What do you say when asked...

Gaurav

...where are you from? This question applies to desis who were born abroad or have lived 15-20+ years outside India and don't have India passport/citizenship? When on business trips and stuff I meet people and they always ask me where I am from. I always get stumped. Should I say that I am a Brit? OR should I say I am from India? Both answers are not 100% accurate are they? How do you deal with it? Normally I say I am British of Indian roots. What do you say?

Re: What do you say when asked... Usually the accent is a give away (we haven't Indian accent) so not many ask where we come from locally. When visiting elsewhere (outside down under and NZ) people can figure out we have roots in India by looking at us. When asked where I hail from I say "From India".

Re: What do you say when asked...

...where are you from?
India. Its instinctiive mate. I have never consciously answered that, every time it automatically comes out. Even when people ask "Where are you from?" and actually mean "Which state in USA are you from?"(when I go in some seminars outside my resident state) I suppose in a strange way it is not dependent on the person asking the question, or what his/her motives are, but how sure/unsure you are about where you belong? xxx

...where are you from? This question applies to desis who were born abroad or have lived 15-20+ years outside India and don't have India passport/citizenship? When on business trips and stuff I meet people and they always ask me where I am from. I always get stumped. Should I say that I am a Brit? OR should I say I am from India? Both answers are not 100% accurate are they? How do you deal with it? Normally I say I am British of Indian roots. What do you say?
I'd say, "none of your f'in business".

looking at ur physique predz in the other thread it would be quite a shame if you still picked and chose small sizes of people to fight with.
Dude, i know my limits. ie; there is no way i'd be able to knock over a big black 230 lb football player !! Suicide