Rajiv

Watched any new movies? *Please use spoiler tags*

47 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

@Ankit_sharma03

Didn't Naya Daur re-release in colour some years ago? I don't think it did too well.

Neither did Mughal-e-Azam.

Nope mughal e azam re released was a big hit

Obv these films wont work in theatres if made same way, 3 hrs film in todays time with so many songs no one will go but if that script is made acc to today style it ll work as they have a very strong base of script . KJo himself confesses how stupid was KKHH hia

i liked dil to pagal hai na hum apke hai kon but DDLJ, KKHH n Hum dil de chuke sanam were damn overrated  films 

Also re: David Dhawan. He needed that star cast. A Govinda. A Kader Khan. to make those movies special. Who today can replace these people?

he had stars problem and his films were hits as well but  his films were looked down upon n so was other comedies. Why was govinda hardly nominated for lead roles ...they use to nominate him for comic roles , he was bloody good as an actor in those films as good as srk or salman in their films infact govinda was way better. At that times comedies were looked as relief not real films ....today someone like rohit shetty who has made bang avg films has recognition n big hits. 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

7 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

.had david dhawan made films today he wud have been a legend so wud have been RGV but in their times they werent . 

RGV had a bunch of talented crew, his movie quality was beyond his time. But, when they all left him and he was surrounded by a bunch of yesmen, his movie quality went spiraling down, when he made a joke called RGV ki pichwade ki Aag. He is now a bum tweeting insensitive jokes on April 1st day

@Ankit_sharma03 did you just compare Rgv with David Dhawan?

One was a hack who stole from South Indian comedy films and made them over the top and gaudy and found success and the other RGV was a guy who changed the entire  film Industry as it is today. Obviously he had an expiry date but it’s blasphemy to put the 2 as film makers in the same sentence.

1 hour ago, maniac said:

One was a hack who stole from South Indian comedy films and made them over the top and gaudy and found success and the other RGV was a guy who changed the entire  film Industry as it is today. Obviously he had an expiry date but it’s blasphemy to put the 2 as film makers in the same sentence.

For me Satya is on par if not rated higher than Sholay. No other movie is as raw and with so many good performances by the  ensemble , every char was etched and distinct. It is a director’s dream product. Company comes very close second, but for miscast of Monhanlel.Raat or Rathri was a failure for me because of the cast, but Kaun was too good in that genre.

Dhawan is a different class, can’t be compared in the same genre. Compare Dhawan with Manmohan Desai, a product of their times. Who did well, but nothing noteworthy like RGV. 

3 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

RGV had a bunch of talented crew, his movie quality was beyond his time. But, when they all left him and he was surrounded by a bunch of yesmen, his movie quality went spiraling down, when he made a joke called RGV ki pichwade ki Aag. He is now a bum tweeting insensitive jokes on April 1st day

RGV turned his film making into experimental lab and it was all by choice. He is a narcissist. He started making Films for himself.

11 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

sholday would 

naya daur would it has a great chase 

Mother India im not sure since ppl dont buy sad stories easily now

but they all were great films n stood the time. Film buss doesnt stand for good film.....had david dhawan made films today he wud have been a legend so wud have been RGV but in their times they werent . 

KKHH n DDLJ are not great films by any stretch of imagination .

No. Don't think Sholay or naya daur would have worked today.

2 hours ago, rkt.india said:

No. Don't think Sholay or naya daur would have worked today.

Sholay was a potboiler it ll work in any era. Surely cant keep the length of the film same an entertainer will work any era. When films like dabangg, singham, simba worked which was basically 80s potboiler cinema...sholay was miles ahead.

Even naya daur will work- provided length n everything are made acc to today. Whereas ddlj or kkhh on script level will not work only. 

5 hours ago, maniac said:

Hey bhagwan where did i compare them ??? 

