Indian Super League - ADK is the first champion!

Vilander

Lena wants to inspire in India LenaFallkvistFCPuneCity_3194442.jpgLena Fallkvist: Wants to inspire women in India Lena Fallkvist hopes her appointment as fitness and conditioning coach for Indian Super League side FC Pune City can inspire women throughout the sub-continent. The 51-year-old is the only female recruited as a member of the backroom staff for any of the eight teams competing in the inaugural league which commences on October 12. And the Swede says she cannot wait to begin her new assignment, insisting she is motivated by the prospect of becoming a role model for millions of women in India. “I’m very excited and I'm so ready to go now,†Fallkvist told Sky Sports. “It will be quite an experience for me to play a part in the starting of this new league. “As someone who loves football it's nice to know I will be going there and doing something good and something I love. I'm really hoping to do something good for Indian soccer. “I'm proud to be the one they asked to come over and I haven’t taken on this role for the money, I’m doing it from the heart. Hopefully I can inspire other women to play soccer and to train. “I’m doing this for the cause and I'm going to do my best to be a role model for other women to come after me. That’s what really motivates me.†Fallkvist, who has previously worked with former Inter Milan athletic trainer Stefano Rapetti, will link up with former Juventus striker David Trezeguet, who is Pune’s designated marquee player in the ISL. “It’s a dream of course and a of course a big, big honour to be working with David Trezeguet,†she said. “I’ve worked with world title winners in other sports but I’ve never worked with a soccer player as famous as that. “I think I will be working very closely with David because he doesn’t speak English but he speaks Italian and so do I. “I guess I will have to translate a little bit, but I’m also looking forward to talking to him about the wonderful goal he scored to win Euro 2000 with France. I think everyone in India will be thrilled to see him.†Fallkvist’s move to Pune was facilitated by Kshatriya Sports CEO Prashant Agarwal who also brokered Trezeguet’s deal to the ISL. He said: “All I have to say about Lena's move is nothing in this world is complete without a woman. To really develop this beautiful game of football in India, we need to encourage women. Lena's move to ISL is first step towards this beautiful dream.â€

ISL - Lena ready to step into male bastion Lena Fallqvist will be arriving in India one month before the ISL. CHENNAI: A woman fitness coach in a men's football team isn't a common occurrence.But at 51, Lena Fallqvist from Sweden wants to bring about a change in perception; she has joined the Indian Super League (ISL) team FC Pune City as its fitness coach. "I'm proud to be able to do this. I am not doing it for the money , I am doing this to be a role model to other women in the country ," Fallqvist told TOI on Monday . "It's not only football but I have also worked with men in other sports like badminton, rugby etc in Sweden and Norway. So, this role is nothing new to me. But my ultimate goal is to make the team fit enough to win some matches," she said. Fallqvist, who was brought to India by Prashant Agarwal of Kshatriya Sports, has previously worked with Norway's national team. She was working with many Swedish top division clubs like Stenungsund IF and Surte BK before inking the deal with Pune. She will be arriving in India a month before ISL kicks off. "Well, I am still not a super trainer. I need some time to make the players fit enough for the league and help them fight injuries. At the same time, I will focus on the rehabilitation of those fighting injuries," she said. The Indian chapter, she says, will be a new challenge. "I was in India during a connecting flight 35 years ago when I was going to Australia for training. Now, I have been trying to read a bit and prepare myself for a new culture and experience. It's going to be exciting. As for the weather, coming from Sweden, I can say I love the warm weather. It won't be difficult for me," she said. Understandably, Fallqvist's most important assign ment would be to prepare the foreign players for India's warm weather. "My role is to make the players strong physically . The heat will be difficult for all of us but I think there's a difference in each person on how he adapts to the weather. I will focus on that," she said. "As the team's nutritionist, I feel food and drink is also important for the players to fight dehydration. " For Gaurav Modwel, Pune FC CEO, who has been promoting women's football, Fallqvist was an immediate signing. "I have seen a woman working as the physiotherapist for under-13 and under-15 boys. But I have never seen any woman being part of the senior men's team. We believe women empowerment is the need of the hour and we thought of setting an example," he said. "Over the course of the league, we will come up with various other programmes and initiatives to promote women's sports, "he added. Lena at a glance She has been associated with the Norway men's football team as physiotherapist Has worked with many Swedish Athletes who have represented in Olympics Has worked with top Swedish football clubs like Stenungsund IF, Surte BK Was a national level canoeist, and a long distance runner.

