All news about IPL

SachDan

Pietersen rejects Indian league Star England batsman Kevin Pietersen says he has turned down an approach to play in the big-money Indian Premier League. More... Star England batsman Kevin Pietersen has ruled out playing in the multi-million pound Indian Premier League Twenty20 competition. Pietersen said he had been approached by the IPL but that no amount of money would tempt him away from England. "There's no way in this world I'd turn my back on England," he insisted. "I know there is interest and, yes, there have been offers, etc etc, but it's not something I'm particularly interested in." The IPL, which starts on 18 April and will clash with the start of the English season, has attracted many of the world's top players. The biggest international stars will earn huge amounts of money - Australia all-rounder Andrew Symonds was signed for nearly £700,000. I love playing for England and there will be nothing that will lure me away from England just yet Kevin Pietersen And Pietersen and his England team-mate Andrew Flintoff, who is injured, are of great interest to the IPL organisers because of their flamboyant style IPL organiser Lalit Modi told BBC Sport on Thursday that "most of the England players" wanted to play in the competition. But Pietersen, who was born in South Africa and had a four-year apprenticeship in county cricket before being promoted to the Test squad, said his loyalty to England was greater than the lure of a big pay-day. "Money's not really too important, it's not as if I need money right now. I'm really enjoying doing what I'm doing," he added. "I love playing for England, I love playing for the spectators. England has given me a fantastic opportunity to a fantastic life at the moment. So I'm fully committed 100% to playing for England, to winning games for England, to scoring thousands more runs for England. "I love playing for England and there will be nothing that will lure me away from England just yet. "I'm really enjoying what I'm doing. It's a great challenge, challenging myself against the best players in the world in Test and one-day cricket."

A Few days ago,

Well put Lurker. Most of the greatest moments we watched in cricket like Tendulkar battling cramps and a back problem at Chennai or Waugh scoring his Oval ton in 01 on one single leg, or Lara defying Australia's finest to score that magic 153 at Bridgetown didn't come because people were throwing dollars around. And I echo what you said about the England players. A lot of them, especially Flintoff, would have found it too easy to go to India and just play. With Flintoff's fitness problems in the past, it'd have been the softest route - go play a few weeks each year, make a monstrous amount and not risk his body for England. While I've bashed the England team a lot, I appreciate the characters of most of their players and have a tremendous respect for many of them especially with the fact that Collingwood, Flintoff and co. aren't being blinded like Symonds and rushing for the IPL's cash.
I have tagged this post. I will not forget to bump it, when we see, without fail, further instances of English "unselfish and patriotism". You would be extremely naive to think its just cricketing reasons that forced most English cricketers to stay away. There's more to it than meets the eye, make no mistake about it. At the end of day, EVERY player would want to maximum mileage out his cricketing career, deserved or undeserved. Of course, not to say that there's something wrong with it. Trust me, the last line hasnt been written yet, vis-a-vis, the English participation in IPL
Yesterday,
"We have a huge amount of pressure from the English players to be participating in it," Modi told BBC Radio 5 Live. "Sooner or later we will look at adjusting our programmes while we try to bring our league forward. "The objective would be in the future we would be working with the ECB to ensure the overlap doesn't take place."
:D

