Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners

4 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Umesh   2 for 70

Kaul        0 for 62

This despite Kuldeep putting a lot of pressure on England  by his exceptional wicket-taking  effort.  

How much would they have gone for if Kuldeep were not playing   !

They would have been taken to cleaners if not for Kuldeep.

Umesh is instead behaving like a debutant,timid approach to the bowling crease,no intention or confidence to have field settings to his liking,just rolling hia arma for the sake of bowling and not to stray to the pads,he seems very much scared,he knows if he strives for pace he can be straight at pads

Edited by Suhaan
9 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

they bowled half their overs before Kuldeep made any impact. So, Kuldeep's bowling did not affect their stats as much.

It is in the death overs that Pacers are taken to cleaners with wickets in hand, this was reduced a lot bcos Eng did not have much wickets in hand. Firstly, going for 70 runs itself is bad when a fellow bowler went for 25.

38 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

It is in the death overs that Pacers are taken to cleaners with wickets in hand, this was reduced a lot bcos Eng did not have much wickets in hand. Firstly, going for 70 runs itself is bad when a fellow bowler went for 25.

its because fellow bowler was not a pacer and pitch helped him. All pacers have been thrashed till now. 

12 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

So pitch magically helped only Kuldeep but not Chahar, Rashid or Moeen?

Kuldeep is a different variety altogether. Playing a Chinaman bowler on a turning track is not same as playing two traditional leggies and an off spinner and then Indians are better against spin anyway. Rashid did get turn.

I think it was on purpose. Outside wdges were flying to the boundary and even ahalf hearted forward defence nearly went to the fence. So they simply tried to bowl short if a good length without providing pace to these English batsmen.I think all our Pacers executed that fairly well. Just compare their pitch maps to the English Pacers. Just no value for bowling quick or full here. Just ask Richardson and Stanlake. 

5 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

I think it was on purpose. Outside wdges were flying to the boundary and even ahalf hearted forward defence nearly went to the fence. So they simply tried to bowl short if a good length without providing pace to these English batsmen.I think all our Pacers executed that fairly well. Just compare their pitch maps to the English Pacers. Just no value for bowling quick or full here. Just ask Richardson and Stanlake. 

Exactly.You have to bowl according to condtions.No value in bowling 'phast' on small pattas like this.Mark Wood bowled 90 mph and went to the boundary in twice the velocity. These same batsmen smoked Mitchell Starc twice in Australia and we never had a fast bowler as good as him in our entire history! The second spell of our fast bowlers were pretty good.They dried up runs too which compelled them to take risks against Kuldeep himself.

1 hour ago, MechEng said:

I had posted this in the McGrath thread a few days back. Great article.

"If I could have bowled 100 miles per hour I would have bowled at 100 miles per hour, there's no doubt about that," McGrath told cricket.com.au.

"But when I spoke to the best batsmen in the world – Lara, Tendulkar, the Aussie boys – they said it's always harder to face someone bowling mid-130s that really gets that bounce to someone bowling high 140s that skids the ball on."

"I didn't intentionally slow down to get control, it was just the way things turned out.

"I was trying to bowl as quick as I could.

Important to note that McGrath always bowled as quick as he could. Also its important to note the bounce aspect of a medium pacer before bringing up McGrath in a debate on Fast bowlers vs Medium pacers. Not every trundler will be successful just because he bowls 130k with control. 

28 minutes ago, Mosher said:

I had posted this in the McGrath thread a few days back. Great article.

"If I could have bowled 100 miles per hour I would have bowled at 100 miles per hour, there's no doubt about that," McGrath told cricket.com.au.

"But when I spoke to the best batsmen in the world – Lara, Tendulkar, the Aussie boys – they said it's always harder to face someone bowling mid-130s that really gets that bounce to someone bowling high 140s that skids the ball on."

"I didn't intentionally slow down to get control, it was just the way things turned out.

"I was trying to bowl as quick as I could.

Important to note that McGrath always bowled as quick as he could. Also its important to note the bounce aspect of a medium pacer before bringing up McGrath in a debate on Fast bowlers vs Medium pacers. Not every trundler will be successful just because he bowls 130k with control. 

130K itself does not mean control.  you can lack contriol even you bowl 130K, but most of them dont bowl 130K by choice but by design. if they could bowl quicker they would bowl quicker.

6 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

130K itself does not mean control.  you can lack contriol even you bowl 130K, but most of them dont bowl 130K by choice but by design. if they could bowl quicker they would bowl quicker.

My point is even if some trundlers bowl 130k with control they will not turn into a McGrath because more often than not they lack the bounce to trouble the batsman.  

10 minutes ago, Mosher said:

My point is even if some trundlers bowl 130k with control they will not turn into a McGrath because more often than not they lack the bounce to trouble the batsman.  

Exactly. And lets not forget that there has been only one Mcgrath in the history of cricket. Pollock tried walking on the same path, but he ended up being just a toothless trundler towards the fag end of his career. 

Mcgrath perfected his art for years. People do not realize that Mcgrath was an almost average bowler when he had started off. And then he worked on his line and length and bounce and his minimal movement. Something that he could do on any pitch. It took years for him to perfect it. 

And let's not forget that to back Mcgrath up, there was a red hot Gillespie bowling at genuine pace more often than not, and later Brett Lee. And I am not even mentioning Shane warne. So, the pressure was never off of any batsman. 

It takes a lot to make things work and it worked for the Aussie team through their collective work.

34 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

Exactly. And lets not forget that there has been only one Mcgrath in the history of cricket. Pollock tried walking on the same path, but he ended up being just a toothless trundler towards the fag end of his career. 

Mcgrath perfected his art for years. People do not realize that Mcgrath was an almost average bowler when he had started off. And then he worked on his line and length and bounce and his minimal movement. Something that he could do on any pitch. It took years for him to perfect it. 

And let's not forget that to back Mcgrath up, there was a red hot Gillespie bowling at genuine pace more often than not, and later Brett Lee. And I am not even mentioning Shane warne. So, the pressure was never off of any batsman. 

It takes a lot to make things work and it worked for the Aussie team through their collective work.

That was perhaps the most poisonous attack atleast since the time I have started watching cricket.. Mcgrath was truly once in a generation bowler but I would like to differ here a bit,Mcgrath was not a trundler he just during the tail end of his career I saw him operating between 128-133k ,but generally in 2000s he used to bowl at 138-140k..but the kick he used to get was just anything a bowler can dream of,his principle of hitting top of offstump made him such a deadly prospect.That is true brother ,I never saw him getting tamed,never ever 

Edited by Suhaan
9 hours ago, Mosher said:

It's all about the mindset of a fast bowler - the positive wicket taking mindset, irrespective of what the speed gun reads. Maybe when Philander bowls in test matches he has the same mindset of that of Dale Steyn but due to his limitations he always bowls in 120s.

Edited by MechEng
47 minutes ago, MechEng said:

It's all about the mindset of a fast bowler - the positive wicket taking mindset, irrespective of what the speed gun reads. Maybe when Philander bowls in test matches he has the same mindset of that of Dale Steyn but due to his limitations he always bowls in 120s.

But Philander is another exception like McGrath with regards to accuracy, which is as big a skill as bowling fast and as difficult to posses.