Colomba: ISL is like shorter version of Champions League 438194_heroa.jpgThe FC Pune coach is excited about the upcoming tournament and can't wait to start working on the new project in hand... The former Bologna manager, Franco Colomba believes the Indian Super League (ISL) will kick-start a new chapter in his career. "I'm happy and looking forward to begin this amazing challenge. I know India thanks to books and TV but I'm curious now," he said. "Fiorentina contacted me and offered the job. I thought it would have been a good opportunity on both professional and human side and I accepted with no hesitation. Just a one-year deal in the beginning, because when you start up such a new project you have to verify many things on site," the FC Pune City boss added. Colomba also announced his coaching staff that will be travelling from Italy. "There will be some Italians along with me. Giovanni Mei will be my deputy. He already trained abroad in Iran, then the fitness trainer Juri Bartoli and the goalkeeper coach Piero Spinosa. And some players of course: Bruno Cirillo, Emanuel Belardi, Magliocchetti and my son Davide. They're all professionals, with significant Serie A stints in their CV." The former Reggina manager found ISL to be very different from the tournaments he has come across in his career so far. "The ISL will begin in October, that means I'll assemble the team in just one month. The league has very fast schedule, it will be over for Christmas. It's like a double-speed Champions League, it will be my Champions League. The average level in India at the moment is not really high but there's the potential to do a good job. Let's see what happens," he said in an interview with Corriere Dello Sport. The Italian has identified David Trezeguet as his go-to man in the side and says his experience will come in handy for the development of the team. "Trezeguet will be our leader, I hope he'll be followed by our young players. They need to learn from him how to be a professional," he concluded.

I have come here to win the tournament’ – FC Pune City midfielder Lenny Rodrigues 292745_heroa.jpgThe India international believes that the new league conceptualise by IMG-Reliance will capture the imagination of the nation... EXCLUSIVE By Ayush Srivastava Lenny Rodrigues is one of the star attractions in the Indian contingent of the FC Pune City line-up. An I-League and Federation Cup winner with Churchill Brothers and an integral part of the national team’ midfield, the Goan has left the comfort zone of his home state for the first time ever in his career, to represent the Pune franchisee in the Indian Super League (ISL). The midfielder though, is excited getting this opportunity, and is focused on the task at hand. He stated, “It is very exciting for me to play for FC Pune City and it’s a new destination for me. I have come here to win the tournament. The player has visited Pune often the past, while playing in the I-League, and revealed how he hold the football fanbase of the city in the highest regard. He told Goal, “The atmosphere (in the stadium) Pune is always very good. When I played away games here, the people really supported their team.” Speaking about the ISL venture, which has grabbed several headlines; Lenny was optimistic about the project being a positive one for Indian football and mentioned, “I think it’s a good start for Indian football. They (The ISL clubs) will also be working on grassroots and good foreign players are coming in. It will be a good experience to play with them.” While unsure if the ISL will go on to be expanded and eventually take over the I-League, the Indian International was confident that the new league, with the right packaging, would help attract the crowds to Indian stadiums. He commented, “It depends on them (the authorities). I think the ISL should be continued and more and more people will be attracted to football. “For me, the ISL will be good because good foreigners are also coming and people want to see how top Europeans (players) play football,” he added. Further discussing the packed calendar that awaits Indian player with a busy ISL scheduling follow by a Federation Cup and I-League appearance, the midfielder conceded that fatigue could prove to be a factor for many players. However, he felt players would have to find their way round such a problem. He said, “Of course it will be tiring tournament with back to back matches and players need rest but anyhow we have to adjust to the situation. It is upto the players." On a personal level, Lenny cannot wait to share the same pitch as World Cup winner David Trezeguet and stated, “I look forward to playing with David Trezeguet. He is a World Cupper and I never saw him face to face. Now I will meet him.”

FC Pune City are close to signing Di Donato DanieleDIDONATO_2008.jpg FC Pune City keep shopping in Italy. The Indian club, controlled by Fiorentina owners Della Valle, contacted the former Cittadella Daniele Di Donato. The 37-year-old midfielder is now a free agent. The parties are very close, the player has already agreed to the transfer, attracted by the opportunity of playing in such a different environment and football. He hasn’t signed yet, even though the white smoke could arrive in the next hours. Di Donato could leave Italy and move to India.

