Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners

16 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

Mcgrath clocked 92mph in 99 WC? That's news to me. Although, like he mentioned, he was quicker in 95 in WI and even in 97 series in WI, he bowled pretty quick.

Apparently it was in the final of the world cup against Pakistan. Not many people seemed to have picked up on that though. His opening  spell was pretty quick and he was hitting the deck hard and wajahat had barely any time to react to a couple of those deliveries.

2 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Apparently it was in the final of the world cup against Pakistan. Not many people seemed to have picked up on that though. His opening  spell was pretty quick and he was hitting the deck hard and wajahat had barely any time to react to a couple of those deliveries.

Its wc everyone goes flat out. 

I read in an interview with Waqar Younis where he said that he got his speed from running/sprinting and then bowling as much as possible in the nets. He never went to a gym. Even when you watch videos of the Malcolm Marshall, you can see that he did not have a gym body but he was fit and got his pace from running into the bowling crease.

I don't know why fast bowlers do so much gym now, Chris Tremlett could not sustain his performance because he was too bulky to be a fast bowler. I also read that Mitchell Johnson hardly did any running in his playing days and spent most of his time in the gym.

13 minutes ago, MechEng said:

I read in an interview with Waqar Younis where he said that he got his speed from running/sprinting and then bowling as much as possible in the nets. He never went to a gym. Even when you watch videos of the Malcolm Marshall, you can see that he did not have a gym body but he was fit and got his pace from running into the bowling crease.

I don't know why fast bowlers do so much gym now, Chris Tremlett could not sustain his performance because he was too bulky to be a fast bowler. I also read that Mitchell Johnson hardly did any running in his playing days and spent most of his time in the gym.

Even Umesh Yadav and Nehra used to run /sprint a lot when they were young. 

11 minutes ago, MechEng said:

And Mitchell Johnson was a bowler who could sustain his pace whole day. Tremlett was bulky because he was tall and big all 6 feet 8. he was not a gym freak.  Gym is important to build strength so that they can sustain pace for longer periods.  Likes of Zak and Nehra were quick too in their younger days but could not sustain pace but look at the likes of Yadav, Aaron, Bumrah they bowl consistently quick.  It is the gym work that comes in handy here.  Gym also helps in growing your fast twitch muscles by doing specific-fast twitch targeted exercises.  BK gained 5-10 KPH pace. how did it happen? it is all due to working in the gym on those muscles.   Deepkar Chahar gained almost 20 KPH of pace. how did happen? Same reason, the gym. 

Gym does not mean getting bulky. A fast bowler needs to develop strong elastic lean muscles and not become big like a body builder.  There are different methods for both.  You want to become big and gain big muscles, you do muscle gaining exercises and if you want to become strong and gain muscles and stay elastic without become too big, you do strength training exercises for that.

Have you seen Usian Bolt? here is an image. You see those muscles.  he is not big or bully but he has muscles. Those are made in gym.  These are strong lean elastic muscles.  He is not bulky but he is strong and that is why he can run so fast.  You need strength to generate pace even when running, strength in your legs, in your chest muscles to pull ahead.  This is what fast bowlers also need to aspire to be while working out in the gym.

03usain-bolt1.jpg

6 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

And Mitchell Johnson was a bowler who could sustain his pace whole day. Tremlett was bulky because he was tall and big all 6 feet 8. he was not a gym freak.  Gym is important to build strength so that they can sustain pace for longer periods.  Likes of Zak and Nehra were quick too in their younger days but could not sustain pace but look at the likes of Yadav, Aaron, Bumrah they bowl consistently quick.  It is the gym work that comes in handy here.  Gym also helps in growing your fast twitch muscles by doing specific-fast twitch targeted exercises.  BK gained 5-10 KPH pace. how did it happen? it is all due to working in the gym on those muscles.   Deepkar Chahar gained almost 20 KPH of pace. how did happen? Same reason, the gym. 

Gym does not mean getting bulky. A fast bowler needs to develop strong elastic lean muscles and not become big like a body builder.  There are different methods for both.  You want to become big and gain big muscles, you do muscle gaining exercises and if you want to become strong and gain muscles and stay elastic without become too big, you do strength training exercises for that.