IPL 'cricketers will earn as much as Lampard' Lalit Modi has created a tournament that will revolutionise the game and make its stars rich, writes Simon Briggs. More... IPL 'cricketers will earn as much as Lampard' By Simon Briggs Last Updated: 1:10am GMT 01/03/2008 Any regular reader of these pages who happened to be passing through the lobby of the Carlton Towers Hotel yesterday would have spotted Terry Venables conducting a meeting over a pot of coffee. They would have been rather less likely to notice the affable-looking Indian businessman in the brown corduroy suit. Yet this same man has set off an earthquake that has shaken the world of cricket - the world of sport, even - to its foundations. Lalit Modi, the chairman of the Indian Premier League, has pulled off an astonishing and unprecedented conjuring trick: he has created a billion-dollar tournament out of nothing. A few months ago, no one had heard of the IPL or its eight city franchises. Now those franchises have been sold for prices ranging from £34 million to £56 million. More than 70 international stars have been recruited for salaries that, until last week, would have been beyond even Sachin Tendulkar's wildest dreams. Buoyed by wallet-busting enthusiasm from owners, sponsors and broadcasters, Modi is convinced that the IPL will catapult cricket up to the level of football's Premier League and beyond. "If you look at the comparison, Aston Villa were recently sold for £62 million," he said. "That is a historic club with a ground and established supporters. We just sold the Mumbai franchise for almost the same amount of money, and the team doesn't even exist yet. Then you can compare the players: Andrew Symonds is making £100,000 a week for the duration of the tournament, Mahendra Singh Dhoni even more than that. Tell me who in the Premier League earns as much? Maybe Frank Lampard, maybe Cristiano Ronaldo. But not many. "We set a salary cap of $5million [£2.5 million] per team for the first season," Modi said. "We didn't want a couple of extremely rich individuals to create a situation where it's only a few teams, like Manchester United or Chelsea, who can win the title. But if we hadn't done that, I can tell you that our players would already be the highest-paid across any sport in the world. It will happen - if not today, then tomorrow. Because once the franchises have established themselves, it will be a free-for-all." Modi's enthusiasm for his project is boundless. Like many other members of the Board of Control for Cricket in India, he is a businessman first and a cricket administrator second. The gigantic sums pouring into the BCCI's coffers are, for him, a validation of the whole ambitious scheme. Yet the very speed of India's Twenty20 explosion has left the rest of the world feeling shell-shocked. What will these new economics do to the traditional world of five-day Tests and three-month tours? Will players be torn between patriotism and the temptation to pay off the mortgage in one go? The timing of the IPL, which runs from April 18 this year until June 1, means that no country will be feeling more anxious about these questions than England. It would be easy to portray Modi as a free-market predator, in line with Oscar Wilde's definition of a cynic as "someone who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing". Clearly he is not moved by sentiment: at one point in our conversation he predicts that Test cricket should be able to survive as a game "with its own skills and its own charm, which will continue to be enjoyed by hard-core cricket fans". His tone suggests he does not see himself among that group. Yet there is no reason why cold business logic should be at odds with the best interests of the game. Modi knows as well as anyone that he needs a stable international circuit to provide his tournament with its manpower. He has an understanding with the other national boards that he will not go poaching players against their will: all cricketers who appear in the IPL must have a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from their home board, whether they have retired from international cricket or not. And he has gone out of his way to protect England by declaring their players - including prime targets Kevin Pietersen and Paul Collingwood - off limits for the first year at least. In return, he expects the counties to reject anyone who has signed for the IPL's unauthorised rival, the Indian Cricket League. "We accept that people are committed to certain pre-existing contracts, but it's not acceptable for any county to knowingly sign an ICL player," he said. "They need to keep to that understanding, otherwise the trickle-down effect is that none of the English counties could end up being invited to the Champions Twenty20 Trophy in the autumn." Modi added: "The ICL is run by businessmen for profit, whereas the BCCI and the IPL are non-profit organisations: anything we do goes back into the development of the game and the enhancing of infrastructure. We are working with private enterprise to change cricketers' lives. You take someone like Ishant Sharma: his father earned £75 a year and his whole family lived in a single room in Delhi. Now he's being paid £475,000 for two months' work: his life has changed, his family's life has changed, it's wonderful to see. "It's not cheap to do this. The model is very different to the ICL: they have one stadium, where they play all the games. We have eight cities involved, and you have to take the cricket to each of them if you want to build that concept of 'My city, my team'. There were two TV production crews at the last World Cup, but we have four, and two jumbo jets to carry them in. "The two biggest entertainments in India are cricket and Bollywood. And with film stars like Shahrukh Khan and Preity Zinta among the franchise owners, we are putting the two together." So what about accusations that Modi and Co are using India's fearsome economic clout to boss the rest of the world around? He said: "India has been subservient for 100 years. People are used to dictating terms to us. We're just evening the playing field. And if it's our turn to have some glory, so much the better."

IPL will deliver peace: Gilly THE Indian Premier League Twenty20 tournament has the power to mend international cricket's destructive feuding, according to Australian wicketkeeper Adam Gilchrist.

0,,5915902,00.jpg

The tit-for-tat summer of spats is set to climax today when Australia and India clash at the SCG in the first final of the one-day series. Gilchrist admitted the season has got out of hand and has been "exhausting'', as much because of the off-field drama and political power plays as the on-field intensity. But the retiring gloveman was hopeful relationships between international players could be enhanced when they become team-mates in the IPL. more...

Second IPL auction next week: Modi Mumbai: The Cricket Board-floated Indian Premier League will conduct a second players' auction next week to enable franchises, that have money left after the initial auction held on February 20, from the five million USD cap, supplement their player base. "We plan to hold an internal players auction next week with only the team mangement who have money left (in their kitty) to supplement their players," Lalit Modi, IPL Commissioner and Chairman, said. more...

