The Health and Fitness Thread

The Outsider

Re: The Health and Fitness Thread

I am around 5'10 and weight 74 kgs(163 pounds). I am fairly strong but I want to start some weights. How should I start things off?
Gambit. There are three keys to a good exercise lifestyle(sorry at the onset if I bore you). The first one is Exercise. The second is Food. The third is rest. If I have to put weightage I would say exercise is 40%, food is 30% and rest is 30%. If you workout good, eat right and sleep 7-8 hours you are set. Okay so now when you say start to use some weights do you want to bulk up, as in increase in size or more about toning yourself and cutting the body fat? Let me know and I would be more than glad to help. If you want I can help you with a workout routine, food to eat, supplements to take and all of that crap. :hmph:

Treadmill and biking outdoors. My diet is as follows: Breakfast - 2 bananas + a glass of milk Lunch - Usually salad but sometimes a chicken sandwich Dinner - anything goes. Pasta/ pizza/ roast chicken/ chicken curry. I work out so that I can enjoy my dinner. :hmph:
I always find running on a treadmill to be much easier than running outdoors. On a treadmill you can slow down and still be at the same automated pace but when you are running outdoors you need to push your legs forward and exert more pressure. A few years ago i noticed that i could run the equivalent of a mile in 5 mins 30 secs but outdoors it took me exactly one minute longer. Anyway, i quit running a long time ago. I just don't enjoy it. Took up swimming instead - absolutely love it. I swim 30 laps in a 25 yard pool every other day. Nothing better if you are looking for a hardcore cardio workout. On days i can't venture outside my room (inclement weather or whatever) then i use my trusty jump rope. 20 mins of fast skipping (125-130 in a minute is my pace) will leave you feeling pumped. Recently i took to manual workouts. Got a pull up bar between my door; i am on it all the time. Knock out 3 sets of 20-25 reps with 1 minute rest in between - it leaves your arms, shoulders and chest feeling very strong.

Re: The Health and Fitness Thread 95 lbs You can have some of my lbs. I am 6ft and 196 lbs I am trying to get to 180 lbs !!!!!! Giving up any of the Lb's coupled with the thyroid deficiency makes it very difficult to lose any weight.

I need some tips for an exercise and diet regimen to gain some weight. I'm 5'6" and I weigh 95 lbs :eew:
Aditi. For your height I would say you should be around 110-120 lbs. That is a round figure of course and depending on your body type it may be a few pounds here and there. Regardless of that you are underweight so here is my question. Why are you cycling on stationary bike? If anything that is taking away your vital calories. What you need to do is this. First of all eat more. Now I know you must have heard this before but it is true. You need to eat food that bulks your body in right way. Not sure if you eat meat but if you do then chicken and eggs should be high on your list. Add to that good carbohydrates like brown rice and potatoes. Fruits and veggies are great if you like them. And use good fat as in dry fruits/nuts etc. Try to eat 3-4 hours. Since you work from home that should be easy but if you are travelling have a fruit with yogurt or nuts every 3-4 hours and 3 solid meals. Dont want to flood you with too much info :hic: let me know if you have any questions. xx

Lurker post some pics yaar. I am 6'1, 183 lbs.
I sure will Pred. Thats a good height to weight thing you have. What supplements, other than Creatine, do you take Predator? Whats your average day(supplement wise)? xxx

I sure will Pred. Thats a good height to weight thing you have. What supplements, other than Creatine, do you take Predator? Whats your average day(supplement wise)? *****
I don't do supplements anymore, 'cos i am satisfied with what i have got atm. Don't want to gain anymore weight. Currently, all i am using is Muscle Milk (http://www.mrprotein.com/pageimages/cytosport/musclemilkrtd.jpg) - you can find it in any GNC or Vitamin World store. I usually drink it immediately after working out. Earlier i was using creatine. Diet is pretty simple - basically, it's just lots of Starkist tuna, white meat (grilled on my Foreman) and skimmed milk. Throw in some Balance protein bars, peanut butter on wheat bread, Kashi Go-Lean Cereal (you can find it for under $2.50 at your local Walmart or Target, well worth it !), Chilli and that's pretty much it. I suppose i could use more veggies in my diet, eh.

