Harbhajan unmasked - Ponting

Bumper

Harbhajan has been 'unmasked' - Ponting http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/350600.html Cricinfo staff May 10, 2008 Ricky Ponting: "He [Harbhajan] has again done something wrong" © Getty Images Ricky Ponting said Harbhajan Singh has been "unmasked" by the slapping row with Sreesanth, which came just a few months after the Australians had on-field issues with Harbhajan during the Test series in Australia. Ponting said it was a concern that the Sreesanth controversy was just the latest in a string of incidents involving Harbhajan. "The incident was him dealing with a guy that he has probably played 20 Tests with," Ponting told the Courier-Mail. "After this latest issue in India, I think people should be making their own judgments about Harbhajan. He has again done something wrong." Meanwhile, Ponting's former Australia team-mate Shane Warne, who is captaining the Rajasthan Royals in the IPL, felt the controversy would only help Harbhajan. "I can't believe everything which is read," Warne said. "What has happened is good in a sense. Harbhajan has realised he has done wrong, he is embarrassed. It was good that he admitted straight away that he done some thing wrong. "The ups and down come in every players life. It may bring a turnaround for him." Ponting said he and his team-mates were keen to move on from the issues during the Australian summer, when Harbhajan was accused of calling Andrew Symonds a "monkey". Harbhajan was initially banned for three Tests but was later cleared after his appeal, and Ponting said of the verdict: "It certainly wasn't the outcome that we expected." Ponting conceded the Australians showed several lapses of judgment during the series but he was frustrated that issues were magnified in the press. "Most of us would put our hands up and say we made a few minor errors last year," he said. "I think the thing that happened was that every time there was a minor error it was turned into something that was a lot bigger than it was. I was reading things about Harbhajan and having run-ins on the field when we didn't talk to each other in the course of the day." © Cricinfo

If Bhajji is capable of beating his team mate, he surely is capable of racial abuse against a team that he has never liked. I have no doubt after this episode Bhajji would have abused Symonds. Whether that abuse can be treated as racial or not is debatable but Bhajji is very much capable of using racial slurs against an opponent.

The Aussies (esp Ponting' date=' Hayden & Symo) must've been laughing their a$$ off since the slapgate.[/quote'] Not that those freakin cheats are any saints, but yes, they must have been thrilled. Our crowd shud boo those Punter, Haydos, Symo during the OCT test matches in India.

If Bhajji is capable of beating his team mate' date=' he surely is capable of racial abuse against a team that he has never liked. I have no doubt after this episode Bhajji would have abused Symonds. Whether that abuse can be treated as racial or not is debatable but Bhajji is very much capable of using racial slurs against an opponent.[/quote'] Ravi, that would typically be the first reaction but I see that everyone is in a rush to put two these episodes together. ..and frankly santh and symonds are not your gentlemen cricketers either I know sikhs are considered hot headed and all, but I think we are taking the aussie episode and visual-cry baby as the base of his punishment. What about sequence of events and instigation? everything wasn't caught on camera, punish but don't go overboard. Bhajji is not my fav cricketer by any stretch but I am very sad by the "bury him" attitude I see everywhere

seriously guys, they are two different episodes. We may not believe Bhajji, but we should not doubt Sachin's integrity, should we? Bhajji is embarrased, he has accepted all the charges and he did not even blame Sreesanth for provacation. Its easy to make mistakes but difficult to accept it. Bhajji has accepted it and he is guilty, Warnie is right, he will be different person after this episode Lets not punish him more than he deserves. He already lost 3 crore Rs. thats a big punishment.

seriously guys, they are two different episodes. We may not believe Bhajji, but we should not doubt Sachin's integrity, should we? Bhajji is embarrased, he has accepted all the charges and he did not even blame Sreesanth for provacation. Its easy to make mistakes but difficult to accept it. Bhajji has accepted it and he is guilty, Warnie is right, he will be different person after this episode Lets not punish him more than he deserves. He already lost 3 crore Rs. thats a big punishment.
No, he needs to be banned for Tests and ODIs. Anything less means he got off too lightly.

This case provides shocking evidence of how Indian sub-constables (which i believe is Bhajji's current designation, after having failed a basic numeracy and literacy test for promotion) treat unfortunate punters when they feel like sticking it up to them (or up theirs, if you were so inclined). Bhajji has got away with slapping many petty criminals in the alleys and bylanes of Jullunder, "Twadda stole a bicycle? Thwack!" It got to the stage where itsy bitsy pilferers or muggers would see Bhajji approaching, and give themselves out. Of course, by the law of averages, Bhajji could never get batsmen on the cricket turf to do the same. Not Bhajji's fault. You can't buck statistics, not unless you are CC, and had a virulent dislike for people who profess that a noble game such as cricket can be measured with piffling numbers. It wasn't Bhajji's fault either that on that fateful day, Sreesanth's sneering, Veerappan like visage, reminded Bhajji of his day job, activating that Pavlovian reflex that epitomises every duty loving sub constable in Punjab Police. Thwack! Sreesanth's reaction was very un-Verappan like, but at least he lived to tell the story, unlike the Robinhood of Mysore. (BTW, is it just me that feels that Symonds has more than a passing resemblance to Verrappan, as well? You can see where Bhajji was coming from at Sydney, can't you? Shameful of Veerappan's mom not to have disciplined him when he was young. She got what she deserved from the doyen of Indian constabulary). Alas, in the mad scramble for IPL, nobody noticed that crime rates on the streets of our beloved Jullunder were on the up, missing its gallant young law enforcer, so sadly ensnared by cricket. There was only one way to restore SS Gill-like calm on the troubled alleys....you guessed it, reclaim Bhajji from his annoying pastime on the national team, where he had been steadfastly preserved with despite a very mediocre record at the urgings of surd criminals-that-be. All part of a much larger conspiracy, of course. Did you read the article on McMafia in The Times? My respect for Bhajji has gone up exponentially. Sacrifice a million dollars and more to protect the innocent on his beat! Could you have done it?

At the Sydney hearing, Bhajii of course tried that well worn getaway line that we Indians have resorted to since time immemorial when bushed into a corner, "Ain't your mom, my mom as well?" To which, Symond's somewhat deflating rejoinder was, "Not really... my Mom isn't called Coolwinder Cord." Really Bhajji, you should have seen it comin'.

No' date=' he needs to be banned for Tests and ODIs. Anything less means he got off too lightly.[/quote'] and IPL, the main moneymaker Why don't they just hang him, after all its a crime to slap a hero/joker. These cricketers are monks, making money and have no aggressive behavior..my god, pick on the serdi..its in them to fight, leave the croc tears and good boy BS to the other guy

:hysterical::hysterical: i say, ban the mofo for life.... this is something tht has never happened and should never happen again... if this was allowed, Steve waugh would have had a burial in west indies a long time bak..