'Revenues from IPL to improve cricket infrastructure' Lalit Modi says the revenues will be used to improve the game's infrastructure on a priority basis ahead of the 2011 World Cup. More... Revenues from IPL to improve cricket infrastructure: Modi Press Trust Of India Mumbai, March 07, 2008 First Published: 14:06 IST(7/3/2008) Last Updated: 14:09 IST(7/3/2008) Indian Premier League Chairman Lalit Modi says the revenues from the Twenty20 League will be used by the cricket board to improve the game's infrastructure on a priority basis ahead of the 2011 World Cup to be held in the sub-continent. "The revenues of the DLF Indian Premier League would go a long way in vastly improving the on-ground cricketing infrastructure and stadia within the country in preparation of the 2011 World Cup," he told PTI in an exclusive interview. "The BCCI has always maintained that refurbishment of all of our cricketing infrastructure and stadia prior to the 2011 World Cup is top-priority and would be given the highest level of importance so that we can stage a truly unique World Cup - one that the cricketing world has never seen," he explained. Maintaining that the BCCI was a non-profit organisation and all money that is raised are "redeployed into improving the level of cricket in India", Modi pointed out that presently the country has more cricketers from rural and tier II cities playing for "the men in blue" than ever before. "Why is that? It is due to the efforts of the BCCI's talent grooming programme. Our cricketers today are privy to the best coaches, facilities and training methodologies to help them develop and hone their skills and the results are there for all to see," he said. Modi, a Vice President of the BCCI, was responding to a query on why the Board, which gets tax exemption from the government, should not contribute towards social development through the tax kitty now that it's making a huge amount of money.

IPL : Hero Honda extends co-sponsorship deal The Indian Premier League has extended its co-sponsorship deal with Hero Honda, India's largest manufacturer of two-wheelers, from three to five years. More... Indian Premier League Hero Honda extends co-sponsorship deal Cricinfo staff March 7, 2008 The Indian Premier League has extended its co-sponsorship deal with Hero Honda, India's largest manufacturer of two-wheelers, from three to five years. The five-year deal is worth US$22.5 million. Hero Honda had earlier lost out on the title sponsorship rights for the IPL to real-estate developer DLF, who won the five-year contract for $50m. Last month, they had negotiated a three-year co-sponsorship deal, reportedly worth $4.5m per year. "I am very pleased to have the country's largest two wheeler manufacturer Hero Honda extend its co-sponsorship deal from three to five years," Lalit Modi, the IPL's chairman and commissioner, said. "Hero Honda have a long association with cricket both at the domestic and international levels and their decision bears testimony to the fact that the DLF Indian Premier League is here to stay and is set to carve out a distinct niche for itself in the international cricketing calendar." Incidentally, Hero Honda were represented for both the title sponsorship bid and the negotiations for the co-sponsorship deal by World Sports Group, who in alliance with India's Sony Television network, secured the television rights for ten years at a cost of more than US$1 billion. The bids for the IPL's eight-city based franchises had generated proceeds of $723.59m. The first edition of the IPL starts on April 18, with 59 matches to be played over 44 days.

Cricket: Smoke and mirrors as seven more sign to IPL The Indian Premier League (IPL) has effectively ring-fenced the entire New Zealand team in a sensational week that has seen several more players sign deals with the Twenty20 league. In an extraordinary development, the Herald on... More... Cricket: Smoke and mirrors as seven more sign to IPL 5:00AM Sunday March 09, 2008 By Dylan Cleaver The Indian Premier League (IPL) has effectively ring-fenced the entire New Zealand team in a sensational week that has seen several more players sign deals with the Twenty20 league. In an extraordinary development, the Herald on Sunday has learned seven more New Zealand-contracted players have signed with the league and the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) wanted to suppress all details for fear of being increasingly seen as world cricket's soft touch. So far the seven - on top of Brendon McCullum, Daniel Vettori, Stephen Fleming, Jacob Oram and Scott Styris who were signed in the original 'draft' - have not been named but, by process of elimination, it's not difficult to surmise Kyle Mills, Ross Taylor, Chris Martin, Jeetan Patel and Jamie How will be clutching contracts. All have inked retainers worth between $40,000 and $100,000 in lieu of not signing for the 'rebel' Indian Cricket League (ICL). Not all of them, however, are expected to enter the IPL's second auction on Tuesday night. Mills and Taylor are tipped to feature but New Zealand Cricket chief executive Justin Vaughan said he had no inside knowledge on that subject, it being a case of the players making their own deals with the IPL. Advertisement"We had nothing to do with the agreements so we don't know who will enter the auction," Vaughan said. Even the secrecy cannot detract, though, from what must be viewed as a good week for NZC who now have 11 players on their books - and the retiring Fleming - who are unlikely to be tempted away to the ICL. Vaughan said while he must sign off on all of the contracts, he remained in the dark as to who would go to auction. The release would be a mere formality given the board's stance on using the IPL as encouragement not to sign for the ICL. Vaughan said dialogue between himself and BCCI and IPL boss Lalat Modi was likely instrumental in the splurge of signings. "It could be. Looking from afar, New Zealand appears to be the country participating the most in the ICL. They are trying to extinguish the ICL so it is in both of our interests, really. Maybe they could see a critical mass forming." It's understood Modi wanted the deals to remain quiet so as not to encourage the likes of the West Indies to push forward players who did not really warrant contracts. Vaughan would not give details of the specific dates for the release of players, given the uncertainty surrounding the second auction. If Mills and Taylor are picked up in the auction, it will likely spell bad news for McCullum, Vettori and Oram, who were hoping to join the tour to England late. The IPL pays on a pro-rata basis and another couple of games would have been lucrative to those three who are all on more than US$600,000 per year. However, Vaughan has said it's unlikely NZC would allow five players to join the tour late.