I don't do supplements anymore, 'cos i am satisfied with what i have got atm. Don't want to gain anymore weight. Currently, all i am using is Muscle Milk (http://www.mrprotein.com/pageimages/cytosport/musclemilkrtd.jpg) - you can find it in any GNC or Vitamin World store. I usually drink it immediately after working out. Earlier i was using creatine.
Muscle Milk is good. I used it for a while. Have you given Whey Isolates proteins a try after workout? Any popular brand shall do really(I use Optimum Nutrition or Isopure). Have some quick dissolving sugar(with creatine) and Whey after workout and your return shall be maximum. You would probably know this of course. xxx

I am around 5'10 and weight 74 kgs(163 pounds). I am fairly strong but I want to start some weights. How should I start things off?
Gambit. There are three keys to a good exercise lifestyle(sorry at the onset if I bore you). The first one is Exercise. The second is Food. The third is rest. If I have to put weightage I would say exercise is 40%, food is 30% and rest is 30%. If you workout good, eat right and sleep 7-8 hours you are set. Okay so now when you say start to use some weights do you want to bulk up, as in increase in size or more about toning yourself and cutting the body fat? Let me know and I would be more than glad to help. If you want I can help you with a workout routine, food to eat, supplements to take and all of that *****. :hmph:
Thanks Lurker. I don't want to gain weight intentionally though. I just want to start doing some weight for an overall body toning. How many sets and of what would you recommend I start with?

Re: The Health and Fitness Thread Thank you, Lurker! Just what I was looking for! I do eat meat at least 3-4 times a week, tend to lean heavy on the chicken. Dinner is usually veggie Gujju meal (3 rotis, vegetable, daal and rice).

Re: The Health and Fitness Thread I have eased down now that the WC is around but usually put in about 4-5 hours of gym work a week. I'm of similar build as Gambit, 5'10" and weigh about 75 kgs. Pretty heavy on the upper body and quite lean on the lower :lol: Working out legs is always a tough ask for me. I also play fair bit of cricket during summer, 3 nets session of 2 hours each and a full Saturday/Sunday depending on whether we are scheduled to play 50 overs or unlimited version. During summer I lose a lot of weight, roughly about 3-5 kgs. I think that is to do with cricket that I play pretty piously. As for diet I eat anything and everything. Usually try to go for vegetarian unless of course I can't find a veggie meal. I take iron supplements, Vitamin C (about 1000 mg/day), a protein bar (about 40g after the gym session) and take good intake of yogurt, milk. The days of heavy protein drinks and creatine are over for me. I used to be pretty big few years ago (no fat but just muscles) and appreciated the big shoulders, biceps et al but not anymore. I must have shred about 6-8 kgs over the years and am happy to be lean. It is natural in early 20s to desire to look big.

Muscle Milk is good. I used it for a while. Have you given Whey Isolates proteins a try after workout? Any popular brand shall do really(I use Optimum Nutrition or Isopure). Have some quick dissolving sugar(with creatine) and Whey after workout and your return shall be maximum. You would probably know this of course. *****
I did use Whey protein; can't remember the brand though - there are so many out there. Buying a 4 pack of Muscle milk now for $12 or so is good enough What is your top bench BTW ? I don't necessarily mean a max, but the heaviest weight you can do 5 reps with.

Thanks Lurker. I don't want to gain weight intentionally though. I just want to start doing some weight for an overall body toning. How many sets and of what would you recommend I start with?
Gambit. Here is one of my personal theories about working out. See if you find a resonance here somewhere with your thoughts. I personally want to have a decent figure and good health but I do not want to be so dependent on the gym and supplements that tomorrow if I am in a place where I can't find them I just become a fat ba$tar*. Here is a thumb rule for that. There are three key exercises(broadly speaking). Bench press(chest), Squats(legs) and Deadlifts(back). Your goal should be to make sure you are able to lift your body weight in all the three. What it means for you is that you should be able to bench, squat and deadlift around 165 pounds. Why do I say body weight? Because tomorrow if you do not have access to a gym you should be able to do 25 pushups at a go. Pushups are basically bench press with your body weight. Same with squats. You should be able to do vertical squats(what is called Hindu squats) 25 times atleast non-stop. For deadlifts you can replace them with pull-ups on a bar at home. Its all your bodyweight hence. As for specific exercises if you have access to gym here is my recommendation: 1) Chest: Build your routine around bench/dumb bell press. You can use flat/incline/decline bench to change the angle. Go for about 8-12 reps at a good form. Form is key. Chug your ego at the door and use the right form. 2) Legs: Build your leg routine around squats. This will not only get you big legs(and butt) but will also push up your testosterone level(if you are single then beware..else enjoy :hic: ). Dont use machines much for legs. Go for squats. 3) Back: Use pull-ups and rows. You can do chin-ups or pull-ups(in former you hold palm facing towards you, in latter you have them away from you). This shall give you the width of upper back. For thickness use dumbbell or barbell rows. 4) Shoulders: It is best to use dumbbells for this as they give you a better range. Go for vertical press(or military press), lateral raise or front raise. Good form is the key again as the most common injury in gym is almost always shoulder. So start with light weight and then go heavy. You can throw in biceps, triceps, calves, abs exercises but make the above 4 body parts your main goal. Here is a sample routine. Day 1: Chest(2 warm up sets followed by 6-8 sets of 8-12 reps of dfifferent chest exercises). Do 2 sets of abs. Day 2: Back(2 warm up set followed by 6-8 sets of 8-12 reps of back exercises). Do 2 sets of biceps Rest Day 3: Shoulders (2 warm up set followed by 6-8 sets of 8-12 reps of bshoulders exercises). Do 2 sets of triceps. Day 4: legs (2 warm up set followed by 6-8 sets of 8-12 reps of legs exercises). Do 2 sets of calves Okay I shall let you digest that for a while..... :hic:

