The Australian Open 2017

Cricketics

On 1/22/2017 at 11:27 AM, Scarface said:

^Oops my bad :embarassed: I am watching today almost after a year and that too coz Fed was playing. Happy that Fed's 5-setter ended happily. Hope he wins this Aus Open since both the top seeds are out :pray:

Wawrinka heavy favorite who is currently in battle with Tsonga.

Federer plays Zverev next up after this game on this same court. 

Man What a story of this Lucic Banoni.

She came in as a promising youngster as 15-16 year old in 90s. By 2000, she had faded away. And now after 20 years she reaches her first semi final.

A brilliant sport story if one was ever looking forward to hearing. This is it. Class and hats off to her for hanging in there for a such a long time. Semi final of a grandslam is a big thing. 

And Sania/Dodiq beat Bopanna/Dabrowski in quarters of mixed doubles which means Paes and Hingis could face another Indian pair in semis if they get through their tough game against Stosur/Groth the Aussie team which will be playing at home.

Meanwhile, match of the day has just started - David Goffin vs Grigor Dimitrov. Should be an epic. Very evenly matched players. 

Gutted for Djoker. But his level of play after winning French open was pretty low but i will take French open any day. Split with Boris was a wrong choice too.

Hoping he will bounce back soon:cheer:

Good to see Andy getting knocked out:phehe: My only positive of this AO since djoker is out early.

As far as Federer he is playing at a pretty good level but Murray or Djoker would exposed him, still there is Nadal threat though. He was running through stan in first 2 sets today but suddenly stan decided to show up after medical time out at end of 2nd set. Federer started to play poorly in 3rd and 4th sets, stan capitalized on this and won next 2 sets forcing a decider. In 5th stan handed him a break which he capitalized on.

Good win for him though. 2 complete days rest before final is good for him. He has a minor injury too.

One last chance for federer to reach Magic 18. But nadal threat looms. Dimitrov needs to take out nadal for federer to have any chance in winning this AO, Dimitrov vs Federer too is not an easy one for federer but it is much better than facing Nadal.

If final is between Rafa vs Federer, we all know what's gonna happen. Odds will be against Fed, lets see what he does.

Hope roger wins this AO:agree: it will motivate Djoker too:cheer:

2 hours ago, kumar713 said:

No if one supports federer.

I do support Federer, but I would like to see a nadal Federer final. This rivalry produced many great matches. While one might say the rivalry is one sided. That's actually nt the case. Nadal has only dominated in clay courts. While Federer leads in hard and grass courts. He will fancy his chances. Plus playing against dimitrov will be like playing against a younger budding version of himself(he has been labelled as having a Federer style of playing)

on a side note, a Williams sisters finals, veterans are truly dominating this Open.

I do support Federer, but I would like to see a nadal Federer final. This rivalry produced many great matches. While one might say the rivalry is one sided. That's actually nt the case. Nadal has only dominated in clay courts. While Federer leads in hard and grass courts. He will fancy his chances. Plus playing against dimitrov will be like playing against a younger budding version of himself(he has been labelled as having a Federer style of playing)

on a side note, a Williams sisters finals, veterans are truly dominating this Open.

Nadal is Federers worst nightmare.

The match up is as lopsided as possible.

Nadal doesnt even need to do anything special to defeat Federer.

If they meet it will be a 4 set win for Nadal.

7 minutes ago, Yoda-esque said:

Nadal is Federers worst nightmare.

The match up is as lopsided as possible.

Nadal doesnt even need to do anything special to defeat Federer.

If they meet it will be a 4 set win for Nadal.

If this was a clay match, I would agree, but in hard and grass courts Federer leads nadal, with most of the matches being close. Nadal's 23 or 24-10(nt sure exactly) wins were mostly contested on clay.

If this was a clay match, I would agree, but in hard and grass courts Federer leads nadal, with most of the matches being close. Nadal's 23 or 24-10(nt sure exactly) wins were mostly contested on clay.

When was the last time Federer defeated Nadal in a 5 setter? I think Wimbledon 2007...

19 minutes ago, Yoda-esque said:

When was the last time Federer defeated Nadal in a 5 setter? I think Wimbledon 2007...

yeah ur right, Federer has beaten nadal only in 3 set matches since then, with the most recent meeting going in favour of Federer.

At this stage, Fed vs Rafa is a mental thing for Fed. They both have lost a step in speed- which impacts Nadal's game far more than Federer's. But for Federer to win, he has to believe he can and stick to the plan, instead of getting over-aggressive. For Nadal to win (if he beats Dimitrov), he'd have to hope Federer isn't seeing the ball as big as a football. Or he won't be able to dig out those monster forehands of Federer like he used to.

Edited by Muloghonto

At this stage, Fed vs Rafa is a mental thing for Fed. They both have lost a step in speed- which impacts Nadal's game far more than Federer's. But for Federer to win, he has to believe he can and stick to the plan, instead of getting over-aggressive. For Nadal to win (if he beats Dimitrov), he'd have to hope Federer isn't seeing the ball as big as a football. Or he won't be able to dig out those monster forehands of Federer like he used to.

Federer has to attack the forehand ,go big on it.

Nadals backhand is still very reliable but his forehand on the run has lost its edge.Also Federer has to attempt more DTL backhands which will open up Nadals FH wing.