Roland Garros 2014 - Rafa and Maria are the champs!

bones

The draw is out: [1] Nadal v Ginepri Mathieu v Thiem Qualifier v Mayer Gabashvili v [30] Pospisil [21] Almagro v Sock Johnson v Qualifier Lajovic v Delbonis Zopp v [16] Haas [11] Dimitrov v Karlovic Qualifier v Brands Michon v Klahn Robert v [19] Anderson [32] Seppi v Giraldo Monaco v Pouille Qualifier v Qualifier Sijsling v [5] Ferrer [3] Wawrinka v Garcia-Lopez Mannarino v Lu Young v Sela Qualifier v [26] Lopez [23] Monfils v Hanescu Olivetti v Struff Becker v Bellucci Qualifier v [14] Fognini [12] Gasquet v Tomic Hewitt v Berlocq Ebden v Cuevas Llodra v [24] Verdasco [28] Kohlschreiber v Riba Stakhovsky v Istomin Matosevic v Brown Golubev v [7] Murray [6] Berdych v Qualifier Devvarman v Nedovyesov Falla v Paire Qualifier v [27] Bautista-Agut [17] Robredo v Qualifier Montanes v De Schepper Mahut v Kukushkin Herbert v [10] Isner [15] Youzhny v Carreno Busta Stepanek v Arguello Qualifier v Benneteau Kubot v [18] Gulbis [31] Tursunov v Qualifier Volandri v Querrey Qualifier v Qualifier Lacko v [4] Federer [8] Raonic v Kyrgios Rosol v Vesely Russell v Gonzalez Qualifier v [29] Simon [20] Dolgopolov v Ramos Dodig v Granollers Haase v Davydenko Klizan v [9] Nishikori [13] Tsonga v Roger-Vasselin Goffin v Melzer Nieminen v Przysiezny Estrella Burgos v [22] Janowicz [25] Cilic v Andujar Qualifier v Kamke Chardy v Gimeno-Traver Sousa v [2] Djokovic

Nasty draw for Nadal, seems like he has had some horrid draws in recent months. Bad luck to him I guess, but he did get it quite easy for a while, so maybe lady luck is evening out for him. Novak has a much much easier section and I will extremely gutted if he doesn't get through to the final. My guess is it'll be the following QF based on recent form and instinct: Nadal vs Ferrer - (Pretty obvious) Wawrinka vs Verdasco - (Murray is a flop on clay) Batutista Augut vs Federer - (Fed has a piss easy draw and Bautista is fighter) Novak vs Nishikori - Both have the game but Nishkori is injury prone, so wouldn't be surprised if he was knocked out early.

Roland Garros 2014

RolandGarros2012a-big.jpg

Roland Garros 2014 starts on Sunday, May 25th. For the second year in a row, the 8 time champion Rafael Nadal enters the tournament as the joint favorite alongside Novak Djokovic. Would Nadal be able to win a record 9th Roland Garros title or would it be Novak Djokovic finally completing his career grand slam? Or we will see someone from the outside of these two surprising us like Stan Wawrinka did at this year's Australian Open. We will find out on Sunday, June 8th. Till then, sit tight and enjoy some exhilarating clay court tennis.

[1] Nadal v Ginepri Mathieu v Thiem Qualifier v Mayer Gabashvili v [30] Pospisil [21] Almagro v Sock Johnson v Qualifier Lajovic v Delbonis Zopp v [16] Haas [11] Dimitrov v Karlovic Qualifier v Brands Michon v Klahn Robert v [19] Anderson [32] Seppi v Giraldo Monaco v Pouille Qualifier v Qualifier Sijsling v [5] Ferrer [3] Wawrinka v Garcia-Lopez Mannarino v Lu Young v Sela Qualifier v [26] Lopez [23] Monfils v Hanescu Olivetti v Struff Becker v Bellucci Qualifier v [14] Fognini [12] Gasquet v Tomic Hewitt v Berlocq Ebden v Cuevas Llodra v [24] Verdasco [28] Kohlschreiber v Riba Stakhovsky v Istomin Matosevic v Brown Golubev v [7] Murray [6] Berdych v Qualifier Devvarman v Nedovyesov Falla v Paire Qualifier v [27] Bautista-Agut [17] Robredo v Qualifier Montanes v De Schepper Mahut v Kukushkin Herbert v [10] Isner [15] Youzhny v Carreno Busta Stepanek v Arguello Qualifier v Benneteau Kubot v [18] Gulbis [31] Tursunov v Qualifier Volandri v Querrey Qualifier v Qualifier Lacko v [4] Federer [8] Raonic v Kyrgios Rosol v Vesely Russell v Gonzalez Qualifier v [29] Simon [20] Dolgopolov v Ramos Dodig v Granollers Haase v Davydenko Klizan v [9] Nishikori [13] Tsonga v Roger-Vasselin Goffin v Melzer Nieminen v Przysiezny Estrella Burgos v [22] Janowicz [25] Cilic v Andujar Qualifier v Kamke Chardy v Gimeno-Traver Sousa v [2] Djokovic