Have you seen Usian Bolt? here is an image. You see those muscles.  he is not big or bully but he has muscles. Those are made in gym.  These are strong lean elastic muscles.  He is not bulky but he is strong and that is why he can run so fast.  You need strength to generate pace even when running, strength in your legs, in your chest muscles to pull ahead.  This is what fast bowlers also need to aspire to be while working out in the gym.

03usain-bolt1.jpg

Mostly modern pace bowlers go to the gym.  Andy Roberts and Dennis Lillee were the biggest critics of gym culture, they said they got their pace from running and bowling long spells in nets.

Or maybe Roberts and Lillee were not as fast as we thought them to be.

Edited by MechEng
9 minutes ago, MechEng said:

Mostly modern pace bowlers go to the gym.  Andy Roberts and Dennis Lillee were the biggest critics of gym culture, they said they got their pace from running and bowling long spells in nets.

Or maybe Roberts and Lillee were not as fast as we thought them to be.

you did not go to he gym does not mean you cant bowl fast. Pace depends on your fast twitch fibers. Some have them naturally and some can increase them by working in the gym with specific targeted workout.  Roberts and Lillee were for sure fast though Lillee lost pace after his back stress fracture.  But it is ignorant to say gym is bad.  yes, fast bowlers should do running as well, but running is just one part these days.  The other part is strength as well as endurance training. 

Strength training helps you become stronger without becoming too big muscle wise. it helps you keep your muscles lean but become stronger.  It is very much like Olympian weight lifters.  What they do is power training, try to keep their body weight low, but gain strength and power to be able to lift heavy weights.

Dont confuse strength training with building muscles. Yes, you build muscles in strength training as well but you dont get as much a muscle hypertrophy as bodybuilders do because their target is gaining big muscles to take part in competitions, so, their workouts are also different.  In weight lifting, it all comes down to weight and rep ratio.  There are basically three types of workout routines; Strength, hypertrophy, and endurance.  It depends on your requirements what routine you chose.  Some people mix thee routines.  There is one more routine that is called power training, it is pretty much a part of strength routine, but it is mostly done by high level weight lifters, wrestlers  and hammer throwers, etc.       

16 minutes ago, Mosher said:

Training needs to a combination of sprinting and gym. As fast bowlers also need to strengthen their core, legs, back and shoulders which are also very important for a fast bowler. 

yes, oldies who do not know about how gym methodology for fast bowlers work comment about gym is bad. They only think gym means becoming big and bulky which is not the case.  Mitchell Johnson was not bulky and he was a gym freak.

In every sport, athletes have become fast and stronger but only in cricket, people think fast bowlers have become slower. One of the reason fast bowlers not getting quicker also is that hanging on to old methods and not adopting new methods that athletes from other sports have done. 

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

03usain-bolt1.jpg

I agree completely.

Push UPS and PULL UPS( The Best) are best for shoulders and biceps, when i used to bowl Pace , I truly experienced 

Push ups to help me Big time.

for fast bowling one requires a good run and a smooth finish and strength in shoulders...

if u see shammi running fast , u can be sure he will generate Pace.

Most lazy running was of MUNAF Patel and he dropped in pace from 144K to 124 K like crazy. Biggest disappointment and heartbreak as a fan for me as I liked him against england and the way he went down was CRAZY, he had the line n length of MC grath and had he been 140+ , he would have been playing today too.

In the '70s and '80s and earlier, a handful of genetically gifted pacers, from a few countries, could bowl quick for their eras. You either had pace or you did not.

Nowadays, we see every country producing quick bowlers ...  lots of pacers adding significant amount of bowling speeds and converting themselves from fast-medium to fast  or  medium pace to fast-medium ...  bowling speeds of the average bowler has gone up.

This has become possible due to modern scientific training and nutrition. Developing core strength and endurance while maintaining flexibility.

Edited by express bowling
5 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Siraj has made good progress, bowling better lengths and line, and he was bowling some unplayabale ones, good run-up and action he generates surprising pace, Reminds me a bit of M Sami, worth investing in for me , Nagarkotti, Kulwant, Aniket, Mavi have much more potential then Sharduk will ever have ,Rajpoot should be in test squad replacing Ishant for me.