Trezeguet's Del Piero hope Trezpic_2432835.jpgDavid Trezeguet: Eyes Alessandro Del Piero reunion World Cup winner David Trezeguet has welcomed the impending arrival of former Juventus team-mate Alessandro Del Piero in the Indian Super League. Juventus legend Del Piero is understood to have undergone a medical at the weekend and looks set to pen a deal to join the Delhi Dynamos franchise in the inaugural eight-team league. An announcement confirming Del Piero’s participation in the ISL is expected soon, although Hungarian side Honved had made a late move to lure the 39-year-old to Europe. Former Monaco and River Plate striker Trezeguet, who is the designated marquee player for FC Pune City, admits he is looking forward to the prospect of Del Piero joining him in India. “In relation to Alessandro Del Piero - it would be an excellent opportunity to share our old memories of playing together,” Trezeguet told Sky Sports. “If his arrival is certain, then it will be a great feeling to play together again.” Trezeguet himself is excited to play a key role in what he thinks is an exciting chapter in Indian football history. “FC Pune City is a club with good people working for it and I am glad to be chosen to start the history of a club which has the potential to be very big,” he said. “The expectations are high but I have a desire to learn. This is a new step for me and it will be a very enriching experience.” The league kicks off on October 12 and will feature former Arsenal duo Robert Pires and Freddie Ljunberg as well as ex-Liverpool Champions League winners Luis Garcia and Josemi. Former England goalkeeper David James is player-manager of the Sachin Tendulkar co-owned Kerala Blasters franchise, and his first job was to sign up Michael Chopra in last week’s International Players Draft. Former Newcastle and Cardiff striker Chopra has an Indian father and admits moving to India to play in the inaugural league is a special moment for his whole family. "It’s a matter of huge personal pride and playing in India would be one of my biggest achievements to date," Chopra told Sky Sports. "My grandparents are from Jalandhar in the Punjab and came to England in the 1950s. The connection to India is strong and my father is understandably very proud of this. "I am passionate about utilising my football experience to achieve success both for Indian football and myself."

Where will this league rank in terms of popularity?
The league haven't even have their 1st year so impossible to rank its popularity. But IMO...considering the business houses, top names in sports/Bollywood & quite a lot of money involved...will be a success. India haven't seen LIVE top class soccer. AIFF had such poor facilities and even poorer organization that soccer is killed before it start. But this is a new....fresh start. As expected the foreign players are not the cream....but its a good start. Hoping the popularity of ISL goes IPL way :pray:

The league haven't even have their 1st year so impossible to rank its popularity. But IMO...considering the business houses, top names in sports/Bollywood & quite a lot of money involved...will be a success. India haven't seen LIVE top class soccer. AIFF had such poor facilities and even poorer organization that soccer is killed before it start. But this is a new....fresh start. As expected the foreign players are not the cream....but its a good start. Hoping the popularity of ISL goes IPL way :pray:
I think this League will be successful not as much as IPL but it will be for sure :two_thumbs_up: Hope they gets more famous foreigners no matter if not big names but at least known once :dance: At least next season if not this one :agree:

Official: Del Piero joins Delhi Dynamos 449950_heroa.jpgThe former Juventus forward will continue his career in India after two seasons with Sydney FC in the A-League... Alessandro Del Piero has confirmed on his official Facebook page that he has signed a four-month deal with Indian Super League (ISL) side Delhi Dynamos.

I’m pleased to announce that today I am a @DelhiDynamos player and ambassador of the @IndSuperLeague #Adp10 #HeroISL — Alessandro Del Piero (@delpieroale) August 28, 2014

The former Italy international has also been confirmed as the brand ambassador of the two-and-a-half-month long tournament. Goal had earlier exclusively reported Del Piero's move to Delhi Dynamos, which was to be official announced on Thursday in India - the same day the ISL was formally launched. "The contract was to be signed over the weekend. However, a few issues needed to be ironed out. He (Del Piero) was lured not just by the Delhi deal but also the fact that he was to be the face of the new league in India," a source close to the development informed Goal on Thursday. Del Piero also discussed the rocky relationship between India and Italy, with two Italian marines still awaiting trial in the Asian country after allegedly killing two fishermen off the coast of Kerala in 2012. "I know that my choice to go and play in India has raised some doubts about the relationship between Italy and India, related to the story of the two marines held there," the former Juventus and Sydney FC striker said. "Said that, I don't think about being the only Italian, who has relations with India for professional reasons, I know that what I do has an impact on broader media: I would gratefully accept the responsibilities that my role entails." The 2006 World Cup winner also stressed that sport should be used to united rather than divide. "In this case I am aware and satisfied with my choice, I'm not going to a country "hostile" and the last thing I would want is an exploitation of my role, and especially that sport becomes a means used to divide rather than to unite," he said. "Being an Italian, as all my fellow countrymen, I am not insensitive to the story of our marines and I hope you come soon to a positive conclusion for them, and that is the most just." The all-time Juventus top scorer added that he wanted to bring a positive message to India through the sport of football. "I'm a football player, I will go to India to play football, to honor my sport and doing what's right now are happy to do: bring a positive message combined with values of sport and to the spread of football in countries far from the traditional routes. Like India with its "Indian Super League"." As per contractual obligations the former Italy international is expected to make at least four-to-five promotional appearances for the league organisers. Del Piero scored 208 goals in 513 appearances for Juventus before spending the past two seasons in the A-League with Sydney FC, where he hit the back of the net 24 times in 48 matches. The 39-year-old has joined the likes of Luis Garcia, David James and former Juventus team-mate David Trezeguet as marquee player for the inaugural ISL season.

