Bollywood's most impactful films

zen

Before Sholay, Ganga Jamuna was path breaking showing villagers taking up arms against the establishment. Dilip Saab was top notch in that movie.

I don't rate Waqt, a very out-dated , while the formula of family breaking up and uniting in the end, the main plot of many MMD movies (Amar Akbar Anthony etc.), was invented by Wqt. 
AmaR Akbar Anthonys most fave scene?

Yes,the one where the 3 brothers are donating blood at the same time and the gravity defying blood ttavels upward and then down again to Nirupa Roy.

Great film though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Aamir would cringe today if he were to see Dil.That film promoted chhaprism and mavaalism:)

I had my timelines all mixed up. QSQT is indeed a year and a half before Dil.
The lyricist for the QSQT songs was 'Majruh' Sultanpuri. One of his last major works.

Between the two, I liked Dil more. The end of QSQT is very bleak. And there is this notion that exists that a love story has to be tragic to be a real story. Most Indian love stories, even in our folk-lore, have been romantic tragedies. 
Dil ends on a positive note and is therefore a lot more likable.

9 hours ago, Yoda-esque said:

AmaR Akbar Anthonys most fave scene?

Yes,the one where the 3 brothers are donating blood at the same time and the gravity defying blood ttavels upward and then down again to Nirupa Roy.

Great film though.

In the scene that you mention, the windows behind Amar Akbar Anthony had a mandir, a masjid and a church in that order. :phehe:

I also enjoyed AB's mirror dialogue and his rendition of the Benjamin Disraeli monologue before the song My name is Anthony Gonzalves.

Music too was so likable: Parda hai parda and Shirdi wale.

Lovely movie.

Actually, come to think of it, most of dilip kumars movies were quite influential. Truly one of, if not the greatest Indian actor. During the time of theatrical acting and over emoting , dilip Kumar carved a niche for himself with his natural, subtle acting. He didn't overact or over emphasize, his was purely methodical. He was an inspiration for the succeeding generations. Theres a saying  " before there was Marlon Brando there was Dilip Kumar". India's first method actor.

Although not as popular, I think Kaala Patthar deserves to be in there.

Cast: Amitabh, Shashi Kapoor, Parveen Babi, Mac, Neetu Singh, Shatrughan Sinha, Raakhee, Sanjeev Kumar.

Based on Chasnala mining disaster which bought forward the horrible working environment and hardships that the mine workers are subjected to by the management. 

Bollywood gamechangers:

• Awaara
  • Mughal-e-Azam
  • Waqt - 1st real multi-starrer iirc w/ lost and found theme 
  • Bobby
  • Deewar - The relatively negative angry young man character that AB played in many of his films 
Pardon me but Ek duje ke liye was much better movie than Bobby, with one of the most beautiful song tere mere beech main kaisa hai Ye Bandhan anjaana

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, vayuu1 said:

Pardon me but Ek duje ke liye was much better movie than Bobby, with one of the most beautiful song tere mere beech main kaisa hai Ye Bandhan anjaana

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

My  game changers list the films that impacted Bollywood (good, better and best can be on personal taste). Bobby changed the scope for "young" love stories, and when adjusted for inflation is among the biggest blockbusters .... Bobby's songs are still in demand 

Ek dujhe ke liya is good too but IMO not aged well in my opinion. Films like Betaab and Hero, that were released during that time, have aged relatively better. Have not seen Love Story recently but I suspect that it may have aged relatively well too 

Edited by zen

6 hours ago, zen said:

My  game changers list the films that impacted Bollywood (good, better and best can be on personal taste). Bobby changed the scope for "young" love stories, and when adjusted for inflation is among the biggest blockbusters .... Bobby's songs are still in demand 

Ek dujhe ke liya is good too but IMO not aged well in my opinion. Films like Betaab and Hero, that were released during that time, have aged relatively better. Have not seen Love Story recently but I suspect that it may have aged relatively well too 

EDKL was more real and hence looks outdated to today's sensibilities, but Betaab and Hero are fluffy superficial nonsense will not look dated because of it.

Swades was a mastepiece which was even liked by people from overseas. I think Ashutosh Gowariker deserves a tip of the hat for the effort he put into this movie as it had some brilliant scenes. I felt SRK was brilliant in this movie, one of his best efforts.  AR Rahman’s music was again top notch too and together the combination deserves special mentiona and this movie surely deserves a mention in the Bollywood’s Hall of fame. 

2 most impactful films that  had an impact on Hollywood movies are regional films

ET was inspired by a Satyajit Ray movie

The whole anime sequence in Kill Bill showing Oren Ishi (Lucy Lui character. That’s what I think it was called) was inspired by a Tamil movie starring Kamal Hassan where same technique was used to show the characters troubled past. Forgot the name of the movie though.

Bollywood music has had an impact at times though like Chayya Chayya used inside man and Chamma Chamma in Moulin Rouge 

12 hours ago, Global.Baba said:

The whole anime sequence in Kill Bill showing Oren Ishi (Lucy Lui character. That’s what I think it was called) was inspired by a Tamil movie starring Kamal Hassan where same technique was used to show the characters troubled past. Forgot the name of the movie though.

abhay