Tennis: ATP/WTA Tour 2014

Raghav_12

Tennis: ATP/WTA Tour 2014  

1. 1.

• Rafael Nadal
    • Novak Djokovic
    • Andy Murray
    • None of the above

Tennis players have a shelf life of about 10 years ' date=' most players who are not Fed or Rafa, can only play at the top of the mens game for about maybe 5/6 years? That's the time to make money. Sure DelPo is rushing it, but you can see why.[/quote'] That is a very short sighted approach. Del Potro is 25 and he still has at least 4-5 years of tennis left in him if he stays fit. People are now playing till mid 30s, so it could be more too. He has already earned decent amount of money from winnings (more than 15 million) and sponsorship. If a break of 4-5 months helps him in the long run then he is just being stupid not to take it. He was out of the game for a long time in 2010, so he knows that he has the ability to get back to top 10 easily.

Horrible conditions, just too too slow, none of the players can hit clean winners. The conditions will probably favour the grinders and the fittest players the most. The big servers will struggle to break, even if they can get lots of bounce on their own serve. Indian Wells could be so massive, instead they produce this rubbish.

Horrible conditions, just too too slow, none of the players can hit clean winners. The conditions will probably favour the grinders and the fittest players the most. The big servers will struggle to break, even if they can get lots of bounce on their own serve. Indian Wells could be so massive, instead they produce this rubbish.
I find Indian Wells to be ok. It is a medium hard court on the slower side but by no means it is a poor surface. It has always been such. The worst hard court is Miami. Did you watch Gulbis yesterday? He was blasting winners on this court. 6qfEmqFyRXo

Poor play from Nadal.He is yet to defend a hard court title. Congrats to Dolgo but it was more of Nadal off the boil..
Since 2008 Nadal's career has been one good year followed by one average year. If the same trend continues then this year should be average. To be honest he didn't look all that good in Australia too except a couple of matches. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since 2008 Nadal's career has been one good year followed by one average year. If the same trend continues then this year should be average. To be honest he didn't look all that good in Australia too except a couple of matches. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes.. he is definitely not in best of the forms now. Doesn't look good for rest of the year. He would be losing his points rapidly now if he continue losing.

I went to bed after the Murray match, so didn't get to see the late night matches of course. Just found out about Nadal, well that's a surprise, especially given the final set was lost on a TB. I suppose Dolgopolv is not the worst guy to lose to, he's always been a great watch and threat, but never the consistency. I maintain what I said before, the most open masters event in years. I will watch the gulbis highlights later, also looking forward to Gulbis vs Dimitrov today, that will be one heck of a match. Someone came upw ith stats and over the last 5 years IW has been the slowest HC, slower than some clay tourbnaments, ridiculous.

saw the 1st 2 set of dolgo-rafa match early this morning,rafa looked so old,he was clearly not in form (which was apparent the way he played stepanek).dolgopolov meanwhile was smashing the ball around with all his force,it was pretty funny the way he hit some forehand winners and UE. b/w for some reasons i hate IW,miami and cincinnati are wonderful events though..would be interesting to see how fed copes with stan

saw the 1st 2 set of dolgo-rafa match early this morning' date='[b']rafa looked so old,he was clearly not in form (which was apparent the way he played stepanek).dolgopolov meanwhile was smashing the ball around with all his force,it was pretty funny the way he hit some forehand winners and UE. b/w for some reasons i hate IW,miami and cincinnati are wonderful events though..would be interesting to see how fed copes with stan
Based on what I saw in Rafa vs Stepanek match y'day, I will have to agree with this statement. Stepanek is easily 8 years older than Rafa but Rafa was the one who was giving look of being older of the duo. It really doesn't look great at the start of the year. I am not really surprised with him losing to Dolgo so early at IW.

Personally I like the Indian Wells surface. It is like one of those "sporting wickets" in cricket. It offers something to players of all style. If you are a powerful hitter like Gulbis or Wawrinka you can hit through and if you rely on playing percentage tennis you can play that too. It also takes spin better than most hard courts. Generally there is no dominance of one particular style of play. I don't like the Miami surface. It offers nothing to anybody. It is just utterly slow. It can be compared to SSC colombo. :P

Based on what I saw in Rafa vs Stepanek match y'day' date=' I will have to agree with this statement. Stepanek is easily 8 years older than Rafa but Rafa was the one who was giving look of being older of the duo. It really doesn't look great at the start of the year. I am not really surprised with him losing to Dolgo so early at IW.[/quote'] Rafa is definitely older than his real age. It's all about mileage. He has been playing at the top level for 10 years now. At his age (27) most players generally have 5-6 years of real grinding. He has 10 and add those various injuries.That doesn't mean he can't play his best tennis again. But he will have to change his style a bit which he showed last year that he is capable of doing. He can't rely on movements like the old days. He is 2 steps slower now. Last year he played near perfect hard court tennis till the US open. This year he is just not confident for some reason. Although he reached the final in Australia, it was pretty much the same story there too. He is again standing way far behind the baseline and trying to grind his way out instead of being proactive which he did brilliantly last year. This 10 days gap between Indian Wells and Miami might prove to be a blessing in disguise.

The Gulbis vs Dimitrov match was very entertaining, fortunately they both started to play well at the same time in the final set and there were some gruelling rallies. I thought fitness would be a factor, but both look quite fit, not in the Nadal Novak mode yet, but not far off. Some of the defense was Novak'esque from Dimitrov. The Cilic-Novak match could be quite good, Novak is playing well below par this year and Cilic well above par. But the 7-0 H2H suggests something different. I know Gulbis has an attitude issue and a rage problem, most of all the ugliest FH in the game, but for some reason, I'm becoming a big fan. He's got another very exciting match potentially vs Batutista Augut. Isner - Verdasco, could be a tasty match. Dolgo - Fognini, entertainment for sure, the rest of the matches you can predict who the winner will be.

The thread has gone quiet really, I wonder if it's because Nadal got knocked out. Gulbis vs Isner could be a cracking match, not the actual match and points, because any Isner match tends to be shyte. However can Gulbis take on and beat a big server or not, Gulbis is a pretty big server himself, I saw him racking up speeds of 136/137mph the other day.

The thread has gone quiet really, I wonder if it's because Nadal got knocked out.
Nothing to do with Nadal man. I try to watch good match ups regardless of who's playing. Of course I have a job so can't watch everything like you. :cantstop: Been very busy with life. Travelling again tomorrow.

Nothing to do with Nadal man. I try to watch good match ups regardless of who's playing. Of course I have a job so can't watch everything like you. :cantstop: Been very busy with life. Travelling again tomorrow.
:cantstop:

Federer is playing well up one set. Darren Cahill made an excellent point on ESPN about the playing conditions at IW. The dry desert air causes the balls to fly off more than usual. It acts as a counter effect to the slow courts creating a balanced playing condition. Miami on the other hand is exactly the opposite, super humid conditions there makes it even more slower.