Any Sitar Players here ?

varun

While browsing youtube, I stumbled across some videos of Ravi Shankar, and it's strange.. I'm hooked. Grew up listening to these in India, and absolutely hated this kinda music, but now I find it so relaxing. Must be getting old. Any of you guys into Indian classical, specifically the Sitar ? Any good albums that you can recommend ?

Re: Any Sitar Players here ? I have one ..but in school(sorry don't remember the name)...i play it during some classes...it has a calming effect..... although one boy always complains and says he feels like "going for su-su " whenever he hears it :hic: )

Re: Any Sitar Players here ?

I have one ..but in school(sorry don't remember the name)...i play it during some classes...it has a calming effect..... although one boy always complains and says he feels like "going for su-su " whenever he hears it :hic: )
A bit too calming perhaps for the boy's taste. I can sympathise :hic:

Re: Any Sitar Players here ? I play tabla. -- Ravi Shankar is incredible, of course. But my all-time fave is Nikhil Bannerjee -- try any of his Malhars (there was also a Mishra Kafi from Berkeley in the 80's, see if you can get a hold of it). His pace is perfect, and his alaaps (right at the start, when he is exploring each note of the raag are the best I have ever heard) Among contemporary sitarists, Kushal Das (also excellent alaaps) and Purbayan Chatterjee (speed) are pretty good. also, if you like sitar, you will like sarod -- ali akbar khan.

I play tabla. -- Ravi Shankar is incredible, of course. But my all-time fave is Nikhil Bannerjee -- try any of his Malhars (there was also a Mishra Kafi from Berkeley in the 80's, see if you can get a hold of it). His pace is perfect, and his alaaps (right at the start, when he is exploring each note of the raag are the best I have ever heard) Among contemporary sitarists, Kushal Das (also excellent alaaps) and Purbayan Chatterjee (speed) are pretty good. also, if you like sitar, you will like sarod -- ali akbar khan.
Budhaditya is also incredible technically and speed wise, though lacks 'feel'.

Re: Any Sitar Players here ? Indian classical music is very rich and I am not surprised that you are hooked on it Varun. I personally am not the biggest connoisuer or classical singing but I do love the instruments. Amongst those I like are shehnai, santoor, sarod, sitaar and baansuri(flute). if you like sitar for calming you should look up santoor of Shiv Prasad Sharma sometime. Here are some clips. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfn8nJE29dA

Excellent Stuff ! Keep it coming. Wonder if we cook hook up the sitar with some guitar-pickups and an amp. (jus kidding).
of course you can... how do u think our classical performers do studio recordings and even stage performances these days? you wont get any distortion etc tho... classical music is about pure notes...

Excellent Stuff ! Keep it coming. Wonder if we cook hook up the sitar with some guitar-pickups and an amp. (jus kidding).
of course you can... how do u think our classical performers do studio recordings and even stage performances these days? you wont get any distortion etc tho... classical music is about pure notes...
Ha, yeah just imagine some distortion, wa-wa, delay added into sitar. Dang, that could be a whole different genre !

Ha, yeah just imagine some distortion, wa-wa, delay added into sitar. Dang, that could be a whole different genre !
I'd leave that out. Why? Because Indian classical music has a form and structure that is not suited for such experimentations. And the better for it. I'm sure you'll understand the import of what I'm trying to say by and by, once you've listened to enough of the same.