything except clutch knock in odi worldcup which he can do in 2023 worldcup and then he would probably at top of my list.

Great list but why Viv behind Kohli and Punter with hi outstanding performances?Was not Viv the best in his peak and ultimate match-winner?

1 hour ago, Harsh Thakor said:

Why Viv so much behind Sachin?Was he not more explosive,better match-winner and more impactful at his best?Remember Viv has been the hardest to bowl to by the greatest pace bowlers and even contemporary greats place him at the top.Otherwise I appreciate your list.

Because quality of bowling in the 90s and 2000s in ODis was way superior than quality in the 80s.  Can you give me the names of bowlers Viv played in his era that match these names?

Wasim

Waqar

Shoaib

Saqlain

Gul

Asif

Sami

Mcgrath

Warne

Gillespee
Lee

Johnson