All news about IPL

SachDan

Tensions mount as Symonds attacks Malcolm Conn | February 11, 2008 A CONFUSED and angry Andrew Symonds has highlighted the frantic dash for cash by some of Australia's leading players, who are desperate to play in the multi-billion dollar Indian Premier League Twenty20 competition. Still angry at Cricket Australia for a perceived lack of support during his racism battle with India's Harbhajan Singh last month, Symonds used his weekly syndicated Sunday newspaper column to criticise CA for "interference" which he claims is preventing players signing with the IPL. Symonds' outburst highlights the growing tension between CA and its senior players over the Harbhajan issue and the IPL, with the deadline for signing with the new Twenty20 competition little more than a week away. Australian Cricketers Association chief executive Paul Marsh claimed Symonds stated what other players are feeling. "Andrew's comments are reflective of a number of players regarding the IPL," Marsh said. "It's an exciting opportunity for players and a great initiative but time is ticking away and they want a resolution. There are complex issues we are working through with Cricket Australia." Under his CA contract the all-rounder potentially faces disciplinary action for his outspoken and inaccurate comments, however, CA chief executive James Sutherland is attempting to defuse the issue by arranging a discussion with Symonds. "Andrew's made some very passionate public comment," CA public affairs manager Peter Young said yesterday. "He runs his column the same way he plays his cricket, with swashbuckling bravado. "The problem we had with his comment yesterday is it's clearly based on a complete lack of understanding of the detail of what's going on. "What we suggested yesterday was 'let's have a discussion' and our chief executive James Sutherland rang and left a message asking Andrew to give him a call. "What we are hoping is that James will be able to walk him through the detail so he actually understands what is going on and in particular, he understands that we are very keen to see IPL succeed in a manner that allows players such as Andrew Symonds to participate. "As James will explain to him, there are complicated issues including issues that relate to protecting Symonds' own position under existing contracts that we need to resolve and hope that we can resolve." Leading Australian players can earn upwards of $1million or more a year in CA contract and match payments, prizemoney, sponsorship, endorsements and media work. They can make hundreds of thousands more playing in the six-week IPL extravaganza, which is due to start on April 18. The reality is that Australia's players are unlikely to be available for the next two years because of international tours. Even if the Pakistan tour from mid-March to the end of April is cancelled, as expected, because of security issues, it is likely to be played at a neutral venue. Australia then goes straight to the West Indies in early May for another six-week tour. "We can't quite work out what's going on with the chiefs at Cricket Australia, who seem to be trying to run interference by putting up a heap of red tape," Symonds wrote in his column. "To be brutally honest, as players, we just can't understand the stance they've taken. We're all keen to have a hit if the tour of Pakistan gets called off, but Cricket Australia has played what looks like a bit of a trick shot. "It's my understanding Cricket Australia are trying to say that Aussie players can't play for teams who are sponsored by competitors to Cricket Australia sponsors. "The way I see it, Queensland are sponsored by XXXX and South Australia are sponsored by WestEnd - but Cricket Australia is sponsored by Foster's. So CA is trying to say that's a conflict of interest and because of that we can't play?" This is not one of the outstanding issues. CA has no problem with the badge of an opposition sponsor appearing on a player's shirt during the new eight-team competition. However, it would take strong exception if captain Ricky Ponting or another of the players appeared in an international advertising campaign in opposition to CA's major sponsors. While refusing to discuss any detail of CA's discussions with the Board of Control for Cricket in India over the confusing and still shambolic IPL, Young claimed CA strongly supported the concept. "It is not just sponsorship issues. There are a range of issues and the sponsorship issue is far more complicated than what has so far been presented publicly," Young said. "We are keen to see Australian players participate in the IPL but on the basis that it doesn't compromise future tours or ICC events." http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23190818-5001505,00.html