I did use Whey protein; can't remember the brand though - there are so many out there. Buying a 4 pack of Muscle milk now for $12 or so is good enough
Pred, Whey protein would be cheaper than Muscle Milk and shall give you faster responding protein you need. A box of ON Whey shall be good for atleast 15 usage(about 50 gms protein per usage) and cost you less than 25 bucks so do you maths. But yeah the taste would not be half as good as Muscle Milk.
What is your top bench BTW ? I don't necessarily mean a max, but the heaviest weight you can do 5 reps with.
I dont bench. For one I always have to have a spotter lest it falls on my chest on heavy reps, also it somehow hurts my shoulders. I mostly do dumbbells for chest. Gives me wider range and I can drop them if they get too heavy. I have posted 100 pounds in each hands but I am most comfortable in 75-85 pounds for 6-8 reps for each hand. xxx

[1) Chest: Build your routine around bench/dumb bell press. You can use flat/incline/decline bench to change the angle. Go for about 8-12 reps at a good form. Form is key.
Allow to me disagree to a certain extent. If by good form you mean full range of motion than it's not always neccessary if you are simply looking for weight gain. Try lifting heavy on half-reps; you will still see results. On bench press especially; i have seen this work - i was paying too much attention to strict form when i benched over 150 and found i couldn't go higher (not quickly, anyway). I started doing 6/7 half reps of 165/70 and starting seeing a gain in strength. Now i am capable of doing 5 reps on 210

Re: The Health and Fitness Thread I do gym 4-5 times a week. Each time I do- 30minutes of upper body workout/weights 20 minutes of lower body workout/weights 45 minutes of cardio at decent intensity + during biking season (spring + summer) I bike 80km every other day on bike paths. _______________________________________ My whole regime is built around staying cut and at peak cardio fitness. I am not into large bulky muscles.

Allow to me disagree to a certain extent. If by good form you mean full range of motion than it's not always neccessary if you are simply looking for weight gain. Try lifting heavy on half-reps; you will still see results. On bench press especially; i have seen this work - i was paying too much attention to strict form when i benched over 150 and found i couldn't go higher (not quickly, anyway). I started doing 6/7 half reps of 165/70 and starting seeing a gain in strength. Now i am capable of doing 5 reps on 210
You are right Pred. Those are what are called partial reps. However partial reps should be used by Intermediate or Advanced users. If someone is starting, its better to be safe and build a platform for latter.

I do gym 4-5 times a week. Each time I do- 30minutes of upper body workout/weights 20 minutes of lower body workout/weights 45 minutes of cardio at decent intensity + during biking season (spring + summer) I bike 80km every other day on bike paths.
So basically you are telling us that you do not look like a Cow :hic: :hic: 80 km every other day? Man that is impressive..Thats like Churchgate to Virar(one end of Bombay to other) and then some :hail:

I do gym 4-5 times a week. Each time I do- 30minutes of upper body workout/weights 20 minutes of lower body workout/weights 45 minutes of cardio at decent intensity + during biking season (spring + summer) I bike 80km every other day on bike paths. _______________________________________ My whole regime is built around staying cut and at peak cardio fitness. I am not into large bulky muscles.
Post some pics yaar; so we can get our little ICF Gym Rats club going