Bahubali : India's Biggest Motion Picture

Kalia_Test

^^^^ My above post is just to request people who can afford the tickets to do so ( NRIs) as the film is worth it IMO. People in India anyway know their way. If ventures like Bahubali dont make money, then no point cribbing about quality of Indian cinema - every business venture is made with a view on profit. As viewers, we need to show willingness to pay up for quality.
Quality is not always directional proportional to money spent :winky:

Finally, I got a chance to check Baahubali out, albeit online, and below is my (somewhat long) review. Before I start my review, let me tell you that I love period films. I have admired some of the Bollywood’s best including Mughal-e-Azam (all time classic and one of India’s top 10 films), DharamVeer, Kranti and Jodha Akbar. I have also watched many old and new films from Hollywood including Ben-Hur, Cleopatra, Gladiator, Troy, etc., along with period films from Korea and China. I also watch soap operas such as Spartacus. When it comes to South Indian films, I have enjoyed its music (even though I don’t understand the language) and liked films such as Sivaji the boss and many others. When Baahubali was portrayed as something that is about to set new standards at least in the Indian film industry, I doubted such claims. In the end the curiosity got the better of me and I checked the film out. When reviewing the film, I am judging it from all angles including the claims made - something that will set or sets new benchmarks. Before you proceed, please be advised that the following reviews contains SPOILERS.

The opening sequence had me laughing – a woman walked underwater for I don’t know how long holding a baby with her hand above her head and baby over water. After the baby is rescued, she just disappears in water. With this sequence, I quickly readjusted my expectations. Below is what happens in the first half of the film: The lead actor is trying to climb the falls, a feat that not many (or no one) have achieved before – this reminded me of the Dark Knight Rises sequence where the Batman is trying to get out of the “hole”. He is also wandering in the forest like “Krisshh”. Also the lead actor looks like Manoj Bajpai with long hair and long moustache – this is good or bad depending up on how charismatic you find Bajpai. In a romantic fight scene, the lead actor undresses the actress to show her the feminine side – glimpses of Mark of Zorro’s Bandaras and Zeta-Jones’ sword fight. The villain get involved with bull fighting. He kills the bull of the size of a small elephant with his bare hands. There is a mother as well waiting for her son to return – a la Karan Arjun and in many of Ghai’s films. The sequence where Ramya punishes the traitors is, if I recall correctly, taken from a Chinese film. The landscape keep changing from thick forest to snow, making the snow look out of place. Despite all the theatrics, it is hard to see the villains as truly bad, the lead actor as truly strong, etc. If you see many of the films directed by people such as Subhash Ghai, Manoj Kumar, etc. you would instantly get the depth of the characters, which is lacking in this film. By the time, the war scenes started, I had lost interest in the film. Mainly because it had failed to live up to the expectations that it had built up. The story also has shades of Lingaa to it where the "young" Ranjikant ends up in a place where his grandfather (again Rajnikant) is highly respected. The film features an item number as well! So is everything average about this film? The answer is no. The art direction, sets, etc. (the technical side) are above average. Ramya Krishnan is good. Some of the sequences are good. But this should not be the reason to pay a premium to watch this film. Does the film set any respectable benchmarks? Well for Indian film industry as whole - No. May be for Telugu films. Since I love period films, I hope the films does well. If you want to watch the film, it should be watched as another regular masala movie rather than one that is setting new benchmarks. If you go to the cinemas expecting the latter, you will be disappointed. If you go expecting it to be another masala time pass movie, you will have a better chance of enjoying it!

jeez rett, i hope your review doesn't put a dent on the movie's collections :) considering your comments right from the trailers, Iam not surprised with your review. only surprised that you kept coming back to the thread despite hating the very idea of this movie so much? btw which state are your from? just asking, you can ignore if you like

jeez rett, i hope your review doesn't put a dent on the movie's collections :) considering your comments right from the trailers, Iam not surprised with your review. only surprised that you kept coming back to the thread despite hating the very idea of this movie so much? btw which state are your from? just asking, you can ignore if you like.
Which state are you from? In which language did you watch the movie?

jeez rett, i hope your review doesn't put a dent on the movie's collections :) considering your comments right from the trailers, Iam not surprised with your review. only surprised that you kept coming back to the thread despite hating the very idea of this movie so much? btw which state are your from? you can ignore if you like
I gave my opinion on the film. And I watch all kinds of films/TV series including French, Italian, Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Swedish, South American, etc., and all kind of genres. Why would you want to link my review to which state I belong to? If I say a European film is not as per what it claims to be, would it mean that I said that because I am from North America? .... When I said that Happy New Year, The Hritik Roshan film based on Knight and Day (i don't even recall its name), etc. are not that good, you did not ask me about my state? .... Btw, I am from Ontario. Originally, I am from Gujarat Btw, I am starting to wonder if many of those promoting the film are paid to do so to create hype :hmmmm:

I gave my opinion on the film. And I watch all kinds of films/TV series including French, Italian, Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Swedish, South American, etc., and all kind of genres. Why would you want to link my review to which state I belong to? If I say a European film is not as per what it claims to be, would it mean that I said that because I am from North America? .... When I said that Happy New Year, The Hritik Roshan film based on Knight and Day (i don't even recall its name), etc. are not that good, you did not ask me about my state? .... Btw, I am from Ontario. Originally, I am from Gujarat Btw, I am starting to wonder if many of those promoting the film are paid to do so to create hype :hmmmm:
1) we should interact on french, italian, japanese, korean movies. do you have any interest on japanese samurai movies? katsu, mifune, raizo...? Iam a huge fan of the sword and sandal genre and been looking forward to this movie since a long time. 2) hey bud I am from Telangana. maybe the timing was wrong, but I just wanted to interact 3) massive money is being poured into promotions. 4) nothing wrong in you not liking the movie after watching it on a pirated cam rip on your laptop(?). nothing wrong in you not liking the movie if you watch it in the theatre either.

I guess you watched the best version as the other ones are dubbed' date=' maybe some people will not like the dubbed movie as much as you like the Telugu version, another point to consider i guess.[/quote'] also he watched a cam-print which is obviously very underwhelming a lot of my friends watched the hindi version, their review ranged from good fun, can watch once to terrific.

Finally, I got a chance to check Baahubali out, albeit online, and below is my (somewhat long) review. Before I start my review, let me tell you that I love period films. I have admired some of the Bollywood’s best including Mughal-e-Azam (all time classic and one of India’s top 10 films), DharamVeer, Kranti and Jodha Akbar. I have also watched many old and new films from Hollywood including Ben-Hur, Cleopatra, Gladiator, Troy, etc., along with period films from Korea and China. I also watch soap operas such as Spartacus. When it comes to South Indian films, I have enjoyed its music (even though I don’t understand the language) and liked films such as Sivaji the boss and many others. When Baahubali was portrayed as something that is about to set new standards at least in the Indian film industry, I doubted such claims. In the end the curiosity got the better of me and I checked the film out. When reviewing the film, I am judging it from all angles including the claims made - something that will set or sets new benchmarks. Before you proceed, please be advised that the following reviews contains SPOILERS.
The opening sequence had me laughing – a woman walked underwater for I don’t know how long holding a baby with her hand above her head and baby over water. After the baby is rescued, she just disappears in water. With this sequence, I quickly readjusted my expectations. Below is what happens in the first half of the film: The lead actor is trying to climb the falls, a feat that not many (or no one) have achieved before – this reminded me of the Dark Knight Rises sequence where the Batman is trying to get out of the “holeâ€. He is also wandering in the forest like “Krisshhâ€. Also the lead actor looks like Manoj Bajpai with long hair and long moustache – this is good or bad depending up on how charismatic you find Bajpai. In a romantic fight scene, the lead actor undresses the actress to show her the feminine side – glimpses of Mark of Zorro’s Bandaras and Zeta-Jones’ sword fight. The villain get involved with bull fighting. He kills the bull of the size of a small elephant with his bare hands. There is a mother as well waiting for her son to return – a la Karan Arjun and in many of Ghai’s films. The sequence where Ramya punishes the traitors is, if I recall correctly, taken from a Chinese film. The landscape keep changing from thick forest to snow, making the snow look out of place. Despite all the theatrics, it is hard to see the villains as truly bad, the lead actor as truly strong, etc. If you see many of the films directed by people such as Subhash Ghai, Manoj Kumar, etc. you would instantly get the depth of the characters, which is lacking in this film. By the time, the war scenes started, I had lost interest in the film. Mainly because it had failed to live up to the expectations that it had built up. The story also has shades of Lingaa to it where the "young" Ranjikant ends up in a place where his grandfather (again Rajnikant) is highly respected. The film features an item number as well! So is everything average about this film? The answer is no. The art direction, sets, etc. (the technical side) are above average. Ramya Krishnan is good. Some of the sequences are good. But this should not be the reason to pay a premium to watch this film. Does the film set any respectable benchmarks? Well for Indian film industry as whole - No. May be for Telugu films. Since I love period films, I hope the films does well. If you want to watch the film, it should be watched as another regular masala movie rather than one that is setting new benchmarks. If you go to the cinemas expecting the latter, you will be disappointed. If you go expecting it to be another masala time pass movie, you will have a better chance of enjoying it!
u don't understand the language + are you saying Hindi movies are not hero worshiping and illogical too..all Indian movies are like that, retarded to enable reach to the mostly retarded audience. Quit being a Grinch.