Modi sets deadline for Aussies to join IPL Posted on Feb 12, 2008 at 21:28 | Updated Feb 12, 2008 at 21:42 Melbourne: Indian Premier League (IPL) chairman Lalit Modi on Tuesday made it clear that no global protection for Cricket Australia's sponsors would be given "under any circumstances" and set Sunday as the deadline for the players to sign their contracts. Modi said Sunday was the deadline for IPL contracts to be signed and returned so that players could be auctioned to the eight franchise teams next Wednesday, which means Australian cricketers would have to decide on either to defy their own board or face a three-year ban from the tournament. "They are running out of time. I am not the type that won't follow through with what I say: if the contracts are not signed and returned by Sunday the Australian players will not be allowed to take part in the IPL for three years. We are taking a list to owners on Monday," Modi said. "Each franchise has a USD 5 million cap for their team, and the contracts are for three years, so when they bid for players at the auction they will use up all of their cap - there will be no money to buy other players later," he was quoted as saying by the Sydney Morning Herald. Modi, however, said Australians players would be allowed to play in the tournament without No Objection Certificates (NOCs) from their board, a stipulation that was required of every other international player. "We will gladly take Australian players without NOCs, we don't want to go down that path but if we will have to, we will," he said. The BCCI had earlier said that it would not accept players who did not have the permission of their respective boards to participate in the Twenty20 tournament to alleviate fears that some stars could quit international cricket to chase the big money on offer in the IPL. http://www.cricketnext.com/news/modi-sets-sunday-deadline-for-aus-to-join-ipl/29607-13.html

Warne rubbishes Cricket Australia's IPL reluctance Shane Warne said the sponsorship restrictions stopping CA from releasing its star players for the IPL did not have any grounds. More... Melbourne, February 13: : Spin legend Shane Warne has said the sponsorship restrictions stopping Cricket Australia from releasing its star players for the Indian Premier League did not have any grounds. Throwing his weight behind BCCI's lucrative Twenty20 venture, Warne said IPL is an "exciting and wonderful" opportunity for the game and should be embraced, keeping aside the conflicting issues that have cropped up before the start of the inaugural edition. "It's a very exciting time for the sport and to market the brand. We should all be embracing the IPL rather than trying to fight it. "From the international boards' point of view and the bosses around the world at county clubs and in domestic competitions, I understand there may be issues about players missing for a certain time or a clash of sponsors. "But here in Australia, each state has cricket sponsors that differ from our national ones, so I don't buy that argument. This issue can be overcome," Warne said in his column in The Daily Telegraph. Warne said IPL should be included in the international schedule and urged the administrators to find a solution to the possible conflict with the Future Tours Programme to facilitate the running of the Twenty20 League. "International cricket for your country must be the No 1 priority, but let's throw the common sense hat on and say the IPL is not going anywhere and it's a wonderful opportunity for players, spectators and all the fans. "Let's make it part of the international schedule and the ICC and the boards can create a new Future Tours Programme."

Players may walk away to play in IPL: CA told The IPL agent warned the Aus Board that players may simply walk away to take part in the its lucrative T20 venture. More... Melbourne, February 13: : Sending a strong signal to Cricket Australia, Indian Premier League's agent Neil Maxwell has warned that players may take premature retirement or simply walk away if they are not allowed to take part in the BCCI-backed lucrative Twenty20 venture. Maxwell, who manages Brett Lee and Mike Hussey, said if the conflicting issues are not resolved, the lure of money may persuade players to opt for the IPL instead of their national teams. "The cricket world is going to have to respond to the IPL, given the magnitude of it," Maxwell said. "I know (Australian players' union boss) Paul Marsh made the logical suggestion that ultimately there needs to be a six-week window carved out of the playing itinerary, the Future Tours Programme. "Otherwise players will be leaving. Players will be retiring. Unfortunately at the moment we have a conflict. If that is taken out, there won't be conflict," Maxwell was quoted as saying in The Courier Mail. IPL Chairman Lalit Modi has already said that global protection for CA's sponsors would not be given and has set a Sunday deadline for the players to sign the contracts. The clause, which requires a 'No Objection Certificate' of the respective boards has also been waived to facilitate the star players to take part in the franchisee auction. Australia's top players were expected to miss the inaugural IPL, starting April 18, because of the scheduled tour of Pakistan, but that could change if the already threatened series is postponed. CA does not have an issue with Adam Gilchrist's decision to retire and play in the IPL as he is 36 and had been on the international circuit for more than a decade. But there are concerns that other established players, especially those in their early 30s, could quit to make as much money, if not more, in 44 days' work in the IPL as they would by playing for Australia, the report said. Maxwell, heading home to Sydney after attending an IPL stakeholders meeting in India, said cricket needed to follow the lead of football's English Premier League. "Every other sport does it now. It carves out windows for other representative tournaments. It carves out windows for players to go and play for their country." Maxwell suggested there would be a "club versus country" debate among players unless CA provided its top 25 players with extended contracts, the report said.

