Players' earnings set to go over the roof in IPL 2nd season

CSK Fan

Players' earnings set to go over the roof in IPL 2nd season http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/IPL_players_earnings_set_to_go_over_the_roof/articleshow/3014406.cms MELBOURNE: The Indian Premier League (IPL) is all set to scrap the $5 million cap on the players' salaries from next season onwards, a move that could see top cricketers earn as much as a whopping $15 million (Rs 61 crore approx). The IPL had put a cap of $5 million (just over Rs 20 crore) for the franchises this year to prevent the very rich team owners from splurging too much. But with the inaugural edition turning out to be a major success, the players are set to reap the rewards in the next season. "If we hadn't done that, I can tell you that our players would already be the highest-paid across any sport in the world," IPL chairman and commissioner Lalit Modi was quoted as saying in a newspaper. "It will happen - if not today, then tomorrow. Because once the franchises have established themselves, it will be a free-for-all," he added. The report stated some leading Australian cricketers like Matthew Hayden and Brett Lee can expect a several-fold hike in their pays when they go back to play the next season after their short stints this time. Indian ODI skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni, who fetched the maximum bidding price of Rs 6 crore this season, reportedly told a senior Australian player last week that extraordinary contracts of up to $14-15 million were likely to be introduced by the next season. Hayden confirmed that players were up for a financial windfall when the next season of the IPL gets underway. "From what I have heard, some of the stuff (payments) this year could be just the tip of the iceberg," Hayden said.

Whoa, england players thought they were gonna have it large once this Sanford came along but IPL is gonna be massive there seems to be some hate of IPL in England, i was watching this tv program yday where they were putting it down a bit (Im gonna download it once i find it on the net and upload it)

Whoa, england players thought they were gonna have it large once this Sanford came along but IPL is gonna be massive there seems to be some hate of IPL in England, i was watching this tv program yday where they were putting it down a bit (Im gonna download it once i find it on the net and upload it)
They shouldnt remove the cap for then it would become a boring game like baseball, where there are teams with fat wallets like Yankees, winning infinite championships (and occasionally disappointing) Mumbai Indians would buy everyone

They've said they had a cap initially for that reason' date=' but they're now going to remove it, they must have a pretty good reason[/quote'] I can't imagine the reason - anybody have any good ideas as to how this would be good? The only thing I can think of is that groups like Reliance/UB can splash in a lot more money than anyone else, thus removing parity, which makes the league exciting... I want a league of stars, but not all the best stars in 1-2 teams....it would be nice to spread out the best talent amongst all groups, and thus ensure parity between teams, thus making games close etc, making teams more fun to watch etc... this is what what the salary cap does (which is one of the reasons why american football, for example, is most popular sport in US).

They shouldnt remove the cap for then it would become a boring game like baseball, where there are teams with fat wallets like Yankees, winning infinite championships (and occasionally disappointing) Mumbai Indians would buy everyone
true but what the fuk yankees have done since 2000, fuk all in baseball for a payrool of close to 250 million. but for sure there should be cap in india otherwise relainace and after that ub group will kill others. by the way i hate yankees ( being a die hard METS fan) luv the mets and whoever plays yankees (skankees) go JETS, METS, SENATORS.