18 foreign players for 2nd IPL auction The list includes seven New Zealanders, four Australians, three Pakistanis, two from Bangladesh, and one each from Sri Lanka and South Africa. More... 18 foreign cricketers finalised for second IPL auction New Delhi, March 09, 2008 First Published: 16:36 IST(9/3/2008) Last Updated: 16:58 IST(9/3/2008) Pakistan's Mohammed Yousuf and South Africa's Ashwell Prince, who were dumped by franchise owners at the Indian Premier League (IPL) auction last month, along with Misbah-ul-Haq will be among the 18 players to be auctioned on Tuesday. IANS accessed the highly confidential players' list that will be distributed to the eight franchise owners not before Tuesday morning. The list includes seven New Zealanders, four Australians, three Pakistanis, two from Bangladesh, and one each from Sri Lanka and South Africa. The list includes the cricketers who are already contracted by IPL, an extension of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), and would be playing in the maiden edition of the lucrative Twenty20 tournament starting April 18. "There are 13 other foreign players who have shown keen interest to play in the first season," a top BCCI official told IANS on condition of anonymity. As per the IPL rules, the high profile team owners are free to buy more foreign players from outside the list of 18. But the teams will have to inform the IPL about the players they are targeting and the organisers will then negotiate their base price and try to secure the no-objection certificates (NOCs) from their home boards. Pakistani batting's mainstay Yousuf and Prince were up for sale in the first auction, but there were no takers for the two players. They were once again ignored even when they were presented at the end of the eight-round auction, where 75 players went down the hammer. The duo would now be hoping to be picked Tuesday. Misbah, on the other hand, was not in the fray in the first auction. The team owners, who were asked to spend between $3.3 million and $5 million at the first auction in Mumbai Feb 20, have varying amounts left in their kitty, which necessitated a second auction. The amounts left are: $374,000 with Bangalore, $23,750 with Chennai, $71,250 with Delhi, $262,500 with Hyderabad, $1,700,000 with Jaipur, $107,500 with Kolkata, $292,250 with Mohali and $53,750 with Mumbai. "However, if a team overspends $5 million on players who were initially not available but become available later, the excess expenditure will be ignored. Also, player fees for Indian players who were not in the auction do not count against the $5m purse," said the official. "There will be no more auctions this season," the official added. Each team can have a minimum of 16 players, including a maximum of eight currently available foreigners but not more than four in the playing XI. Those foreign players who are not available will not count towards the total. The minimum of four under-22 players to be selected for the squad will be taken from catchments areas and include U-19, Ranji Trophy and national players. They should be under 22 years of age as on April 1 of the applicable season. The minimum fee for Ranji Trophy and non-auction players has been fixed at $50,000 per season while under-22 players will receive $20,000 for the same period. All players must submit the NOCs at least 30 days before the start of every season, with the exception for the Australian players. Cricket Australia (CA) has said that it would give NOCs to its players, if the franchise keen to contract a player has already met two conditions: (a) it has already signed two CA's centrally contracted players, or (b) it has already signed two players registered to the same Australian state association. This clause was added at the last minute before the first auction and will again apply. But players who have retired from international and Australian domestic cricket and are not contracted with either CA or their state association - like Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath - do not have to meet this condition. All team owners have to finalise their squads by 30 days before the start of the 2008 season, which is March 19. Players for second auction: (includes Availability for the tournament) 1 Mohammad Yousuf (Pakistan/batsman/season availability 80 percent) 2 Ashwell Prince (South Africa/batsman, 100 percent) 3 Kyle Mills (New Zealand/bowler/ 40 percent) 4 Mohammad Hafeez (Pakistan/all-rounder, 80 percent) 5 Ross Taylor (New Zealand/batsman/40 percent) 6 Peter Fulton (New Zealand/batsman/40 percent) 7 Jamie How (New Zealand/batsman/40 percent) 8 Jeetan Patel (New Zealand/bowler/40 percent) 9 Chris Martin (New Zealand/bowler/40 percent) 10 James Franklin (New Zealand/bowler/40 percent) 11 Brad Hodge (Australia/batsman/100 percent) 12 Shane Watson (Australia/all-rounder/100 percent) 13 James Hopes (Australia/all-rounder/80 percent) 14 Luke Pomersbach (Australia/batsman/100 percent) 15 Prasanna Jayawardene (Sri Lanka/wicket-keeper-batsman/100 percent) 16 Mohammad Ashraful (Bangladesh/all-rounder/100 percent) 17 Mashrafe Mortaza (Bangladesh/batsman/100 percent) 18 Misbah-ul-Haq (Pakistan/batsman/80 percent) Players who have expressed their interest: 1 Goolam Bodi (South Africa) 2 Shaun Marsh (Australia) 3 Brad Hogg (Australia) 4 Shaun Tait (Australia) 5 Adam Voges (Australia) 6 Mick Lewis (Australia) 7 Darren Lehman (Australia) 8 Allen Wise (Australia) 9 Aiden Blizzard (Australia) 10 Adam Crosthwaite (Australia) 11 Yasir Hameed (Pakistan) 12 Kieran Powell (West Indies) 13 Dwayne Smith (West Indies)

