To all those discounting Australia for the WC, a warning:

dr_tooley

On the current betting Australia are currently 4 the favorites: http://www.cricket-worldcup.net/ India 7/2 England 9/2 Sri Lanka 4 Australia 5 South Africa 5 Pakistan 8 New Zealand 16 West Indies 20 Bangladesh 33 Zimbabwe 200 Ireland 500 Holland 750 Kenya 1000 Canada 1000 Are Australia really 4th favorites? I know they recently lost a home series to SL, but lets not forget that they are: - Current reigning World Champions - Current reigning Champion's Trophy Winners - Current ODI ranked number One. I cannot believe that people are so easily disregarding this team. Their recent win against England at the MCG, chasing down a record 294 at that ground, has for me sent out a warning. These guys are the ultimate tournament side. Don't forget its just a year ago that they beat India 4-2 at home. To all those neigh sayers beware. Last time the Aussies lost a home Ashes series, there was a world on the sub-continent. They sent a under rated side and won at a canter. The aussies are the elephant in the room that you ignore at your peril.

Anyone writing the Aussies off would be a fool. In Watson, Haddin, Punter, Clarke, Hussey, White, Tatit, Lee, Bolly they have 9 class players and with this format and a long tournament, they will have plenty of time to adjust to the conditions and slowly find their feet in the tournament. The biggest struggle for them would be if they were to play in SL or BD for their QF matches. They somehow just dont like playing on those two places.

When the bookies say India 7/2, what exactly does it mean? That if I bet on India now, and if India win the WC, I get 7 Rs for every 2 Rs I bet? Or do I get 9 Rs?
You get 3.5 rupees per every 1 rupee you bet. India is always the favorite whenever the event is being held in India so nothing new or surprising in it.
When the bookies say India 7/2, what exactly does it mean? That if I bet on India now, and if India win the WC, I get 7 Rs for every 2 Rs I bet? Or do I get 9 Rs?
It is that you'll win 7 rs and you'll get your own 2 rs back as well. So total you'll get 9 rs for 2 rs you had put in.
Thats what I'm confused about. Rajiv and transparent say that you don't get the 2 Rs back.
I wasn't sure myself sometime back. But then you have to look at how odds like 1/2 will work. By my logic, if you win that bet, then you should get 1+0.5 = 1.5. And if you lose bet than you'll get nothing. So by winning bet you'll gain 0.5 and by losing you lose 1 rs and that looks logical to me. If logic is otherwise as Rajiv suggested, then even after winning, you'll be losing 0.5. So why would anybody go for a bet then?