I said 2 film makers who if they had made films in diff times wud have diff status n rewards. Ill add one more name abbas mustan. All of their films wud have had more success now instead of johar n chopra films in todays time . RGV for me was betted then kashyap. David dhawan n he cant be compared ....i compared him to rohit shetty. 

Rohit got the succcess which david deserved...kashyap got what rgv deserved. 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

53 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Sholay was a potboiler it ll work in any era. Surely cant keep the length of the film same an entertainer will work any era. When films like dabangg, singham, simba worked which was basically 80s potboiler cinema...sholay was miles ahead.

Even naya daur will work- provided length n everything are made acc to today. Whereas ddlj or kkhh on script level will not work only. 

Hey bhagwan where did i compare them ??? 

I said 2 film makers who if they had made films in diff times wud have diff status n rewards. Ill add one more name abbas mustan. All of their films wud have had more success now instead of johar n chopra films in todays time . RGV for me was betted then kashyap. David dhawan n he cant be compared ....i compared him to rohit shetty. 

Rohit got the succcess which david deserved...kashyap got what rgv deserved. 

You are mistaken that Sholay's story and script are as irrelevant today as kkhh or ddlj. Sholay wasn't a potboiler cinema. 

6 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

You are mistaken that Sholay's story and script are as irrelevant today as kkhh or ddlj. Sholay wasn't a potboiler cinema. 

sholay was a revenge saga....revenge saga will work even 100 years from now . It was heavily inspired by seven samurai a film which came around 1955 i think and sholay 20 years later....and revenge saga works till date . 

sholay wasnt a potboiler ??? haha then what was it ?? 

Ramesh Sippy’s 'Sholay' was a cult movie that significantly contributed in designing the course of pot-boiler entertainment in many ways. Indian films have always been a mixed bag of clichés and of hackneyed plots; 'Sholay' gave the filmmakers fodder for a perfect pot-boiler masala. '

https://www.news18.com/news/movies/5-bollywood-trends-that-germinated-from-ramesh-sippys-sholay-1038381.html

Seeking inspiration from films like Seven Samurai and Once Upon A Time In The West, Ramesh Sippy turned this  vendetta-story into a hardcore commercial potboiler that had all the ingredients one needs to make one

https://bollyworm.com/features/what-makes-ramesh-sippys-sholay-a-classic/

For every time I watch Sholay telling myself that it is nothing more than a 'brazen potboiler,' the movie works.

https://www.rediff.com/movies/column/sreehari-nair-the-sins-of-sholay/20150817.htm

Do a google search or ask any one they ll tell u it was a potboiler infact almost a perfect one 

3 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

sholay was a revenge saga....revenge saga will work even 100 years from now . It was heavily inspired by seven samurai a film which came around 1955 i think and sholay 20 years later....and revenge saga works till date . 

sholay wasnt a potboiler ??? haha then what was it ?? 

Ramesh Sippy’s 'Sholay' was a cult movie that significantly contributed in designing the course of pot-boiler entertainment in many ways. Indian films have always been a mixed bag of clichés and of hackneyed plots; 'Sholay' gave the filmmakers fodder for a perfect pot-boiler masala. '

https://www.news18.com/news/movies/5-bollywood-trends-that-germinated-from-ramesh-sippys-sholay-1038381.html

Seeking inspiration from films like Seven Samurai and Once Upon A Time In The West, Ramesh Sippy turned this  vendetta-story into a hardcore commercial potboiler that had all the ingredients one needs to make one

https://bollyworm.com/features/what-makes-ramesh-sippys-sholay-a-classic/

For every time I watch Sholay telling myself that it is nothing more than a 'brazen potboiler,' the movie works.

https://www.rediff.com/movies/column/sreehari-nair-the-sins-of-sholay/20150817.htm

Do a google search or ask any one they ll tell u it was a potboiler infact almost a perfect one 

It was a revenge drama but it's premise isn't relevant today. 

