Modi sarkar economic reforms/governance performance thread

FischerTal

https://youtu.be/WJwaX2WtPZA I think a lot of the criticism of Modi Sarkar is coming from people who want quick results - that was never going to happen. This govt seems to be playing a long game and IMO that's wise. The problem seems to be more with BJP being unable to manage the perception because of foolish statements from its members or from RSS members. And for that Modi and Shah are to blame more than anyone else - they've got a commanding majority, Modi fought the election on the image of being a strong, decisive leader - its about time that they control the fools who are intent on taking India back to 18th century.

One thing where I think the Govt has gone wrong is too many announcements with too little detail about them. Many of the announcements seem to be direction less right now and maybe that's because of the haste with which they have been announced. They need to slow down on that and do their homework properly before announcing new schemes every week.

One thing where I think the Govt has gone wrong is too many announcements with too little detail about them. Many of the announcements seem to be direction less right now and maybe that's because of the haste with which they have been announced. They need to slow down on that and do their homework properly before announcing new schemes every week.
Agreed. There needs to be better communication. Btw, did you read about the dinner at Jaitley's residence?

"Till November the rupee was healthy. We need to check the statements of the RBI officials and certain ministers. I believe it is a conspiracy and the fall in the rupee is not because of simple economic reasons," Modi said
The Great Tweeter may be right . Though i wonder if he holds the same views , now that he is the Prime Minister. http://www.hindustantimes.com/mumbai/modi-sees-conspiracy-behind-weakening-rupee/article1-861340.aspx

Agreed. There needs to be better communication. Btw, did you read about the dinner at Jaitley's residence?
Modi won't achieve much and/or win next elections with Jaitley. Shourie's critique is simple: Modi does not need a Palaniappan Jaitley as FM http://www.firstpost.com/business/arun-shouries-critique-simple-modi-not-need-palaniappan-jaitley-fm-2223644.html

The dinner with the media? He keeps giving those - gave one on the 1st day of the year for a lot of journos.
Haan, par iss baar Modi bhi tha. Apparently, Navika kumar puked due to over drinking :headshake: Jaitley I don't care about, but why would Modi try to broker with these mofos? I don't know why he trusts Jaitley so much. Shourie is right, inn logon ka headlines management zyada chal raha hai. The very same people who won't hesitate in sticking a dagger in his back when the time comes.

Modi won't achieve much and/or win next elections with Jaitley. Shourie's critique is simple: Modi does not need a Palaniappan Jaitley as FM http://www.firstpost.com/business/arun-shouries-critique-simple-modi-not-need-palaniappan-jaitley-fm-2223644.html
That's why I was saying, Shourie might be bitter, but he raised valid points in the interview. Part of Modi's appeal was that he was deemed as someone not too cozy with the lutyens scumbags.

I hope Modi's not doing that. As I've mentioned earlier Modi's focussing too much on External affairs and Foreign Policy... Leaving the Home front in the hands of his trusted colleagues who can't be trusted. He needs to get Doval to monitor them atleast... Modi always wanted to travel... He left home at the young age to travel in India... It appears that he loves travelling...

Haan, par iss baar Modi bhi tha. Apparently, Navika kumar puked due to over drinking :headshake: Jaitley I don't care about, but why would Modi try to broker with these mofos? I don't know why he trusts Jaitley so much. Shourie is right, inn logon ka headlines management zyada chal raha hai. The very same people who won't hesitate in sticking a dagger in his back when the time comes.
The govt needs the media because it needs to showcase its achievements rather than foolish (though eyeball grabbing) statements by some idiots in BJP/RSS. Since coming to power Modi has done everything possible to ignore Indian media - that strategy has obviously not worked as media has also hit back by focusing on controversial statements rather than good work of the govt. So Modi has to improve his relations with the media if he wants media to give better coverage and there is no better person in the country to do that than Arun Jaitley. You can check the National newspapers for the past many years and you will hardly see any negative story about Jaitley - that's not because he has thrown money at them or he blackmails or intimidates him, rather he has excellent relations and gives them access and some inside news from time to time.
That's why I was saying' date=' Shourie might be bitter, but he raised valid points in the interview. Part of Modi's appeal was that he was deemed as someone not too cozy with the lutyens scumbags.[/quote'] Shourie's points were very valid and Govt would be absolutely foolish to ignore him (as they have tried to do till now). Arun Shourie is not a man to make light statements or unnecessarily criticize the govt without any reason. Even if he is bitter, which he certainly is and not without reason, they should still listen to his views carefully. BTW in that interview many people were criticizing Karan Thapar - I though he mostly did a very good job of summarizing what Shourie said on every topic. And as always, he was well prepared on all topics that he raised in the interview. There is a difference between getting cozy with the media and having a comfortable relationship with it - Barkha Dutt or Vir Sangjvi trying to manage ministerial posts in UPA was an example of media being cozy with the govt. Modi on the other hand has been antagonistic towards MSM since coming to power. It is foolish to antagonize the media on the one hand and expect positive coverage all the time. Modi doesn't need to be cozy with the media but he has to have a good relationship with it.

As for trusting Jaitley - he is about the only person among the top ministers who has been with Modi's side for a long time so Modi trusts him. Also, many people (even here on ICF) don't trust Jaitley because he has good relations with Cong leaders - they don't seem to realize that with the govt having such low numbers in RS, and having to bring controversial changes to Land Bill etc, it is good relationships and not brute majority in Lok Sabha, which can help more.

