India's Greatest ODI cricketer

zen

Contenders (or for reference in some categories):

• Overall batting: Sachin - avg 43, Dhoni (mainly batted in middle order) - avg 50, and Kohli - avg 59 (so far)
  • SR demon (batting): Sehwag - SR 103 (esp. high in his time)
  • AR: Kapil (though went w/o scoring a 50 in the last 6-7 years of his career)
  • WK: Dhoni 
  • Overall Bowling: .... 
  • SR demon (bowling): Shami - SR 28 (so far)
  • Captaincy: Ganguly and Dhoni

Who is India's greatest ODI cricketer? Dhoni appears in many categories. 

Edited by zen

its a tough pick between among Sachin, Kohli, dhoni 

2nd tier- rohit n yuvi

Kapil i havent seen a lot

Bumrah has play a lot more as of now 

But while choosing dhoni wud be the 1st name , not that i mean other 2 were any less but becoz of the value he brings in a team

• As captain, who can win big tournaments......few captains around that world had that quality 
  • WK- batsman
  • Can bat all over the order specially lower middler order, as in india ull find many who can bat in top 3
  • consistent 
  • Plays acc to situation 
Edited by Ankit_sharma03

Kapil, not only was he ahead of his time he also played a big role in helping that mediocre Indian ODI side win 2 big trophies in 80s, when standard of cricket was damn high. Win 2x over ATG WI, double phainty to Pakistan in BH, what more to ask? In my all time ODI XI, he will be among the top 5 picks along with Viv, Akram, Warne, Gilly. 

Ranking:

Kapil

Sachin

Dhoni

Rohit
Yuvi

Special mention to Srikkanth and Gambo, main architects in 3 ICC (50 overs) finals and both good players for their era, both match-winners. 

Edited by Gollum
15 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

In terms of captaincy also if not dhoni ill give it to kapil, gambhir or rohit coz ganguly in the end didnt knew how to win tournament unless its a miracle like Natwest.

'83 win was great but India played under less pressure. In '85 World Series in Aus, Gavaskar was the captain if I am not wrong 

Gambhir and Rohit have not captained India consistently. Rohit has won tournament as captain against Asian teams w/ Ind beating BD in final

Under Ganguly, India reached finals of many tournaments, and won a few including the 2002 ICC Champions trophy (shared with SL). Moreover, we saw a change in attitude and players such as Yuvi and Zak being backed iirc  

Edited by zen
4 minutes ago, zen said:

Gambhir and Rohit have not captained India consistently. Rohit has won tournament as captain against Asian teams w/ beating BD in final

dont care about that , if we fantasizing and i have better options avl why not 

Rohit n gambo have won IPL also, they know how to win multiple team tournament whereas kohli and ganguly doesnt. Bangldesh or asian but thats what they have captained in.

Also ganguly wont be in my ATG ODI XI or 15-16

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
25 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

dont care about that , if we fantasizing and i have better options avl why not 

Rohit n gambo have won IPL also, they know how to win multiple team tournament whereas kohli and ganguly doesnt. Bangldesh or asian but thats what they have captained in

Buddy, this is not fantasizinging but listing an opinion based on information available for ODIs so far (not T20s). Gambhir and Rohit have only captained in less than 10 ODIs each. While Ganguly has captained in over 140 matches, winning tournaments such as 2002 ICC Champions Trophy (shared with SL) and Natwest, while making it to finals of many including 2000 Champions Trophy and 2003 WC. 

PS there is a nice discussion on Ganguly v Dhoni - Link

MS Dhoni has marginally edged out Sourav Ganguly as the more impactful captain in a Star Sports survey, in which two of India's most successful captains were judged across a number parameters developed in collaboration with ESPNcricinfo.

While Dhoni was rated the best ODI and home-Test captain by significant margins, Ganguly was the clear winner in the away-Test captaincy category. Ganguly was also rated the better captain in terms of the team he developed from the players he inherited.

Edited by zen

Zak deserves an honorable mention for fast bowling, maybe over Shami as well, considering Shami doesn't bowl well in the death, while Zak does.

Yuvi deserves a mention as an AR. He was Man of the Series in 2011, and his bowling was crucial then. 

Edited by Tibarn

My list

1. Kapil Dev - near ATG  ODI bowler..... had an avg: of 25.59 till  15 Dec 91 after bowling almost 9000(convincingly larger than other bowlers of his time) balls. Kapil's peak 106 inns  stretch is from 21 Dec 1980 to 19 Oct 1988. Here he avg:ed 29.84 @106.95 str( Botham played only106 inns). So he was a very good  batsman too.Add his captaincy & fielding , he is by far the best

2. Dhoni - great ODI batsman & finisher, great WK & a great captain

3.  Sachin - great ODI batsman. a good utility bowler & a safe  all round fielder  

4. Kohli - great ODI batsman & finisher

Edited by rtmohanlal
10 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

its a tough pick between among Sachin, Kohli, dhoni 

2nd tier- rohit n yuvi

Kapil i havent seen a lot

Bumrah has play a lot more as of now 

But while choosing dhoni wud be the 1st name , not that i mean other 2 were any less but becoz of the value he brings in a team

• As captain, who can win big tournaments......few captains around that world had that quality 
  • WK- batsman
  • Can bat all over the order specially lower middler order, as in india ull find many who can bat in top 3
  • consistent 
  • Plays acc to situation 

Rohit is top tier now, at par with Sachin, Dhoni & others. He is one of the greatest ever in the world, let alone India. If he had scored another knock in semis last year, he would have been arguably numero uno for India.

However I agree with @Gollum ranking overall, coz that stats booster doesn't belong there even if scores 20,000 meaningless runs.

I agree Kapil had a huge role to play in popularizing cricket. But cricket was always a religion, even if India would be losing. People like Sunny, Bedi, Pataudi etc were heroes too.  So, my take is that even without 83 win, cricket would have survived in India. 

My vote will go to Sachin. He transformed cricket world itself, not just India. He created the consumerism that cricket saw post 90's. 

More than that, Sachin made his debut in a team which had no backbone. And he took that responsibility and scored runs. He was a living god, a stature Kapil was never blessed with. 

So, Sachin and just Sachin for me.

9 hours ago, kruiser said:

If Kapil was not there, this would have been an IndianGilliDandafans.com

Cricket thrived in India due to 83 win and it was made possible by one person only.. rest of them went to England on vacation.

Harsh, it was a complete team effort, just like '85. One can say Kapil was the one who instilled self-belief in that bunch but boy did everyone come to the party including mediocre players like Madan Lal, Sandhu, Yashpal Sharma. Binny and Amarnath played beyond their abilities 

Gavaskar was the only real letdown in that tournament but I guess an exception can be made, Lloyd's dismissal in the final was planned by him and that was his only real contribution.  

They are all good answers and I can't refute others preferences. IMO when it comes to ODIs, Dhoni>Kapil>Sachin>Yuvi>Rohit>Kohli. I factor into my view, winning world cups, big match performance and consistency over a period of time. This doesn't mean other players mentioned are less worthy as the margins are very less. Its just my opinion that Dhoni and Kapil have captained teams that won more world cups and Sachin popularized cricket into its current state.