Pelli choopulu - overrated , drag of a film

Oh my kaduvale - another overrated film

North 24 katham - lost its way in between but very decent film.....fahad as usual is top notch

Moneyball - i was very involved but kind of lost patience in end

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - no words... Brilliant

Charlie - didnt like it....left in between

@Ankit_sharma03

I think Yash Chopra (and to a lesser extent KaJo) had his finger on the nations pulse. He knew what would work when.

Deewar, Chandni, Lamhe, Silsila, DDLJ, Veer-Zara, Mohabbatein he knew what the audience would appreciate.

DDLJ was the first major film to tap into the NRI market. Partly because the characters were NRIs/PIOs.

Forget re-release. Try going to Maratha Mandir on a weekday for the DDLJ 11am screening. Its not necessary that you would always get a ticket at the counter. It still has some pull.

A love story, that too a timeless one like DDLJ, will always get in the audiences. It has a huge 'feel good effect' about itself that a Sholay or a Satya or a Naya Daur don't.

2 hours ago, Mariyam said:

@Ankit_sharma03

I think Yash Chopra (and to a lesser extent KaJo) had his finger on the nations pulse. He knew what would work when.

Deewar, Chandni, Lamhe, Silsila, DDLJ, Veer-Zara, Mohabbatein he knew what the audience would appreciate.

DDLJ was the first major film to tap into the NRI market. Partly because the characters were NRIs/PIOs.

Forget re-release. Try going to Maratha Mandir on a weekday for the DDLJ 11am screening. Its not necessary that you would always get a ticket at the counter. It still has some pull.

A love story, that too a timeless one like DDLJ, will always get in the audiences. It has a huge 'feel good effect' about itself that a Sholay or a Satya or a Naya Daur don't.

Yash chopra was very good....but think both aditya n karan are srsly overrated thats why they are living on one films name whole life. Their others films didny recieve same response even though earned money .

Ddlj aint timeless... The basic idea of a guy wanting to get approval wont stand time . Infact most love stories conflict wont stand time. Recently kjo only said in an interview love stories aint working in bollywood so they are not producing it for big screen anymore. In maratha mandir ull find die hard fans but question is - is it making new fans ? 

If a film that has grown among ppl its andaz apna apna . Not denying its impact specially nri market but it aint relevant anymore.....films catering local flavor came back n how. Catering nri audience was just a phase which these guys exploited . 

Ddlj more then feel good will fall under romantic films. A film like banglore days will fall under feel good films. 

Nay daur was more of underdog story which will work across era.

Sholay revenge saga - will work always. 

If you want to understand the 2007-08 financial crisis first watch Inside Job (2010), then The Big Short (2015), you'll enjoy them both but watch in the order I mentioned . I also watched Queen of Versailles, nothing special, deals with the crisis peripherally and the characters are annoying, but if you are interested in the lives of the super-rich and how they were affected go ahead.

Next in line, already started Collapse

8566Q0s.jpg

Once I have finished them all, I can recommend which all are worth watching and the proper order. 

There are a few more movies and docs about not just the financial crisis but economy in general, once I am done with these I will open my EHD for more of this stuff. The ones mentioned in previous post are the more popular ones post 2008. I come from engineering background, so these helped me get some idea about an alien subject. Man these economists and wall street jackasses deliberately complicate simpler stuff to confuse the general population, uppity SOBs, then people blame us STEM folks for using too much jargon. 

@velu you are from economics background? Have you watched any of these movies? 

5 minutes ago, Gollum said:

There are a few more movies and docs about not just the financial crisis but economy in general, once I am done with these I will open my EHD for more of this stuff. The ones mentioned in previous post are the more popular ones post 2008. I come from engineering background, so these helped me get some idea about an alien subject. Man these economists and wall street jackasses deliberately complicate simpler stuff to confuse the general population, uppity SOBs, then people blame us STEM folks for using too much jargon. 

