What song are you currently listening to ?

Rajiv

Bheega Aasmaan - Dhol Dastaan E Om Shanti Om - Om Shanti Om BTW I remember creating a similar thread on bukhaar a few months before we moved and I listed a few songs in the OP. The ever inquisitive bahadur asked me if I was recommending those songs or asking people if they were any good? :hysterical:

Bheega Aasmaan - Dhol Dastaan E Om Shanti Om - Om Shanti Om BTW I remember creating a similar thread on bukhaar a few months before we moved and I listed a few songs in the OP. The ever inquisitive bahadur asked me if I was recommending those songs or asking people if they were any good? :hysterical:
bahadur always had too much time on his hands:hysterical:

Patriotic Songs, Poems, Sayings of India which you remember This thread is inspired by the thread for National anthem. During our primary school (4th to 7th standard) we used to sing following song for Indian Flag (Tiranga Jhanda). We call it -- Rashtriya Dhwaja Geet, in Hindi......still love this song.:two_thumbs_up: Vijayi vishwa tiranga pyaara Jhanda uncha rahe hamara Sadaa shakti sarsaane waala, Prem sudha barsaane waala, Veero ko harshaane waala, Maatru bhoomi ka tan-man saara, Jhanda uncha rahe humara. Swatantra ke bheeshan raNa mein, Lakhkar josh badhein kshan-kshan mein, Kaape shatru dekh kar man mein, Mit jaye bhay sankat saara Jhanda uncha rahe humaara. Is jhande ke neeche nirbhay, Rahein swaadheen hum avichal nishchay. Bolo Bhaarat maata ki jay. Swatantrata ho dhyey humara Jhanda uncha rahe humaara. Aao, pyaare veero! Aao; Desh- dharm par bali-bali jao Ek saath sab mil kar gaao, Pyaara Bharat desh humaara, Jhanda uncha rahei humaara. Iski shaan na jaane paaye, Chaahei(n) jaan bhale hi jaye, Vishwa vijay karke dikhlaaye, Tab hove praan poorna humaara Jhanda uncha rahe humaara, Vijayi vishwa tiranga pyaara.

See one example from Kavitavali of Sant Sri Tulsidas: भलि भारतभूमि, भलें कुल जन्मु, समाजु सरीरु भलो लहि कै। करषा तजि कै परुषा बरषा हिम, मारुत, घाम सदा सहि कै।। जो भजै भगवानु सयान सोई, 'तुलसी' हठ चातकु ज्यों गहि कै। नतु और सबै विषबीज बए, हर हाटक कामदुहा नहि कै।। Translate: First fortune of all, born in the land of Bharat, then too in a good family, even then with an able body. With such ample fortune, only those are clever says Tulsi, who leaving aside all sternness, praise Bhagwan, even at the cost of bearing the harsh weathers. Otherwise, he has only seen people ploughing with Kamdhenu pushed on a yoke, just the farm of poison-seeds. This example is just to highlight that, there is always a consciousness about India in the words of our Sants -- they often refer Bharat as PuNya Bhumi...!!

Sandtest saab namaskaram. Personally I am not a big fan of National Anthems/songs. Dont get me wrong I love Jhanda Ooncha Rahe Hamara, Saare Jehan se Accha and of course Jana Gana Mana. And greatly love Vande Matram too but my personal favorites are often the patriotic songs from movie simply because they convey the emotions of humans deeper. Take this line from the song Honthon ko sacchai rehti hai, jehan dil mein safai rehti hai... Mehmaan Jo Hamara Hota Hai Woh Jaan Se Pyara Hota Hai Jyada Ki Nahin Lalach Humko Thode Mein Guzara Hota Hai Bacchon Ke Liye Jo Dharti Maa Sadiyon Se Sabhi Dukh Sehti Hai Hum Us Desh... It captures the essence of India, specially the cowboy belt brilliantly. Or take this para by Santosh Anand from Kranti - Chana Jor Garam (a highly underrated song) Apni dharti apna hai watan yeh mera hai mera watan is par jo aankh uthaayega jinda dafnaya jaayega.... Mera chana hai apni marzi ka marzi ka bhai marzi ka. It is impossible, for me atleast, to listen to the two songs and not get moved. Funny thing is these are not even my favorite patriotic songs!! There are so many memorable paragraphs tattooed permanently to my brain. xxx