Nasty draw for Nadal, seems like he has had some horrid draws in recent months. Bad luck to him I guess, but he did get it quite easy for a while, so maybe lady luck is evening out for him. Novak has a much much easier section and I will extremely gutted if he doesn't get through to the final. My guess is it'll be the following QF based on recent form and instinct: Nadal vs Ferrer - (Pretty obvious) Wawrinka vs Verdasco - (Murray is a flop on clay) Batutista Augut vs Federer - (Fed has a piss easy draw and Bautista is fighter) Novak vs Nishikori - Both have the game but Nishkori is injury prone, so wouldn't be surprised if he was knocked out early.
I don't agree that Nadal has a "nasty" draw. The same draw would have looked like a cakewalk just last year. This year it's his own form that's a concern for him. If he plays like he did this summer so far, pretty much every draw would be nasty for him. Otherwise none of those guys have the ability to beat Nadal on clay in a BO5 match if he plays anywhere close to his top level. I think the draw is pretty even for everyone.

On all betting sites Djokovic is favourite now with Nadal being close second. There doesn't seem to be any third favorite. It would have been first time in last 7-8 years that Nadal is not being considered favorite to win at Roland Garros. My own bet is one of Nishikori, Dimitrov and Raonic would be in Semifinals.

Many players have exposed a chink in Rafa's armour, yes he's not at the top of his game, but that often happens when your opponent outplays you. I don't like the thinking that Rafa is playing badly and his opponents are taking advantage. The truth is, you are playing badly because the opponents are not allowing you to play better. Yes he's getting older and a bit slower, but in terms of play, he's not dealing with the aggressive play from all these guys very well. PC court is apparently slower than the outside courts and Nadal is playing on an outside court, not the ideal start for him. Anyways, how did an 8 time champion and the defending champion end up on the outside courts? Crazy.

Many players have exposed a chink in Rafa's armour, yes he's not at the top of his game, but that often happens when your opponent outplays you. I don't like the thinking that Rafa is playing badly and his opponents are taking advantage. The truth is, you are playing badly because the opponents are not allowing you to play better. Yes he's getting older and a bit slower, but in terms of play, he's not dealing with the aggressive play from all these guys very well. PC court is apparently slower than the outside courts and Nadal is playing on an outside court, not the ideal start for him. Anyways, how did an 8 time champion and the defending champion end up on the outside courts? Crazy.
Are you serious? Are you trying to say that after 9 consecutive years of dominance on the surface, where he is 10-0 against Federer and Novak and a total 59-1 with just two 5 setters at Roland Garros players have suddenly found a chink in Nadal's armor? It's like saying Geroge Bastl or Stakhovsky exposed Sampras and Federer's grass game. It is natural that that after a decade of playing at the top his clay game has declined considerably. Anyone can see that. There was a time when Nadal hardly made any unforced error on clay. In any case you have admitted that you only started following tennis closely since 2011, so such ignorance is expected. About Nadal playing his first match outside PC, it is a little bizarre but all players play at least one match outside PC at RG. So it is actually better for Nadal that he would be done with it early on and then have the chance to get into a rhythm playing on the same court all the matches after that.

On all betting sites Djokovic is favourite now with Nadal being close second. There doesn't seem to be any third favorite. It would have been first time in last 7-8 years that Nadal is not being considered favorite to win at Roland Garros. My own bet is one of Nishikori, Dimitrov and Raonic would be in Semifinals.
Nishikori is out. But your semi final line prediction is bold. It means that at least one of Nadal or Djokovic won't be in the semi.

Stan is out. Looked nervous the whole time. Kind of unfortunate to get a very good and in form clay courter like GGL in the first round but he played inexplicably poor. I expect Thiem vs Nadal to be a tough contest, that guy is very talented.

Nishikori Crashed out
Dimitrov knocked out.
Hell, I make some predictions. Should do it more often :(( Edited: Just checked Raonic made it to second round.. phew.. Otherwise this could have been big panauti.

Hell, I make some predictions. Should do it more often :(( Edited: Just checked Raonic made it to second round.. phew.. Otherwise this could have been big panauti.
Actually Rionic has a decent chance to make it to the semi against Novak. He doesn't have to beat any of the top players and is in god form. So you might be right after all.