Ind vs SL 1996 World Cup League Match

Laaloo

To think SL's population is less than half of NCR's

Third world country like India with weaker cricket infra

They were in the middle of a civil war then and even Colombo was under siege

Not as cricket crazy as Indians/Pakistanis

New entrants to the sport

Came to India, ghar mein ghuske maara 2x. Then stunned superclutch Aus in the final, first team to win a WC final chasing. That losing finalist (featured Warne, McGrath, Bevan, Waughs, Ponting, Fleming) would go on to become the GOAT ODI side.

Mad respect to the islanders. P4P a greater cricketing nation than India by an order of magnitude.

Edited by Gollum

The stunned silence from the Kotla crowd when he was going berserk was even better than a horror movie. Pin drop silence.

Tony Greig if I remember correctly was needling the usually talkative Sunny G in the commie box that even he has gone quiet like the crowd.

When you're a kid these are images/events that you rarely forget.

Edited by Stan AF

That's why I have high regard for Sehwag than anyone else. Irrespective of match profile the guy usually take attack out of opposition and take their best bowlers and blow them away. He literally created fear amon opposition irrespective of sub par avg in odi. I consider him greatest match winer for India even in odi he was one man show and I don't agree he can't play swing coz I remember during NZ series around 2003-04 he performed and made 100 with his usual 100 sr when india has to chase 199 and none of the batsmen from either team crossed 30 runs and India won that match by just one wkt. Same was the case durin sl test series when he single handed score 200 out of india total of 300 and won the match for us in that Murali, Mendis series. I can only hope if we ever have batsmen like Sehwag.

Edited by raki05

Have to admit, Indian cricket is the perfect definition of the word 'mediocre'. Over the years and decades, the team has always been this way. The wins are all predictable and whenever a different strategy s unveiled by the opponent, there's no answer from us. 

Having said that, Jayasurya is a legend of the game and if he was an Indian instead of a Sri Lankan, he would have been hailed alongside Sachin and Dravid. Just doesn't get the respect he truly deserves.

9 minutes ago, raki05 said:

That's why I have high regard for Sehwag than anyone else. Irrespective of match profile the guy usually take attack out of opposition and take their best bowlers and blow them away. He literally created fear amon opposition irrespective of sub par avg in odi. I consider him greatest match winer for India even in odi he was one man show and I don't agree he can't play swing coz I remember during NZ series around 2003-04 he performed and made 100 with his usual 100 sr when india has to chase 199 and none of the batsmen from either team crossed 30 runs and India won that match by just one wkt. Same was the case durin sl test series when he single handed score 200 out of india total of 300 and won the match for us in that Murali, Mendis series. I can only hope if we ever have batsmen like Sehwag.

Absolutely agreed. In crunch games, you need your players to bring their x factor to the table. Whatever India won over the years has been due to such players..

Amarnath, Srikanth, Kapil in 1983

Gambhir, Yuvraj, Dhoni in 2007, 2011

1 hour ago, raki05 said:

In batting, offense is the best defense. A batsman's primary role is to always find a way to score runs. The quicker, the better.