The govt needs the media because it needs to showcase its achievements rather than foolish (though eyeball grabbing) statements by some idiots in BJP/RSS. Since coming to power Modi has done everything possible to ignore Indian media - that strategy has obviously not worked as media has also hit back by focusing on controversial statements rather than good work of the govt. So Modi has to improve his relations with the media if he wants media to give better coverage and there is no better person in the country to do that than Arun Jaitley. You can check the National newspapers for the past many years and you will hardly see any negative story about Jaitley - that's not because he has thrown money at them or he blackmails or intimidates him, rather he has excellent relations and gives them access and some inside news from time to time. Shourie's points were very valid and Govt would be absolutely foolish to ignore him (as they have tried to do till now). Arun Shourie is not a man to make light statements or unnecessarily criticize the govt without any reason. Even if he is bitter, which he certainly is and not without reason, they should still listen to his views carefully. BTW in that interview many people were criticizing Karan Thapar - I though he mostly did a very good job of summarizing what Shourie said on every topic. And as always, he was well prepared on all topics that he raised in the interview. There is a difference between getting cozy with the media and having a comfortable relationship with it - Barkha Dutt or Vir Sangjvi trying to manage ministerial posts in UPA was an example of media being cozy with the govt. Modi on the other hand has been antagonistic towards MSM since coming to power. It is foolish to antagonize the media on the one hand and expect positive coverage all the time. Modi doesn't need to be cozy with the media but he has to have a good relationship with it.
As for trusting Jaitley - he is about the only person among the top ministers who has been with Modi's side for a long time so Modi trusts him. Also, many people (even here on ICF) don't trust Jaitley because he has good relations with Cong leaders - they don't seem to realize that with the govt having such low numbers in RS, and having to bring controversial changes to Land Bill etc, it is good relationships and not brute majority in Lok Sabha, which can help more.
I understand getting the media onside, but how can you trust them after everything they've done in the past? Politics is effin weird man. Regarding Jaitley, he is just being opportunistic in my opinion.

I understand getting the media onside, but how can you trust them after everything they've done in the past? Politics is effin weird man. Regarding Jaitley, he is just being opportunistic in my opinion.
I'm not saying that they should completely trust the media but there is no need to unnecessarily antagonize/ignore it. Jaitley has supported Modi for more than a decade - at that time Modi was a CM and that too not a really influential one in BJP. The likes of Rajnath Singh are opportunists - started singing Modi's praises when he thought that Modi would become PM candidate.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/delhi/Swachh-drives-away-stink-mess-from-New-Delhi-station/articleshow/47219034.cms?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=TOI 'Swachh' drives away stink & mess from New Delhi station :two_thumbs_up: These things give some hope that the 'Swacch Bharat Abhiyan' may make a difference, not a big one but at least a slight positive change.

Banks must follow rules for insurance policy: unions IANS*|*Chennai May 08, 2015 04:18 PM IST Unions in the banking sector have cautioned their members to follow procedures while enrolling members under the government insurance schemes to be launched on May 9, said union officials. Officials at some branches of nationalised banks told IANS that they were being pressured by the management to enrol account holders under the insurance schemes prior to its launch so as to show impressive numbers to the powers that be. "Our top management has directed lower level officials to enrol customers under the insurance scheme by any means. So employees are filling up the forms in the names of customers," an official of a nationalised bank told IANS preferring anonymity for himself and his bank. He said it is not known how the bank would proceed further on the issue. "Whether the bank would debit the customer account's Rs.12 (for personal accident policy) and reverse the same if he objects to the debit is not known," he said. The scheme clearly stipulates that express consent of the account holder is a must before enrolling him/her under the policy. "In most branches the walk-in customer will be around 100-150 a day. But there are branches that claim collection of enrolment forms of around 300 in a day. This in normal course of business is not possible," he said. "To satisfy myself, I had called around 150 customers to check out their views on their enrolment. While they agreed over phone and promised to come to the branch and sign the necessary papers the very next day, only one turned up as promised," he explained. Thomas Franco, general secretary of the SBI Officer's Association, told IANS: "We are aware of the issue. The insurance scheme is good but the proper procedure is not being followed. We have asked our members to see the forms are duly filled so that no problem arises at a later date." He said employees have been advised to get the Aadhar card details or any other proof with regards to the nominees. As per the insurance scheme framework, an account holder aged between 18-70 would be provided a personal accident insurance cover (death, total disability) for Rs.200,000. As a part of the enrolment form, an account holder also authorises the bank to debit his/her account each year by Rs.12 till contrary instruction is given. The problem for the bankers would be high when there is a claim while the proposal form was not signed by the bank account holder. "Going by the scheme of things, this may turn out to be a scam. There is no hurry in enrolling account holders. Banks can do this at their own pace rather than satisfying the egos of the powers that be," C.H. Venkatachalam, general secretary of the All India Bank Employees Association (AIEBA), told IANS. "In the name of people schemes, the banking industry has become an extension counter of the government. While talking of giving autonomy for banks, the government is pushing its programmes through the banks," he said. "The scheme is a good one. It will increase insurance penetration. But due to the pressure from the management, it may actually end up in a mess giving a bad name to the government," one banker warned.
http://wap.business-standard.com/article/news-ians/banks-must-follow-rules-for-insurance-policy-unions-115050800602_1.html ATM Govt is more interested in short term PR than long term good will .

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/economy/policy/industry-wrong-in-criticising-modi-government-for-its-woes-says-kv-kamath-chairman-icici-bank/articleshow/47195210.cms Some tough words by a top class banker to the industry. He does suggest lowering of rates by as much as 2% to boost growth & govt playing a key role in building infra.
KV Kamath Appointed BRICS Bank Chairman...quid pro quo???