I think CA should bend a little here. A lot of players in Australia debut when they are in their 30s and short failures may even end their career prematurely. I can see why they may want to take part in IPL. It'll be a huge loss if the Aussies are going to quit test cricket for IPL. I strongly believe Gilly quit because of IPL.

"From the international boards' point of view and the bosses around the world at county clubs and in domestic competitions, I understand there may be issues about players missing for a certain time or a clash of sponsors. "But here in Australia, each state has cricket sponsors that differ from our national ones, so I don't buy that argument. This issue can be overcome," Warne said in his column in The Daily Telegraph.
I think Warne has a point. CA is using the sponsor as a reason and that just doesn't hold good. I think Pakistan tour unfortunately will be hampered because of this row. I'm sure most of the Aussie players would rather play IPL than a series against Pak in Pakistan at this point in time.

CA should call their bluff and ask them to fack off. Auustralia has the depth in their ranks to find worthy replacements that would be happy to play for their country rather than prostitute themselves to some businessmen for a few dollars. Other national boards should follow suit.

CA should call their bluff and ask them to fack off. Auustralia has the depth in their ranks to find worthy replacements that would be happy to play for their country rather than prostitute themselves to some businessmen for a few dollars. Other national boards should follow suit.
Spot on. If cricketers would rather play for money than for their country, they should not be given the option to return to their national team. The national cricket boards should hand the players who would give anything for an opportunity a go and forget about the others. However that will never happen. But at the very least it should stop players from their constant whining about playing too much cricket these days.

But there is a dilemma here as Bond put it.

Some people are always going to think that you’re a traitor and I can live with that. I find it strange, though, that in any other job people accept that you try to improve your circumstances and get in a better position for your family but not in sport.
Many people in India who have govt. jobs jump to the private sector if the pay package is better. They are not called greedy & traitor Many of us get our education in India and go abroad and settle their, for what? A better living. We aren't called traitors or greedy. Yet a cricketer is! Common guys he didn't leave NZ team to play against it. he left the team for a independent league.

