The Health and Fitness Thread

The Outsider

Re: The Health and Fitness Thread Quit smoking for starters. Dude you are way too *smart to be smoking. I am a veggie as well btw. A balanced veggie diet is superior to N.Veg diet in my humble opinion for your overall health. *smart- (Note to others) I am saying the "smart" bit just to make him feel better :lmao:

Re: The Health and Fitness Thread

I want to Gain 15 pounds in the next 3-6 months,without goin to gym. I'm a strict Veggie & I smoke(3-4). My height is 6'2" and I don't have the habit of having a Breakfast :roll: . So, is Breakfast compulsory If I have to gain wait ? And also recommend some Weight Gaining products. :help: BTW, very informative and useful thread :wtg:
well if you are skipping food like breakfast and then eating heavy lunch you will automatically gain weight

I do gym 4-5 times a week. Each time I do- 30minutes of upper body workout/weights 20 minutes of lower body workout/weights 45 minutes of cardio at decent intensity + during biking season (spring + summer) I bike 80km every other day on bike paths. _______________________________________ My whole regime is built around staying cut and at peak cardio fitness. I am not into large bulky muscles.
Ahh, I can see it now. GKD, the doodhwala, getting up at 3 am, mounting on his trusty Atlas cycle and cycling from house to house, village to village, delivering everyone freshly watered milk. :lmao: :lmao:

Re: The Health and Fitness Thread Here is a good tip for all those looking to gain weight. Your single biggest muscle group in your body is legs. If you have to put a number around it you can think it this way - almost 1/3rd, if not more, of your body muscles reside in your quads(front of legs), hamstring(back of legs), calves and glutes(butt). If you are underweight there is a good chance that you have thin leg muscles. So you need to attack your legs. A wonderful thing here is that when it comes to legs nature has been impartial to both men and women. This is one area where women can match men(if you take a martial arts class they will show you how women should attack men with their legs and not arms as they would be overpowered with lack of arm strength). By and large a women's arm/shoulder/waist is almost always less than a guy's but not with thighs. So a good tip to gaining weight is to beef up your leg muscles. If you have access to the gym try doing squats. Start with regular squats(back) and then move on to front squats. Leg presses and leg extensions are good too but dont depend too much on them. Hamstring curls are good. And Lunges are fantastic for bringing out the shape of the butt. A good workout for legs would be. 2 sets of warmup squats. 3 sets of squats with weights(works Quads) 3 sets of hamstring curls(Works hams) 3 sets of lunges(Works hams and butt). Do it like twice a week.. And yes breakfast is absolutely essential. It is the single most important meal. Dont skip it. And dont have it around 10 am. Have it around 8 am. A good breakfast would be toast with honey, glass of milk and some fruits. If you want to pump proteins(more for guys) go for 3-4 egg whites during this time. Okay too much info at one go but if you want to gain weight, hit your legs. Good luck :wtg:

Re: The Health and Fitness Thread Lurker, a quick question for ya...is milk essential in the diet for gaining weight? I am lactose intolerant and cannot handle most dairy products, especially milk. Would soy milk be a good subsitute in the morning?

Re: The Health and Fitness Thread If you want to gain weight - just buy yourself a jar of creatine and lift heavy. You will see results within a few months if you work out regularly and have a proper schedule

Now I'm back to playing League Tennis- 3-4x week. Usually 2-3 intense sets a session. All fitness activities revolve around getting more match-fit. I jump rope with wrist weights, and I do stadiums/sprints. Somehow I have been wary of weights. I was doing the deadlift/squat/bench routine for a bit (not maxing out, usually 2x15 or 3x10): I started feeling stronger, but my range of motion was affected -- even with a pretty good stretching regimen. Maybe the gym-rats here can help --> how do I not lose flexibility while still building muscle?
Lifting weights doesn't seem to hinder Rafael Nadal for some reason. Most tennis players have taken to lifting weights as it helps them hit a heavier ball throughout the course of a long 5 setter. If you don't want to lose flexibility, i wouldn't go near machine weights. Do manual workouts; chin-ups along with pushups for upper body strength and squats for the legs. Use free weights in these exercises for resistance - ie; hold a 20 lb dumbell with your feet when you do your chin-ups. Machine weights tend to isolate muscles, and in manual workouts you use your whole body.

Lurker' date=' a quick question for ya...is milk essential in the diet for gaining weight? I am lactose intolerant and cannot handle most dairy products, especially milk. Would soy milk be a good subsitute in the morning?[/quote'] Aditi. I am lactose intolerant too. However you can get milk without Lactose. Thats what I take. You will have written on top of the box "For Lactose Intolerant people". You should be able to find it in local Wal Mart or Grocery store. Here is the one I generally get ph_MkLa.jpg It comes it all kind - Normal, 2% fat, Zero fat and so on. They are generally kept in the same aisle as Milk, generally next to Soya Milk. By the way if you like Soya Milk thats a good substitute too. The advantage with Regular Milk(Lactose or non-Lactose) is that it is rich in CASEIN protein, the slow digesting protein. So if you have a glass of milk at breakfast it shall keep releasing energy for a while even if you miss a mid-meal situation. Its kinda funny really. Growing up we were all given milk before we went to bed. The logic was it makes for good sleep. Well you know what? Its true! Because milk keeps your body full and hence you dont get bad sleep, or wake up in night munching things from fridge. Who knew? xxxx

I want to Gain 15 pounds in the next 3-6 months,without goin to gym. I'm a strict Veggie & I smoke(3-4). My height is 6'2" and I don't have the habit of having a Breakfast :roll: . So, is Breakfast compulsory If I have to gain wait ? And also recommend some Weight Gaining products. :help: BTW, very informative and useful thread :wtg:
All you need is a calorific surplus.... In other words, for your height and your goal of gaining weight, you need to consume atleast 3000 calories a day..... Cytogainer supplement is the best for that.... It is something, we recommend for skinny folks.... I think, it has 600 calories per serving and close to 50 gms of protein..... Whether, you are trying to lose or gain weight...... BREAKFAST IS COMPULSORY..... period... If you do decide to hit the gym, choose the poundages, such that you can eke out only 3-4 reps.... and not more than that....

Re: The Health and Fitness Thread 5'9" -- and these lambus have never had the pleasure of dating girls taller than them :smokin: Predz, have never gone near weight machines. and i believe you about nadal etc. (I think agassi used to bench 350, and that's part of the reason he could get so much power with such a compact swing). Will try the weighted pullups-chinups etc. This thread inspired me to break out the yoga mat yesterday, btw.