@velu you are from economics background? Have you watched any of these movies? 

bc .. i was a hardcore c programmer  :csk: :hs: 

i watched margin call , too big to fail and collapse in your list ..  collapse is a boring documentary

watch boiler room , big short , rogue trader , arbitrage , wolf of wall stree ( both if you had not watched )

barbarians at the gate is my favorite finance related book , but the movie is not as good as the book 

On 4/5/2020 at 6:34 AM, Gollum said:

If you want to understand the 2007-08 financial crisis first watch Inside Job (2010), then The Big Short (2015), you'll enjoy them both but watch in the order I mentioned . I also watched Queen of Versailles, nothing special, deals with the crisis peripherally and the characters are annoying, but if you are interested in the lives of the super-rich and how they were affected go ahead.

Next in line, already started Collapse

8566Q0s.jpg

Once I have finished them all, I can recommend which all are worth watching and the proper order. 

I have seen the last 3. Wall Street is a typical masala movie, not that good rest are pretty good.

On 4/5/2020 at 6:57 AM, velu said:

bc .. i was a hardcore c programmer  :csk: :hs: 

i watched margin call , too big to fail and collapse in your list ..  collapse is a boring documentary

watch boiler room , big short , rogue trader , arbitrage , wolf of wall stree ( both if you had not watched )

barbarians at the gate is my favorite finance related book , but the movie is not as good as the book 

I liked Boiler room better than Wolf of Wall Street. Also weird watching Vin diesel not blowing up stuff or beating up people

12 minutes ago, maniac said:

I liked Boiler room better than Wolf of Wall Street. Also weird watching Vin diesel not blowing up stuff or beating up people

boiler room is closer to real about pump and dump , but WWS is more fun to watch :Giggity:

i think these pump and dump scams are far more prevalent in our market even now .. use to receive 3/4 calls and few SMS everyday from indore alone :mad: 

On 3/27/2020 at 8:48 AM, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Kaithi - now thats what u call a masala action film.....total blast of a film

Action movie of John Wick genre. Amazing , but a bit of melodrama expected in an Indian movie, is kahani mein action hain, emotion hain, drama hain, melodrama hain, tragedy hain,  felt like killing that snitch of a cop with the white t-shirt myself. Lotsa of emotion

@Gollum

Ended up seeing the first two episodes of Chernobyl. You, as well as the others who suggested it, are right. It is a well made docu-series.

However, I decided to stop viewing it. It is all the more depressing given our current situation. Maybe a few months ahead in less gloomy times.

One can't help but notice the similarity with the situation today. The political class (US mainly) refusing to pay heed to the scientists. Replace firefighters with health workers, faulty dosimeters with insufficient/subpar testing and radiation with corona virus. Far too many parallels to spook me out. 

Your other recommendations too, time permitting: "Hum dekhenge... lazim hai ki hum bhi dekhenge"

26 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

@Gollum

Ended up seeing the first two episodes of Chernobyl. You, as well as the others who suggested it, are right. It is a well made docu-series.

However, I decided to stop viewing it. It is all the more depressing given our current situation. Maybe a few months ahead in less gloomy times.

One can't help but notice the similarity with the situation today. The political class (US mainly) refusing to pay heed to the scientists. Replace firefighters with health workers, faulty dosimeters with insufficient/subpar testing and radiation with corona virus. Far too many parallels to spook me out. 

Your other recommendations too, time permitting: "Hum dekhenge... lazim hai ki hum bhi dekhenge"

Yes, lots of articles in US press comparing the current situation to Chernobyl. Makes Chernobyl even more 'universal' in some sense...no longer can the Americans sneer at Russians and think this would never happen here.

Katilon ke Katil (1981)

Wanted to see a film staring Rishi Kapoor. This one is a multi starer so also has Dharmendra, Zeenat Aman, Tina Munim, and Amjad Khan. 

It is a typical 80s masala action fun film so will not win awards. Good for a laid back time pass. Liked some songs as well. It was a box office hit. 

Paatal lok is so brilliant, probably the best wb series to come out of India. Story, characters, dialogues excellent and so are the actors - Jaydeep Ahlawat, Abhishek Bannerji, Neeraj Kabi, Swastika Mukherji, Gul.Panag, Ishwak Singh and even the actors doing small characters like Cheeni, Chaku, Firangi.. all so good :bow:

Saw Sonar Kella  by Satyajit Ray.

I quite liked it. Totally gripping movie.

Saw it with subtitles and I'm not a fan of that. Would love to see a version that is dubbed.

Bengali is difficult to comprehend. Aside of a few words here and there, I didn't follow much. Or maybe the Bengali used here is a pure/text book kind.

I'm kind of spooked too.

Will have to keep the lights switched on in all the rooms for a while, much to the displeasure of the others.

35 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Saw Sonar Kella  by Satyajit Ray.

I quite liked it. Totally gripping movie.

Saw it with subtitles and I'm not a fan of that. Would love to see a version that is dubbed.

Bengali is difficult to comprehend. Aside of a few words here and there, I didn't follow much. Or maybe the Bengali used here is a pure/text book kind.

I'm kind of spooked too.

Will have to keep the lights switched on in all the rooms for a while, much to the displeasure of the others.

Hadn't you watched it earlier? I remember you recommending this movie to me a long time back. 

Bengali is quite easy to follow, watch a few more movies and you will find it easier. For sure simpler than all Southie languages especially for someone with your background. 

4 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Hadn't you watched it earlier? I remember you recommending this movie to me a long time back. 

Bengali is quite easy to follow, watch a few more movies and you will find it easier. For sure simpler than all Southie languages especially for someone with your background. 

Not in one continuous sitting. Had seen it over a period of 2-3 days.

It is a nice movie. I won't give out spoilers, but the narration is great for a story that has been done to death in Bollywood at least. Probably he set the trend for movies of this genre.

I seen six of Satyajit Ray's movies thus far.

Apu Triology

Sonar Kella

Shatranj ke Khiladi ( Hindi, and the worst of the six)

Charulata

Yes, Bengali is easier than South Indian languages. Maybe these guys speak very fast. And it seems very tonal.

16 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Not in one continuous sitting. Had seen it over a period of 2-3 days.

It is a nice movie. I won't give out spoilers, but the narration is great for a story that has been done to death in Bollywood at least. Probably he set the trend for movies of this genre.

I seen six of Satyajit Ray's movies thus far.

Apu Triology

Sonar Kella

Shatranj ke Khiladi ( Hindi, and the worst of the six)

Charulata

Yes, Bengali is easier than South Indian languages. Maybe these guys speak very fast. And it seems very tonal.

Watch Agantuk. Have some kickass South movie recommendations if you are in the mood. 

2 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Watch Agantuk. Have some kickass South movie recommendations if you are in the mood. 

Sure go ahead.

On which platform do I see Agantuk?

PS: found it on YT.

14 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Sure go ahead.

On which platform do I see Agantuk?

PS: found it on YT.

Since this is pandemic time first watch the Malayalam movie Virus, then Take Off and Sudani from Nigeria, all Mallu movies. Tamil ones, try Vada Chennai and Merku Thodarchi Malai. All these are recent flicks, last 5 years. Don't want to list 10-20 movies else you may feel discouraged. Just try a few of these and let me know what you think. I will recommend more based on your feedback :icflove:, and there are other posters here who know much more about South cinema, in fact if you go 3-4 pages back it was them that got me interested in the first place. My view of South movies has changed thanks to them. 

If you want the torrent link and subtitles I can PM you.

Edited by Gollum

On 5/18/2020 at 9:19 PM, Sgattick10 said:

Paatal lok is so brilliant, probably the best wb series to come out of India. Story, characters, dialogues excellent and so are the actors - Jaydeep Ahlawat, Abhishek Bannerji, Neeraj Kabi, Swastika Mukherji, Gul.Panag, Ishwak Singh and even the actors doing small characters like Cheeni, Chaku, Firangi.. all so good :bow:

Agree. Fantastic series.

