Wimbledon 2017

Cricketics

Cilic to me is playing brilliant Tennis and Sam gave him a more than decent fight today. Federer will be a different challenge for him but Cilic can surely upset him. I think Cilic will be a tough opponent even for Federer. Hoping for 19th slam for the master, the greatest.

I actually think Federer is the underdog going into this match.

Cilic has been playing some lights out tennis and I think he can play better.

He is an extremely good mover, has a great serve and an excellent return game, not to mention his wingspan.The only point where he can lose it is if he gets into a winning position and actually starts to think about the magnitude of the event.That very nearly happened with Djokovic in 2014.

Match is on Cilic's racquet , not Federer's.

Edited by Yoda-esque

Probably the player with best tools to beat Fedex in the finals. I am really nervous to see Cilic against my hero. I remember how he blasted Federer out of the court in the USO 2014 SF. Granted Federer had a weaker baseline game then and was exhausted after Clownfils sapped his energy in that epic 5 set QF, but still I had only seen him manhandled like that once before in his GS career, 2008 RG finals. When Cilic zones in, he is one of the toughest to deal with out there, kinda like Safin or Nalbandian. Very high playing peak level for him, but I don't see him play on Sunday the way he did in USO 2014. SW19 CC is not AA, shot making won't be as easy as there because grass is fundamentally different than HC. In HC Cilic can simply swing his arms and produce devastating ground strokes but here in Wimbledon the ball sometimes stops, skids, bounces unevenly, can be 2 paced etc. Cilic's movement on grass too isn't that great and he is a relatively poor volleyer. His serve and return though will be a big asset for him, especially his ROS. Last year a semi injured Fed on one leg sent Cilic home after being 0-2 down, one of the greatest chokes I have seen at that level. This year Fed is playing better, though I hope his cold becomes alright by Sunday. He needs to be at 100% on Sunday to win 19, he has spent 4.5 hours less than Cilic on the courts and has played all his matches on CC...huge advantage for the maestro there. Also his preparation for the finals is perfect, Raonic and Berdych are ideal opponents to prepare for Cilic. Hope he wins the 1st set because all tournament he has had a relatively poor 1st set. I predict Fed to win in 4 if he wins the 1st set but if he loses the 1st set it will be Fed in 5. Hope Cilic doesn't become for Fed what Stan is to Nole. 

Edited by Gollum

7 hours ago, zep1706 said:

At this rate Federer can win 25 slams. He's good enough to continue this for a few more years. There is zero sign of any physical slowdown, moving as fast as ever. 

Nah..

He will retire soon after the 20th.

He is currently in good shape but that doesn't been he will be for 3-4 years..

The last 5 years he has been in and out.

US open 2017 will be the best shot. Win it and wrap it up with a shot at defending Australian Open 2018 and wimbeldon 2018 while skipping french open. That will be his ideal course of action.

48 minutes ago, sourab10forever said:

Nah..

He will retire soon after the 20th.

He is currently in good shape but that doesn't been he will be for 3-4 years..

The last 5 years he has been in and out.

US open 2017 will be the best shot. Win it and wrap it up with a shot at defending Australian Open 2018 and wimbeldon 2018 while skipping french open. That will be his ideal course of action.

He has no plan of immediate retirement. I see him playing for another 3-4 years. With Djokovic's lack of form, and no threat from the young generation it's an open buffet for him. It's like we are back to the mid 2000s when Nadal won on clay and Federer everywhere else. Only Djokovic was stopping him from winning majors in the 20014-16 period, otherwise he would have won 3-4 more. He's probably in a better physical shape now than he was in his mid 20s. At that time he didn't have to work much on fitness, things came naturally to him. Now he is as fit as he can be.