Taufel pulls out of IPL matches

Not enough money in IPL for umpires

1003taufel_313.jpg

Mumbai: Top umpire Simon Taufel has pulled out of the list to officiate in the forthcoming IPL (Indian Premier League) matches. This was revealed by Dheeraj Malhotra, the IPL tournament director. "Simon Taufel has pulled out due to his personal reasons," said Malhotra. It may be recalled here that Taufel, the best-rated umpire by the International Cricket Council (ICC), had expressed his desire to officiate in the IPL matches. Confirming his withdrawal over telephone from Australia, Taufel disclosed what his 'personal reasons' were. "The remuneration offered by them is too less compared to what the players have been receiving. Being away from the family for so long and accepting such a low fees was not acceptable to me". Taufel, 37, has been an outstanding umpire having won the Umpire of the Year Award four times in a row. Taufel was given the award after the 10 Test playing captains and the eight-man panel of match referees submitted their votes. He is already growing weary at the constant travelling his job demands. more...

Aussie Pomersbach willing to play IPL for 'free' Pomersbach is one of four Australian players in line for the second IPL player auction. More... Aussie Pomersbach willing to play IPL for 'free' Fringe Australian player Luke Pomersbach says he is willing to play in the lucrative Indian Premier League for free to compete with the world's leading cricketers. Pomersbach, who made his international Twenty20 debut for Australia in Perth in December, is one of four Australian players in line to cash in on the second IPL player auction in Mumbai on Tuesday. The eight IPL franchises have the chance to bolster their playing stocks with the Australian quartet not expected to be encumbered by national duties during the competition starting on April 18. Team owners reportedly have varying amounts left in their kitties after spending between 3.3 million and 5 million USD at last month's first auction. Pomersbach, the 23-year-old West Australian left-hander who has scored centuries for WA against South Africa and England touring teams, said he was keen to compete. "I am pretty excited about it, because I did not think I would have a chance, but I have, and it will be a chance to play with some serious cricketers," Pomersbach said Monday. "I would be happy to go over for free and play that standard of cricket and cricketers," he said. "I will be able to learn so much from them, but I will take anything I can get." Pomersbach joins other Australian cricketers -- Brad Hodge, Shane Watson and James Hopes -- in the second draft of players to be auctioned. The IPL is essentially an Indian Twenty20 domestic competition between eight city teams owned by corporate giants and movie stars who have hired the world's best cricketers at mind-boggling prices. It is the nearest thing to Fantasy Cricket, and cricketers have been offered huge sums offered to play in the inaugural 44-day, 59-match extravaganza. But Western Australia coach Tom Moody, who will oversee Mohali in the IPL, said the franchises wouldn't have as much to spend following the large amount of money thrown around at the first auction. "It would be a positive thing if they do get snapped up, because it is only going to help their game to be involved in a high level competition and surround themselves with international players and learn from them," Moody said. "But I know a lot of the franchises have had their funds exhausted. There are only a few that have got a few pennies left in the bank so we will see what happens."