The Health and Fitness Thread

The Outsider

Re: The Health and Fitness Thread

Allow to me disagree to a certain extent. If by good form you mean full range of motion than it's not always neccessary if you are simply looking for weight gain. Try lifting heavy on half-reps; you will still see results. On bench press especially; i have seen this work - i was paying too much attention to strict form when i benched over 150 and found i couldn't go higher (not quickly, anyway). I started doing 6/7 half reps of 165/70 and starting seeing a gain in strength. Now i am capable of doing 5 reps on 210
You are right Pred. Those are what are called partial reps. However partial reps should be used by Intermediate or Advanced users. If someone is starting, its better to be safe and build a platform for latter.
If we are talking in terms of difficulty or advancement, my recommendation to any noob would be to start off with manual exercises. Try to perfect 50 pushups, 15-20 pullups (or chinups), and 25 dips (all without rest !) before you even touch the weights. That way you will have initial strength to build on instead of starting light from scratch Gambo, take notes ! :lmao:

So basically you are telling us that you do not look like a Cow :hic: :hic: 80 km every other day? Man that is impressive..Thats like Churchgate to Virar(one end of Bombay to other) and then some :hail:
I did not pull chicks looking like a cow mate :wtg: The biking thing really shatters me though. When I get home I basically fall asleep. By every other day I meant 3 times in a week. What kind of fat % do you guys have? I am in my early 30s and it takes lot more effort to stay fit plus being married.... :lmao:

Try to perfect 50 pushups, 15-20 pullups (or chinups), and 25 dips (all without rest !) before you even touch the weights.
touche..... this is what i advise anyone who asks me.... except, i would suggest free squats and crunches(to give core stability)..... Predator's numbers are too much..... i would suggest 20 pushups, 5-10 pullups and 10 dips along with the squats and crunches.... if u get there, u r ready to hit the weights....

So basically you are telling us that you do not look like a Cow :hic: :hic: 80 km every other day? Man that is impressive..Thats like Churchgate to Virar(one end of Bombay to other) and then some :hail:
I did not pull chicks looking like a cow mate :wtg: The biking thing really shatters me though. When I get home I basically fall asleep. By every other day I meant 3 times in a week. What kind of fat % do you guys have? I am in my early 30s and it takes lot more effort to stay fit plus being married.... :lmao:
Surely it must take u a lot of effort to pull chicks whilst being married too, eh :lmao:

Re: The Health and Fitness Thread I take my internet privacy very seriously. Specially considering the kind of threads I am active in :lmao: So I don't think I would be posting my photo online :eew: Sorry mate :eew: In an ideal world I would love to post them online. I just look fit but not Bruce Lee or Arnie like :hic: Something like this (change the face, add some brown shoe polish, add bit of hair on my chest, reduce the muscle by 5-10% and that would be me :hic: - http://www.cinema24horas.com/wallpapers/atores/TomCruise.jpg

Re: The Health and Fitness Thread i didnt like muscle-milk much, cos it was high on calories and it used to cause bloating.... i guess, it depends on individual.... any brand, which offers a good mix of isolates, hydrolysed whey and whey is good enuf..... u do need all the 3 though..... nowadays, all brands do it... Creatine is good, if used seasonally...i personally, use it before every summer.. . but in the long run, i have a buddy who competes, developing a kidney stone.... though, it can be argued that creatine cannto be the cause..... he is a regular creatine user since several years..... anyways, thougt u guys should know....

Surely it must take u a lot of effort to pull chicks whilst being married too, eh :lmao:
Not any more yaar! I am happily married to a fit chick. I am retired from the meat game :hic: You can take Gai out of the game but you cannot take the game out of Gai :lmao:

Thanks Lurker. I don't want to gain weight intentionally though. I just want to start doing some weight for an overall body toning. How many sets and of what would you recommend I start with?
Gambit. Here is one of my personal theories about working out. See if you find a resonance here somewhere with your thoughts. I personally want to have a decent figure and good health but I do not want to be so dependent on the gym and supplements that tomorrow if I am in a place where I can't find them I just become a fat ba$tar*. Here is a thumb rule for that. There are three key exercises(broadly speaking). Bench press(chest), Squats(legs) and Deadlifts(back). Your goal should be to make sure you are able to lift your body weight in all the three. What it means for you is that you should be able to bench, squat and deadlift around 165 pounds. Why do I say body weight? Because tomorrow if you do not have access to a gym you should be able to do 25 pushups at a go. Pushups are basically bench press with your body weight. Same with squats. You should be able to do vertical squats(what is called Hindu squats) 25 times atleast non-stop. For deadlifts you can replace them with pull-ups on a bar at home. Its all your bodyweight hence. As for specific exercises if you have access to gym here is my recommendation: 1) Chest: Build your routine around bench/dumb bell press. You can use flat/incline/decline bench to change the angle. Go for about 8-12 reps at a good form. Form is key. Chug your ego at the door and use the right form. 2) Legs: Build your leg routine around squats. This will not only get you big legs(and butt) but will also push up your testosterone level(if you are single then beware..else enjoy :hic: ). Dont use machines much for legs. Go for squats. 3) Back: Use pull-ups and rows. You can do chin-ups or pull-ups(in former you hold palm facing towards you, in latter you have them away from you). This shall give you the width of upper back. For thickness use dumbbell or barbell rows. 4) Shoulders: It is best to use dumbbells for this as they give you a better range. Go for vertical press(or military press), lateral raise or front raise. Good form is the key again as the most common injury in gym is almost always shoulder. So start with light weight and then go heavy. You can throw in biceps, triceps, calves, abs exercises but make the above 4 body parts your main goal. Here is a sample routine. Day 1: Chest(2 warm up sets followed by 6-8 sets of 8-12 reps of dfifferent chest exercises). Do 2 sets of abs. Day 2: Back(2 warm up set followed by 6-8 sets of 8-12 reps of back exercises). Do 2 sets of biceps Rest Day 3: Shoulders (2 warm up set followed by 6-8 sets of 8-12 reps of bshoulders exercises). Do 2 sets of triceps. Day 4: legs (2 warm up set followed by 6-8 sets of 8-12 reps of legs exercises). Do 2 sets of calves Okay I shall let you digest that for a while..... :hic:
Thanks for taking the trouble Lurker! That's extremely informative. :hmph:

Re: The Health and Fitness Thread Actually, i think gym-work is massively overrated. If fitness is what one is after, some good amount of cardio (Running/swimming/jogging/playing tennis/badminton/soccer etc on regular basis) and some good amount of yoga/calisthenics and flexibility practice is good enough to make you fit as a horse. Just remember- most of these superfit martial artists did not even touch the weights before htting bigtime hollywood. Jackie Chan/Bruce lee/Jet Li, etc. were/are all completely gym-less physically fit freaks.

I take my internet privacy very seriously. Specially considering the kind of threads I am active in :lmao: So I don't think I would be posting my photo online :eew: Sorry mate :eew: In an ideal world I would love to post them online. I just look fit but not Bruce Lee or Arnie like :hic: Something like this (change the face, add some brown shoe polish, add bit of hair on my chest, reduce the muscle by 5-10% and that would be me :hic: - http://www.cinema24horas.com/wallpapers/atores/TomCruise.jpg
Just post one of your torso yaar, not your face.

Jackie Chan/Bruce lee/Jet Li, etc. were/are all completely gym-less physically fit freaks.
Pound for Pound, Bruce used to be the strongest man in the world and was known for his intensity in the workouts in the GYM.....

Pound for Pound, Bruce used to be the strongest man in the world and was known for his intensity in the workouts in the GYM.....
That is AFTER he became a hollywood celebrity and stopped being a martial artist. Same with jackie chan- they all broke in as skinny super-fit guys that were little powerhouses. No weights bullcrap. Then became big in hollywood/hong kong and had to show more abs in the show. Thats why they started working out. Workouts are more for show than anything else really. You do not need to be ripped or muscle-bound to be extremely fit. There are many extremely fit people who do not do workouts at the gym.

Re: The Health and Fitness Thread I used to run, but I hate it so I stopped. I swim very badly, but it was incredibly good exercise. Now I'm back to playing League Tennis- 3-4x week. Usually 2-3 intense sets a session. All fitness activities revolve around getting more match-fit. I jump rope with wrist weights, and I do stadiums/sprints. Somehow I have been wary of weights. I was doing the deadlift/squat/bench routine for a bit (not maxing out, usually 2x15 or 3x10): I started feeling stronger, but my range of motion was affected -- even with a pretty good stretching regimen. Maybe the gym-rats here can help --> how do I not lose flexibility while still building muscle? The only other thing that worked for me is Yoga -- I would do 90 minutes 2-3 weekly in college and it did wonders for my strength+flexibility. I was the fittest I ever have been. I need to get back to it.

how do I not lose flexibility while still building muscle?
Flexibility and muscle mass are always inversely proportional when you are talking about going beyond the normal musculature (ie, what you'd gain from free-hand exercises). Because muscle mass makes the muscles thicker and thus more massive and less flexible. If you want to counter this, you will have to increase your flexibility routine far more and keep increasing it as you gain muscle. I used to play tennis at juniors and i had the exact same experience as you when deadlifting weights in the gym. I became a lot more powerful but less mobile on the court.

Re: The Health and Fitness Thread I had two inspired weeks last year when I did weights every other day. then I stopped. I did used to run a lot though- and will start again when Im less busy...not muscular or toned by any means (a bit of flab on my stomach in fact) but im reasonably fit...

Re: The Health and Fitness Thread I want to Gain 15 pounds in the next 3-6 months,without goin to gym. I'm a strict Veggie & I smoke(3-4). My height is 6'2" and I don't have the habit of having a Breakfast :roll: . So, is Breakfast compulsory If I have to gain wait ? And also recommend some Weight Gaining products. :help: BTW, very informative and useful thread :wtg: