Rishabh Pant vs Ishan Kishan

Muloghonto

We've heard a lot about Rishabh and how he deserves to be fast tracked to the Indian team (which i do not agree with at all). However, nobody has mentioned anything about Ishan Kishan, despite the fact that:

a) he too is a wicketkeeper

b) he is younger than Rishabh

c) he is in his 3rd year of First class cricket (debut Dec 2014) and has stats like this:
17 matches, 30 innings, 3 not outs, 1354 runs @ 50.14, HS 273, 4 centuries, 5 fifties, 26 catches, 7 stumping.

So what gives ?!

:confused:

We've heard a lot about Rishabh and how he deserves to be fast tracked to the Indian team (which i do not agree with at all). However, nobody has mentioned anything about Ishan Kishan, despite the fact that:

c) he is in his 3rd year of First class cricket (debut Dec 2014) and has stats like this:
17 matches, 30 innings, 3 not outs, 1354 runs @ 50.14, HS 273, 4 centuries, 5 fifties, 26 catches, 7 stumping.

So what gives ?!

10 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

So what gives ?!

Rishabh Pant averages 77.76 with a unheard of S/r of 106.19 and 2 of the 100's he scored are 2 of the fastest FC 100's in Indian domestics+ a triple in his debut year which was scored at run a ball as well.

And I know it is not a big deal to purists but the guy also stood out in IPL in his debut season taking on some international and international caliber bowlers to the cleaners.

Ishan has 26 catches in 17 games...Rishabh 26 catches in 9 FC games

Edited by maniac

By the way not showing Rishabh's stats to put down Ishan who I think is a contender in his own right but Rishabh's batting stats are out of the world and his catching stats are better too...right now Ishan's keeping has to be leagues and by that I mean leagues better than Rishabh for him to move up the pecking order.

isn't how many catches you have as a wicketkeeper dependent on how good your bowlers are and what line they are bowling ? Like, do you seriously believe that Gilchrist was a better wicketkeeper than Nayan Mongia because of his catches/match ? Do you think you will get as many catches keeping to a stump attacking bowler like Akram or if you are keeping to 'mr 4th stump' channel bowler like McGrath ?

catching stats are meaningless to keeping...

also, i think Kishan's batting is more proven than Rishabh's, notwithstanding the aggregate numbers- simply due to the fact that he averages 50+ after 3 seasons while Pant is in his first season. We've seen plenty of 1 season wonders like Rayudu, that Delhi opener kid, Punjab opener kid few years ago. Plenty of people who do amazing in their debut season and disappear...

Saw both of them in under 19 wc and Ishan looked clueless compared to Rishabh Pant who was basically our best player then. Ishan actually did not do anything even after all his first class experience. However, he has recently picked up his game according to the stats. 

I would like to see Ishan again before making anything out about him. Rishab, I saw him playing for Delhi in list A games which were telecasted last year when he opened with Shikhar and he looked pretty good. This was before u19 world cup. 

2 hours ago, express bowling said:

Pant was the wicket keeper in the  U19 World Cup, ahead of  Kishan....seems like he is considered as the better keeper among the two.

That could be because Pant is a liability in the outfield and Kishan is very clearly a better athlete and fielder. But what I have seen of both of them, I rate Pant way above Kishan as a batsman, though I am not convinced about his keeping skills or fitness.

12 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

also, i think Kishan's batting is more proven than Rishabh's, notwithstanding the aggregate numbers- simply due to the fact that he averages 50+ after 3 seasons while Pant is in his first season. We've seen plenty of 1 season wonders like Rayudu, that Delhi opener kid, Punjab opener kid few years ago. Plenty of people who do amazing in their debut season and disappear...

Actually, if you excludd this season's stats, Kishan was very underwhelming in his first two FC years. He was also made his debut at the age of 15. This is his breakthrough season and has played a huge hand in Jharkhand's surge this year.

Edited by rkt.india
10 hours ago, express bowling said:

Pant was the wicket keeper in the  U19 World Cup, ahead of  Kishan....seems like he is considered as the better keeper among the two.

No, that is not the reason. Kishan is more athletic and better outfielder. He was also captain.

10 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Actually, if you excludd this season's stats, Kishan was very underwhelming in his first two FC years. He was also made his debut at the age of 15. This is his breakthrough season and has played a huge hand in Jharkhand's surge this year.

Yes, this was Kishan's breakout season. But, he did score a wonderful knock against Jaddu on a raging turner last year... excellent use of fett there.

On a side note, I don't know if Pant has been tested on a raging turner... last year, Kishan played a wonderful innings against Jaddu I believe. Similarly, I'd also like to see how the two do on very green (or pace friendly) tracks. In the U19 final, both flopped, and in that match, I felt that Sarfaraz had demonstrated a much higher degree of comfort than these two... but of course, he's faded since then.