1) we should interact on french, italian, japanese, korean movies. do you have any interest on japanese samurai movies? katsu, mifune, raizo...? Iam a huge fan of the sword and sandal genre and been looking forward to this movie since a long time. 2) hey bud I am from Telangana. maybe the timing was wrong, but I just wanted to interact 3) massive money is being poured into promotions. 4) nothing wrong in you not liking the movie after watching it on a pirated cam rip on your laptop(?). nothing wrong in you not liking the movie if you watch it in the theatre either.
Sure, feel free to discuss the films that you like. As for Japanese, I mainly watch Kurosawa's films Haha, I spend 1000s of dollars on movie tickets, blue-rays, netflix, etc. combined, so don't worry if I watch a regional film online. No point in getting all worked up at a Telgu film and then watching other language films on the laptop :P And you should be more worried about your Telangana brothers and sisters who paid $25 or more for this film for the previews. They may be feeling ripped off :dontknow: .... If you have to watch this film, I would not advise spending more than $10. If there was an option, could have donated the money for a better cause such as Link :nice:

u don't understand the language + are you saying Hindi movies are not hero worshiping and illogical too..all Indian movies are like that' date=' retarded to enable reach to the mostly retarded audience. Quit being a Grinch.[/quote'] I watched Hindi version (btw, I am used to watching films of other lang as well) .... And I said that watch it as a regular masala time pass movie. Not as something that is trying to set some kind of a benchmark :winky: If people are making tall claims about benchmarks, the film may not even compare favorably with Jodha Akbar :dontknow:

u don't understand the language + are you saying Hindi movies are not hero worshiping and illogical too..all Indian movies are like that' date=' retarded to enable reach to the mostly retarded audience. Quit being a Grinch.[/quote'] My South Indian warrior, Bahubali is released in Hindi too, i don't know why some people are being so defensive over this movie and trying to shut out all critics and trying to create an echo chamber here. When someone is criticizing this movie then it should be taken on face value and not considered a slight on South Indian cinema or Telugu or Tamil cinema.

Sure' date=' feel free to discuss the films that you like.[b'] As for Japanese, I mainly watch Kurosawa's films :haha: Haha, I spend 1000s of dollars on movie tickets, blue-rays, netflix, etc. combined, so don't worry if I watch a regional film online. No point in getting all worked up at a Telgu film and then watching other language films on the laptop :P And you should be more worried about your Telangana brothers and sisters who paid $25 or more for this film for the previews. They may be feeling ripped off :dontknow: .... If you have to watch this film, I would not advise spending more than $10. If there was an option, could have donated the money for a better cause such as Link :nice:
- more like you have seen only kurosawa movies? that doesn't count you as a japanese-film fan ( or rather i took you more seriously). :p everyone watched Seven Samurai, yojimbo and hidden fortress. - you have missed the point completely. its not about deciding "which language" movie to watch in the theatre or the laptop. its about "which movie". I would rather watch the pirated version of Bajrangi Bhaijaan on a laptop and when an Indian movies rises to the ocassion like Baahubali, I will watch it in the biggest 4K screen with Dolby Atmos sound system. no doubt about that. Endhiran - 2 will be my next big movie in the theatre probably. - my Indian brothers and sisters are very happy. - $10 is nothing. you should do more.

- more like you have seen only kurosawa movies? that doesn't count you as a japanese-film watches. :p everyone watched Seven Samurai, yojimbo and hidden fortress. nothing great about it. - you have missed the point completely. its not about deciding "which language" movie to watch in the theatre or the laptop. its about "which movie". I would rather watch the pirated version of Bajrangi Bhaijaan on a laptop and when an Indian movies rises to the occassion like Baahubali, I will watch it in the biggest 4K screen with Dolby Atmos sound system. no doubt about that. Endhiran - 2 will be my next big movie in the theatre probably. - my Indian brothers and sisters are very happy. - $10 is nothing. you should do more.
You are entitled to have your definition of what constitutes as Japanese watches. As I said, I watch films from many parts of the world as my goal is to watch the best in cinema which means that I have to venture outside of English and Hindi as well (or it would be like jumping on to anything that is thrown at me by Hollywood and Bollywood) For me, Baahubali is just another regular masala movie (my review says that) so why are you trying to shove the idea of Baahubali being some kind of a special film down my throat :cantstop: .... Well, I could probably be watch Baajranji Bhaijaan in the cinemas as I like the subject. But if the film is not good, I will not try to shove it down your throat as a classic :winky: I hope that they are! :P

why are you trying to shove the idea of Baahubali being some kind of a special film down my throat
post #108 already said you are entitled to your opinion dont need to shove it in your throat. only said that iam surprised you are participating in this thread's discussion when you never liked the premise of the movie right from the trailers stage.. start a masala hindi movie thread, see if i care.. :)

post #108 already said you are entitled to your opinion dont need to shove it in your throat. only said that iam surprised you are participating in this thread's discussion when you never liked the premise of the movie right from the trailers stage.. start a masala hindi movie thread, see if i care.. :)
lol, you are making to many assumptions including that people think like you do (and even see Baabubali as some kind of a masterpiece) .... Not surprised that you are surprised. In fact, you might continue getting surprised :P

lol' date=' you are making to many assumptions including that people think like you do ([b']and even see Baabubali as some kind of a masterpiece) .... Not surprised that you are surprised. In fact, you might continue getting surprised :P
since you edited after posting post #94 best case scenario: overwhelming worst case scenario: ok first half, 2nd half good fun.