I think there is a huge misunderstanding. Why should the league opt for a lesser player? They all aim for top players. How do you come to the conclusion that someone is a top player? Well his international career indicates that. So international HAS TO BE THERE if this kind of league has to succeed. It'll survive on star power and ONLY international cricket produces stars, not any domestic cricket or a league. People in India know Ponting or Gichrist or Hayden or Lee through international cricket only. Read this: IPL future is unclear: Gilchrist 00015928-image.jpg Retiring wicketkeeper Adam Gilchrist has admitted he is just as confused as everyone else about the Twenty20 Indian Premier League as planning for the tournament gains momentum. A sponsorship row has put Cricket Australia at loggerheads with the board of control for Cricket, leaving the participation of Australia's stars in the IPL, including Gilchrist, at risk. The lucrative Twenty20 tournament is scheduled to hold its player auction on February 20 where the eight franchises will bid for the world's best cricketers. "I'm like everyone else. It's changing every day almost so I'm just trying to keep up with it and then make decisions based on the facts we have at the time," Gilchrist said. "I'll be watching with interest myself next week when it all comes to a bubbling point. We are all trying to keep up with it." "This might be the beginning of a total change in the cricket structure as we know it. It may not, it might just be another tournament, but we've got to give it time." Gilchrist dismissed suggestions that the commercial complexities of the IPL with Cricket Australia had the potential to damage the sport. "I'm not sure anyone's trying to dud anyone else. Far from that, I think it's just teething problems," he said. "It all came about very quickly and it's just going to continue to take time and maybe a trial and error process before we know exactly where the land will lie." Gilchrist said he believed the allure of international cricket would overcome the temptation to retire early in order to earn quick money in the IPL. "I understand the fear of that happening but I really believe what motivates players to take on the journey to play for your country - it comes from more than just the financial side of it and the glitz and glamour," he said. "It's a genuine passion and if you don't have it you are going to get found out. For guys who have done that and had a taste of it (international cricket), then will they get tempted? I don't think so, I think they'll have genuine desires to fulfil their career, to make sure they get every bit out of their international career as possible." Gilchrist said the lucrative Twenty20 tournament could be an excellent transition into retirement for an ageing player. "There's probably been, since the real professional age has come in, maybe there's been a tendency for guys to hang on too long and we don't see younger guys getting in as young as they used to," he said. "So it might be an evening out process, now there's something for the older guys to move in to. That Twenty20 format is just entertainment, I don't see that as a cricket career." "It's part of a greater cricket career but that segment is entertainment now and I think everyone identifies that." -------------------------- I suppose I agree with him. Also: CA at loggerheads with IPL Although Australia's stars are keen to take part in the inaugural IPL, scheduled to start in April, the keeper-batsman doubts the Twenty20 tournament will encroach on international cricket and threaten the game's wellbeing. "I understand the fear of that happening, (but) I just really believe what motivates players to take on the journey, you have got to take and endure and enjoy to play for your country, it comes from more than just the financial side of it," Gilchrist said. "It is a genuine passion, if you don't have it you are going to get found out. "I think they will have genuine desires to fulfil their career, to make sure they get every bit out of their international careers as possible." While participating players will earn big in the multi-million dollar league, Gilchrist expected IPL to have an entertainment focus. That would suit recently-retired or departing players, and possibly make room for others in the international game. "We see players at my age (36), there is going to be a natural transition from international cricket," he said. "Probably when the real professional era has kicked in there has been a bit of a tendency for guys to hang on too long, and we don't see younger guys getting in as young as we used to. "It might be the evening out process that there is something for the older guys to move into." Australian players are yet to be assured of participating in IPL because of a sponsorship row and ongoing talks between the Indian and Australian boards. Cricket Australia (CA), which does not want its players endorsing sponsors in the IPL which would compete with its own sponsors, admits it is concerned its players might not take part due to India's hard-line stance. The IPL is adamant it will not provide protection for any sponsors, and chairman Lalit Modi has reportedly given Australia's players until Sunday to sign or face a three-year ban. More than 80 players from across the world will be auctioned off to the eight IPL franchises on Wednesday, and Australia's world champions are in high demand. "It's bloody hard work and a lot of midnight oil will need to be burned for it to work," CA spokesman Peter Young said. "We have got a lot of concerns, a lot needs to be done quickly before we can feel comfortable." However, Australian Cricketers' Association (ACA) chief executive Paul Marsh was hopeful parties could reach an agreement before the weekend. Gilchrist and retired trio Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath and Justin Langer are the only Australians likely to take part in the entire IPL campaign. Even with clearances, the only way Australia's Test players can compete this year is if their scheduled March-April tour of Pakistan is cancelled or postponed because of security concerns. CA and ACA officials will wait until after next week's general elections in Pakistan before they send a delegation to assess security there. CA chairman Creagh O'Connor has written to his Pakistan Cricket Board counterpart outlining "significant obstacles" standing in the way of Australia touring. But Young said CA was yet to rule out the tour, and was still hopeful its concerns could be resolved. Young said Pakistan's reported threat not to tour Australia in 2009 in retaliation was not related to the current uncertainty. If Pakistan were to boycott their tour next year, they could be heavily fined by the International Cricket Council. The only way member nations can avoid being fined for not fulfilling touring commitments is through legitimate security concerns or if they are advised not to by their governments, not by board-imposed boycotts.

Although all people are thinking of the IPL from a long term scheduling and a business point of view, it must be considered that with a limit of four overseas players per playing XI, there will be many Indians getting an opportunity at a high level of T20. This could very well be the start of an extremely beneficial tournament for T20 development in India. With T20 development also comes development of ODI skills too.