Chennai Titans in talks with Ronaldinho Ronaldinho_2082869g.jpgCHENNAI-BOUND? An ISL stint will allow Ronaldinho to play for an MLS side early next year, which is the player's desire. Player keen on short-term contract, which is likely to work in franchise’s favour Indian Super League franchise team Chennai Titans is in talks with two-time FIFA World Player of the Year, Ronaldinho. The Hindu has learnt that the Brazilian legend has been approached by the Chennai team, according to a highly-placed source. The player’s brother, Roberto de Assis, who is also his agent, is negotiating the terms of the contract. If progress is made, he will arrive in India with Ronaldinho to finalise the deal, the source said. Titans — which was represented by cine star Abhishek Bachchan at the ISL’s emblem launch function in Mumbai on Thursday — is looking to sign Ronaldinho for a period of two years. The Brazilian superstar is keen on a short-term contract, which is likely to work in Titans’ favour. An ISL stint will allow him to play for a Major League Soccer side in the USA early next year, which is his desire. In the previous decade, the dazzling attacker was one of the most recognised faces in world football, with his sublime dribbling and clinical finishing in front of goal. His carefree attitude on and off the field, which came from his unbridled love for the sport, added to his charm. The 34-year-old achieved success in both his international and club careers. He scored 33 goals in 97 matches for Brazil, apart from winning multiple titles in his stints with Barcelona, AC Milan and Paris St. Germain.

TEAM REPRESENTATIVES EXUDE OPTIMISM AT HERO ISL LAUNCH isl-launchnews323.jpg Eight high profile representatives of the owners of the clubs that will compete in the Hero Indian Super League (ISL) came together on the stage for the first time to celebrate the launch of the ISL. Later, they all shared their brief thoughts on their expectations and plans for youth development. Here are a few excerpts: Varun Dhawan (FC Goa): I don’t know anyone who can say anything against Goa. Deep down we are all Goan at heart. Goa has a deep connection with football and we have on board two of the most successful clubs in Dempo and Salgaocar who between them have won seven major titles in the last few years. And to connect with youth we also have Videocon who will bring the technology into the equation. We will have shacks on the beach and kiosks to promote the team all over Goa and maybe all over India as well. We will play an exciting and entertaining brand of football that will reflect the spirit of the place. Sameer Manchanda (Delhi Dynamos FC): We’ll make Delhi the football capital of India for sure. Our main emphasis will be grassroots development which will be reflected in our Junior Dynamos programme which will reach out to 100 schools in the NCR region. We want to take football to the streets and have kids playing gully football just as they do gully cricket, using two stumps as goalposts. Utsav Parekh (Atletico de Kolkata): Football is a way of life in Kolkata. We have a very ambitious plan for football development and we have employed a coach for three years; as soon as the ISL is over we will get into our grassroots programme. We have made it clear to ‘Dada’ (Sourav Ganguly) that from now on it will be only football, no cricket. And Dada has given his pledge that it will be so. John Abraham (NorthEast United FC): I used to play football when I was young but I had to make a choice between education and sports and I chose education. I am now realising my dream through NorthEast United FC. I’ve been a part of the football scenario for a long time now and I’m also a co-owner of Shillong Lajong. I’ve spoken to the club owners and each one of them shares the passion for football and for making the ISL a success. Abhishek Bachchan (Team Chennai): As far as knowledge is concerned, we have a very able set up and I’ll leave the technical part of the game to them. But I do have the zeal and it is all driven by passion. It is very important when you are setting up a new venture. As far as most people are concerned, we are all looking forward to working hard and getting down and dirty and making this endeavour a success. Kapil Wadhavan (FC Pune City): Pune represents passion, youth, exuberance. The demographic profile of Pune is very different from the other cities in India and we have a population that is young. In this (domestic) draft we didn’t have a single player from Pune which was unfortunate. Hopefully, the grassroots initiatives that we will launch will redress that deficiency. As for the ‘Salman (Khan) Kick’, the kick will come when we win the league! Ranbir Kapoor (Team Mumbai): As a fan I’ve been yearning for quality football in our country and with the ISL we now have that. Reliance is a pioneer in building India and with the IMG-Reliance we just want to build something that will last forever. I’m really overwhelmed at being here and I wish all the team owners all the best and all the luck and hope to see you at the game. Sachin Tendulkar (Kerala Blasters): Be it cricket or football, I will always support sport in India. I have a provision for sport in India and in my word I call it ‘Sport for All’. I want people to take up sports, not in order to become professional sportspersons but to be healthy and fit. It will be my happiest moment when India is recognised as a healthy and vibrant nation. The talent is there in India. It is important for everyone to make the most of this platform.