Who names their kid knowing that the name is that of a tyrant?

coffee_rules

4 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Yes, Ashoka killed a lot of indians and later repented it and became a monk. Timur killed 17 million people and then wrote about it in great sadistic detail. Yes, they are the same.Plus 

Right. combination of things actually

- Ashok was Indian Not an outsider.

- Later on repented as you mentioned

- Plus Ashok is a word from an Indian language , Sanskrit.

2 hours ago, zen said:

As I said, it is hard to judge deeds performed in very distant histroy through today's lens. By today's standards the likes of Alexander, Ceaser, Napolean, etc., would be tyrants 

More importantly, the British ruled Ind for over 200 years inflicting numerous atritocities

And let's not forget the cruel aspect of slavery / slave trade

Coming back to Mongols, they ruled China (through Qing dynasty iirc) and Ind (through Mughals). The Japanese occupiation of China and other parts was brutal. USA has probably killed more ppl than any other country / tyrant to fuel its military-industrial complex

Also read up on what the Islamic Calipate did in Africa and Europe 

My point is more about looking at history through the norms of the respective time vs through today's lens

First Point-Ashoka is more famous for his redemption story than his atrocities...He became almost saint like in his later years..That is why he is looked up to.....He regretted his actions and renounced violence-Did Taimur,Ghazni etc. ever do that? Infact weren't they known to kill their own brothers or imprison their own fathers etc.....I don't think Ashoka apart from being a conqueror is "popular" for any such acts.

Alexander,Ceaser,Napolean were all conquerors....They were not known for racial/Ethnic cleansing or genocide-Yes War and War crimes,maybe.

Hitler-Obviously no one names their kid Adolf for obvious reasons.

1 minute ago, radhika said:

Had he not seen the error of his ways and turned a new leaf...he probably  would be in the same category.He did repent and made amends.

You won't find many people naming their kids Ravan, Duryodhan ,Kekayi or shrupnakha.......

This Ashok argument is so stupid....Ashoka is remembered for becoming a peace loving monk...one of the greatest inspirational and redemotion stories.

Also Yes Ashoka's army killed soldiers not innocent civilians like Taimur etc...who looted civilians and ravaged cities.

As for naming  of the poor child.......

What else can we expect from a guy coming from  a family who believe in killing animals for sport.Saif and his father...both have a history. Pity they didn't live in the age when killing humans for sport was acceptable. They can always take solace in naming the child after a Barbarian who did that.

As for Kareena.....she can be excused .Her two  brain cells must be tired.

1 hour ago, radhika said:

What else can we expect from a guy coming from  a family who believe in killing animals for sport.Saif and his father...both have a history. Pity they didn't live in the age when killing humans for sport was acceptable. They can always take solace in naming the child after a Barbarian who did that.

Wow. What a post!

2 hours ago, radhika said:

Top Post. 

Here is something I have never understood about subcontinental muslims. They all suffer from the disease of glorifying invaders of India, the ones who looted, plundered and did forced conversions. Sheer barbarians.

I thought this disease was confined to Pakistanis. But it is seen even among blue blooded Indian muslims. Pitiful.

But why blame them, when it took us 6 decades for us to rename some of our streets and alleys based on these barbarians.

Does a certain Aurangazeb road in Delhi's most elite district ring a bell ? This mofu was a bigger barbarian than Taimur

Edited by narenpande1

3 hours ago, randomGuy said:

Right. combination of things actually

- Ashok was Indian Not an outsider.

- Later on repented as you mentioned

- Plus Ashok is a word from an Indian language , Sanskrit.

What kind of an arguement is this?

Ashok was an outsider to  the people of Kalinga. The very country he invaded and the soldiers he butchered. There wasn't a concept of India back then. 

3 hours ago, maniac said:

First Point-Ashoka is more famous for his redemption story than his atrocities...He became almost saint like in his later years..That is why he is looked up to.....He regretted his actions and renounced violence-Did Taimur,Ghazni etc. ever do that? Infact weren't they known to kill their own brothers or imprison their own fathers etc.....I don't think Ashoka apart from being a conqueror is "popular" for any such acts.

Alexander,Ceaser,Napolean were all conquerors....They were not known for racial/Ethnic cleansing or genocide-Yes War and War crimes,maybe.

Hitler-Obviously no one names their kid Adolf for obvious reasons.

I have not made any comments on Ashoka so I guess you are replying to someone else 

My point is that it is hard to judge very distant history through today's lens

3 hours ago, radhika said:

This is Saif Ali Khan's second son. If we were to go by your line of thinking, he should have named his first son after a blood thirsty barbarian too. 

His first son is called Ibrahim, incidentally the last emperor of the Delhi Sultanate was a certain Ibrahim Lodhi. The guy who tried to defend India ( at least his empire) against the foreigner Babur. Maybe Saif the historian named his son after him. :dontknow:

Why so harsh towards Kareena? I agree she shouldn't have done Refugee and Main Prem Ki Diwani hoon. But everyone picks rubbish movies once in a while.

Edited by Mariyam

7 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

This is Saif Ali Khan's second son. If we were to go by your line of thinking, he should have named his first son after a blood thirsty barbarian too. 

His first son is called Ibrahim, incidentally the last emperor of the Delhi Sultanate was a certain Ibrahim Lodhi. Maybe Saif the historian named his son after him. :dontknow:

What is it that is really bothering you about people's reaction? The criticism of Saif-Kareena's decision or the criticism of imperialists who used Islam as their political-military doctrine or both? 

Edited by jalebi_bhai

Just now, zen said:

I have not made any comments on Ashoka so I guess you are replying to someone else 

My point is that it is hard to judge very distant history through today's lens

Sure but the difference being is that Taimur never ruled in India...so his invasion stops at looting and taking back riches from India..it wasn't like he was a friendly visitor who got a lot of goodies from the local king.

There are plenty of arguments for Akbar,Humayun,Babar,Jahangir/Salim etc etc being tyrants too but at the end of the day they were emperors of India which is a fact and no one cares if someone named their kid that because it is what it is.

Similarly with Taimur only known thing is he was a invader and bandit who killed innocent civilians

Big difference.

Even Ravana was supposed to be a noble Brahmin king who made 1 blunder in his life and even more that is just mythology but obviously no one names their kid that....Sure any parent can name their kid Ravan if they want but the kid will surely be bullied and 2)clearly if the parents are not ignorant they are trying to make a diss statement by naming their kid that.

10 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

His first son is called Ibrahim, incidentally the last emperor of the Delhi Sultanate was a certain Ibrahim Lodhi. Maybe Saif the historian named his son after him. :dontknow:

So quick question Is Ibrahim Lodhi the only popular Ibrahim out there-Not accounting for Dawood Ibrahim...I am pretty sure there are plenty of  well known Ibrahims in history....so maybe that was given a pass but Taimur the Lame really? 

16 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

What kind of an arguement is this?

Ashok was an outsider to  the people of Kalinga. The very country he invaded and the soldiers he butchered. There wasn't a concept of India back then. 

Ofcourse there was a concept of India.

We called it Bharatvarsha/Aryavarta. Which we see in Panini's writings around 500 BC

When the Greeks came to India, they called the whole place India. At first it was just Pakistan (coz thats how far Alexander went and Alexander's arrival was the first recorded meeting of Greeks & Indians) but shortly thereafter, when Megasthenes went to Chandragupta Maurya's court as the Seleucid ambassador, he called the entire land 'India'. 

India didnt mean a country back then, it meant a region- corresponding to what would be eastern Afghanistan, Pakistan, India,Nepal & Bangladesh. The same way they used the word 'Europa' to describe the continent/subcontinent of Europe.