We are Indians, Not South Asians

coffee_rules

South Asia

"South Asia or Southern Asia is the southern region of Asia, which is defined in both geographical and ethno-cultural terms. The region consists of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka.[5][note 2] Topographically, it is dominated by the Indian Plate and defined largely by the Indian Ocean on the south, and the Himalayas, Karakoram, and Pamir mountains on the north. The Amu Darya, which rises north of the Hindu Kush, forms part of the northwestern border. On land (clockwise), South Asia is bounded by Western Asia, Central Asia, East Asia, and Southeast Asia.

The South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) is an economic cooperation organisation in the region which was established in 1985 and includes all eight nations comprising South Asia.[7] South Asia covers about 5.2 million km2 (2.0 million sq mi), which is 11.71% of the Asian continent or 3.5% of the world's land surface area.[5] The population of South Asia is about 1.891 billion or about one-fourth of the world's population, making it both the most populous and the most densely populated geographical region in the world.[8] Overall, it accounts for about 39.49% of Asia's population, over 24% of the world's population, and is home to a vast array of people.[9][10][11]"

1 hour ago, Tibarn said:

I agree with the sentiment, but the speak I find cringe-worthy

Ok, can you tolerate such nonsense shown below, if you don’t like this speak? It is already too late to fight the stereotype and we are still bothered about the speak? Wake up and smell the coffee. Samosa is as Indian as Yoga. We need to fight for our identity.

Edited by coffee_rules

1 minute ago, coffee_rules said:

Ok, can you tolerate such nonsense shown below, if you don’t like this speak? It is already too late to fight the stereotype and we are still bothered about the speak? Wake up and smell the coffee. Samosa is as Indian as Yoga. We need to fight for our identity.

Neither samosa nor coffee originated in India.  Samosa originated in Iran.  Coffee in Ethiopia.  

6 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Neither samosa nor coffee originated in India.  Samosa originated in Iran.  Coffee in Ethiopia.  

I never claimed coffee to be Indian. But why are you being pedantic? Where is Samosa famous in? Why can’t you call it a Indian dish? Yoga has no religion, but Samosa is so facking Irani? Right? That is my point. Although, Early Indic literature shows potato stuffing in flour was an accepted veg dish. No, we shall put down all credible Indic sources

20 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

I meant to say speech, I made a typo...

The speech was cringe-worthy. I stand by that.

Regarding your example: nothing about my identity has to do with samosa. Yoga is part of Hinduism. Samosa is some food I don't even like. They aren't part of any identity I care about. It's laughable to compare the two, IMO.

Edited by Tibarn

2 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

I never claimed coffee to be Indian. But why are you being pedantic? Where is Samosa famous in? Why can’t you call it a Indian dish? Yoga has no religion, but Samosa is so facking Irani? Right? That is my point. Although, Early Indic literature shows potato stuffing in flour was an accepted veg dish. No, we shall put down all credible Indic sources

Yoga is Hindu, no doubt.  Who denied that?  

From what I have read, samosas originated in Iran.  Would love to read the Indic literature about it and be corrected.  Regardless, it is just a food item and tracing its origins should be fun exercise.  Why the rage?  So what if Samosa is not Indian?  A million other amazing dishes are Indian.  The variety is mind-boggling.  Fusion cuisine is a proud part of our history - we were doing fusion-cuisine before it was even a thing.  Only today (from this thread) am I realizing that samosa's origins are such a sore point.   What next?  Rage over claims that sambar's origins were actually in Maharashtra?  

BTW, potatoes originated in Peru.  Just an interesting factoid.  

10 minutes ago, Tibarn said:

I meant to say speech, I made a typo...

The speech was cringe-worthy. I stand by that.

Regarding your example: nothing about my identity has to do with samosa. Yoga is part of Hinduism. Samosa is some food I don't even like. They aren't part of any identity I care about. It's laughable to compare the two, IMO.

Ok, fair enough. But my OP was to point out that it would s already too late to fight this trend. There is a South Asian History dept in western academia and a south Asian culture dept. Samosa and Yoga are just examples. Replace Samosa with idli. The same manasikta to disassociate with India is being made, claiming some Indonesian source. Also. Hing. This is not picking some few examples. There is a focused attempt to take Indian SC out of usage and replace it with South Asian

55 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Ok, fair enough. But my OP was to point out that it would s already too late to fight this trend. There is a South Asian History dept in western academia and a south Asian culture dept. Samosa and Yoga are just examples. Replace Samosa with idli. The same manasikta to disassociate with India is being made, claiming some Indonesian source. Also. Hing. This is not picking some few examples. There is a focused attempt to take Indian SC out of usage and replace it with South Asian

I agree with that.

The University I am at currently threw a Holi celebration sponsored by South Asian Students Org, and the president of that org said that Holi has nothing to do with religion. It's just a South Asian color throwing festival :facepalm: However, I think it is usually them appropriating/stealing Hinduism as South Asian.

I think that it is a problem within India as well. Those who claim that things like Yoga has nothing to do with religion or some Bengali leftists who claim that Durgo Pujo isn't a religious event. 

Edited by Tibarn

So effing tired stupid ads on Indian channels in US keep spouting South Asian, South Asian... like they are ashamed to claim Indian identity unless and until our high achiving neighbors are not included in the count under the tag "south Asian" :wall: 

I guess, it is good to own the "South Asian" brand too and tie it with India's. 

Also overseas, there is generally a community feeling among South Asians. When it comes to classifications, it is easier to manage categories - for e.g. West European (or European) vs. French, British, German, etc. 

7 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Missed the point totally. It is not how great India, but time for the world to acknowledge us, not club us into south Asians or Asians. They can call us simply Indians.

Well in America all East Asians are called Asians whether they are from rich Japan and Korea or poor Philippines and Cambodia.

Just like how everyone groups South Indians as the same even though there are differences between each state.

On 8/8/2020 at 12:07 AM, BacktoCricaddict said:

I've tried the original sambusa which has chicken filling and not beef. It was way blander than the Indian version.

10 hours ago, First class said:

I never heard  a Pakistani disguise him/herself as Indian ??? 

I've heard of atleast one. he was an american born pakistani who used to say he was Indian American. I've heard of several bangladeshis who start "Indo-Pak" restaurants and one Pakistani who owned "indus" restaurant. Technically speaking Indus maybe in present day Pakistan but when Americans see Indus they think Indian. Why doesn't that guy start a restaurant marketing it as authentic pakistani cuisine :cantstop: I know some Afghans who don't do that and start promoting their own style