No doubt old mate @coffee_rules will throw a tantrum about this. But than again, he gets his "gyaan" from Twitter. Not a chap anyone should take seriously.

6 hours ago, EnterTheVoid said:

Agree. Fantastic series.

No doubt old mate @coffee_rules will throw a tantrum about this. But than again, he gets his "gyaan" from Twitter. Not a chap anyone should take seriously.

Well, good for you. Nobody is forcing you not to like it.  you guys deserve such series,  But in SM it gets the treatment it deserves. 

Edited by coffee_rules

@Gollum

I saw Virus. Thought it would be apt to see this particular movie given the condition that the world is in. Just today Maharashtra has almost 3000 new cases. :(( 

I liked the movie over all. If you try and relate the response of the medical team today and their measures re:PPE and all that, the makers of the movie have got a lot of stuff right. The docudrama style narration is also really nice. They say that this is based on true events. Does Kerala have a centralized epidemiology department. The level of co-ordination among various departments seems too good to be true. If the health care in Kerala is really this organized, hats off!

What I did not like is that there are far too many characters in this movie. Sometimes it is difficult to keep track. They should have made a series out of this.

Parts of the movie, especially those to do with the silent spread of the virus are similar to the plot line in Robin Cook's book Vector.

All in all I liked it. Thanks for the recommendation.

15 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Well, good for you. Nobody is forcing you not to like it.  you guys deserve such series,  But in SM it gets the treatment it deserves. 

Pataal Lok is riveting viewing. Along with the likes of Sacred Games and a couple of episodes of Quantico.

Perhaps not to the liking of you and your coffee drinking high horse.

45 minutes ago, EnterTheVoid said:

Pataal Lok is riveting viewing. Along with the likes of Sacred Games and a couple of episodes of Quantico.

Perhaps not to the liking of you and your coffee drinking high horse.

Couldn't watch beyond first episode. Very stale subject. Been there, seen that stuff. 

8 hours ago, Mariyam said:

@Gollum

I saw Virus. Thought it would be apt to see this particular movie given the condition that the world is in. Just today Maharashtra has almost 3000 new cases. :(( 

I liked the movie over all. If you try and relate the response of the medical team today and their measures re:PPE and all that, the makers of the movie have got a lot of stuff right. The docudrama style narration is also really nice. They say that this is based on true events. Does Kerala have a centralized epidemiology department. The level of co-ordination among various departments seems too good to be true. If the health care in Kerala is really this organized, hats off!

What I did not like is that there are far too many characters in this movie. Sometimes it is difficult to keep track. They should have made a series out of this.

Parts of the movie, especially those to do with the silent spread of the virus are similar to the plot line in Robin Cook's book Vector.

All in all I liked it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Actually thats what i liked about virus that it didnt follow any 1-2 particular character. It was about ppl who got together and worked together to get over that crisis. ...no bullshiting around....

If u wanna see such kind of subject with human stories its Chernobyl  but then that was a series that had time to do it but with films its not that easy. They took more of thriller approach to keep audience engaged. 

12 hours ago, Mariyam said:

@Gollum

Glad that you liked it, you watched Agantuk (on YT, Eng subs there)?

Watched Andhadhun today morning, will give it a 7.5 or 8, enjoyed it. Second half could have been better, stopped me from giving it an 8.5 or 9, will give my detailed review when I am in the mood, feeling lazy now. 

6 hours ago, Gollum said:

Glad that you liked it, you watched Agantuk (on YT, Eng subs there)?

Watched Andhadhun today morning, will give it a 7.5 or 8, enjoyed it. Second half could have been better, stopped me from giving it an 8.5 or 9, will give my detailed review when I am in the mood, feeling lazy now. 

Second half is messed up in Andhadhun.