Lurker guru, I agree with you. There are many bollywood movie songs which can move us with their simple and down to earth meanings. You mentioned song , Mera Chana hai apni marzi ka, is one of them, it's my all time fav. as well. Bhagat Singh movie of Rajkumar Santoshi (one which Ajay devgan is Bhagat).....that Punjabi song "Pagadi Sambhal Jatta" is historic one. particularly those folks here who are from Punjab/haryana and can understand Punjabi a bit will know how deep meaning it carries.. I found out Punjabi lyrics of that song and meaning, it's simply awesome when considered with British Raj scenario. Pagrhi sambhaal oh jatta; pagrhi sambhaal oh Faslaan nu kha gaye keerhe, tan te nahin lere lirhe Bhukaan ne khhoob nachorehe, ronde ne bal oh Pagrhi Bande ne tee leader, raje te khan bahadur Tenu le khaavan khafir, vlchh de ne jaal oh- Pagrhi Hind hal tera Mandir, usda pujari tu Challega kadon tak, apni khumari tu Larhne te marne di, kar le tayari tu - Pagrhi Seene te khaave teer, Ranjha tu desh hai heer Smbhal ke chal tu vir--Pagrhi Tussi kyoon dabde veero, uski pukar oh Ho-ke ikathe veero, maro lalkaar oh Tarhi do hattharh bajje, chhatiyan nun tarh oh Pagrhi sambhaal jatta, pagrhi sambhaal oh Translation: Gaurd your self respect O' farmer Your crops am being destroyed by insects, you suffer forbeing ill clad Famines have taken a heavy toll, your dependents are made to weep in anguish Jagirdars and Khan Bahadurs set themselves up as your leaders They are setting traps to exploit you India is your temple and you are its worshipper How long will you remain under the spell of lethargy? Prepare yourself for a fight to death You may have to face repression Love your country as Ranjha loved Heer Tread cautiously courageous one Your motherland wants you to shed thoughts of cowardiceBe united and give a threatening challenge. Join hands and put up a brave front O' farmer guard your self-respect. This became a battle song for Punjab revolutionaries during British India.

Ekbar biday de ma..Bengali song of Khudiram Bose, gets me into tears, even if I don't get the lyrics. What a sad ending to his life. Here's a English translation of that song: Let me go ma once, let me visit hang myself with smiling and the whole Bharat will see it Oh I will hang myself while smiling and the whole Bharat will see it Let me go ma once, let me visit After preparing a bomb Was standing beside the street o ma Instead of killing the boro Lat, I killed another English Let me go mother once, let me visit On Saturday, the court was full of people o ma O ma Khodiraam was sentenced to death Let me go ma once, let me visit 12 lakhs and 33 Crore Are your sons-daughters o ma With them live, make them your slaves Let me go ma once, let me visit After 10 months and 10 days I will be born in aunt’s house oh ma If you can’t recognize, see the rope in my neck O ma if you can’t recognize, see the rope in my neck Let me go ma once, let me visit [English Translation of the famous Bengali song: Ekbar Biday de Ma]

Excellent one there CA. How did you happen to know about Khudiram Bose if you dont mind me asking..:smile:
As kids, We used to read those small "Bharata-Bharati" books on prominent heroes of Indian freedom struggle. They were written in local languages (Kannada). I don;t know if other languages in India had such books printed. Also, I remember shedding tears watching the movie on one of the DD's sunday afternoon regional films, this one was in Bengali (B&W old movie).

As kids' date=' We used to read those small "Bharata-Bharati" books on prominent heroes of Indian freedom struggle. They were written in local languages (Kannada). I don;t know if other languages in India had such books printed. Also, I remember shedding tears watching the movie on one of the DD's sunday afternoon regional films, this one was in Bengali (B&W old movie).[/quote'] Great to hear that CA :thumbs_up: Khudiram Bose belongs to the list of the very first group of revolutionaries. These people are highly uncelebrated, as compared to say Bhagat Singh, hence my question. Another one like Bose is Kartaar Singh Saraaba. Incidentally he is the person who inspired Bhagath Singh greatly and his(Saraaba's) couplet was often quoted by Bhagath Singh Sewa desh ki jaaneman hai badi mushkil baat karni to badi aasaan hoti hai. (Loosely meaning - It is extremely tough to work for your Motherland, though talk comes fairly cheap)