Dhoni: when will the torture end???

maniac

2 minutes ago, MCcricket said:

Mahinder Singh TUK TUK, sad to see him bat like this. cannot place, connect just looks ugly for himself n team, but no one wants to read the writing on the wall for last three years

But his presence.......... :adore:

Never mind the fact that his presence is the reason why one of the best talent in years we have had has to wait on the sidelines.......

Don't think we are going to get someone like Dhoni anytime soon. Yes, Dhoni is fading but we first need our 4 and 6 settle down. Rahul needs to establish himself at 4. One of Pandey or Jadhav need to establish themselves and become dependable. Only then we can think about Dhoni. Right now, we are highly dependent on top 3. I will still play Rahul at 4. Sending pandya at 4 wasn't the best idea, tbh. Rahul should have batted at 4.

13 hours ago, maniac said:

Team is doing well is the point.....as a lower order hitter he is going to be a baggage against bigger teams as he has been. Define doing well???

True, team is doing well and so is he.

He was instrumental in two wins with his batting support.

As a batsman , he is doing fine.

As a wkt keeper,I feel he has regressed a bit.

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

Don't think we are going to get someone like Dhoni anytime soon. Yes, Dhoni is fading but we first need our 4 and 6 settle down. Rahul needs to establish himself at 4. One of Pandey or Jadhav need to establish themselves and become dependable. Only then we can think about Dhoni. Right now, we are highly dependent on top 3. I will still play Rahul at 4. Sending pandya at 4 wasn't the best idea, tbh. Rahul should have batted at 4.

I agree about sending pandya early i didnt like that also but not for rahul,i am not liking this idea of rahul at 4 , he so far has looked out of place

In so far as dhoni is concerned , i think player like dhoni is needed provided he doesnt try to play till last over in chases requiring high run rate,he needs to be more flexible with his approach.I think most of his critics have this apprehension about his batting abilities.I guess he thinks he can ace big chases by being silent partner to likes of pandya,jadhav etc  and be the hero in the end but that is not happening in big chases now.Having said all that i like him in the middle order for these chases,even in those two small chases i knew he wont get out and we will win till he is there

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

Same was said about Dhoni in tests. Many said even if he is not an excellent test batsman or keeper India would struggle to replace him. Saha was even ridiculed by a few. And see how Saha has improved tremendously in keeping and batting to an extent once given a chance. I bet we wouldn't miss dhoni in ODIs once he is dropped. Someone would replace him, take some time and who knows better than dhoni ever was.

Regarding a responsible batsman at lower order: Tell me how can someone learn taking responsibility when dhoni bats lower order.? If you know what I mean. While batting with dhoni batsman at the other end has to invariably take more risks. Remember most often than not his place in the team is on line. I don't think he can learn anything simply because he wouldn't be handled that responsibility.

I believe other method may work better. This method is to have inexperienced but potential players in lower order. They would lose a few matches and would realise early (nobody likes to lose) about learning to take responsibility. With dhoni in one end taking responsibility (read tuk tuking for own sake :laugh: ) other end would be too busy to learn anything.

6 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Same was said about Dhoni in tests. Many said even if he is not an excellent test batsman or keeper India would struggle to replace him. Saha was even ridiculed by a few. And see how Saha has improved tremendously in keeping and batting to an extent once given a chance. I bet we wouldn't miss dhoni in ODIs once he is dropped. Someone would replace him, take some time and who knows better than dhoni ever was.

Regarding a responsible batsman at lower order: Tell me how can someone learn taking responsibility when dhoni bats lower order.? If you know what I mean. While batting with dhoni batsman at the other end has to invariably take more risks. Remember most often than not his place in the team is on line. I don't think he can learn anything simply because he wouldn't be handled that responsibility.

I believe other method may work better. This method is to have inexperienced but potential players in lower order. They would lose a few matches and would realise early (nobody likes to lose) about learning to take responsibility. With dhoni in one end taking responsibility (read tuk tuking for own sake :laugh: ) other end would be too busy to learn anything.

When dhoni retired from tests, we had pujara, kohli, rahane already well established test players. Dhoni anyway was never indispensable as a test player or had the kind of impact he had in ODIs. Right now, we have a shallow middle order in LOIs. we need to fix that first.  Dhoni is part of that middle order but he isn't our biggest issue. Rahul, jadhav and pandey are. 

Edited by rkt.india
3 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

When dhoni retired from tests, we had pujara, kohli, rahane already well established test players. Dhoni anyway was never indispensable as a test player or had the kind of impact he had in ODIs. Right now, we have a shallow middle order in LOIs. we need to fix that first.  

And I think trial and error method is more suitable. Read last paragraph of my previous post. Why afraid of losing meaningless bilateral? Let the team be vulnerable. They would most likely learn a lot from losing.

Edited by Pollack
1 hour ago, Pollack said:

And I think trial and error method is more suitable. Read last paragraph of my previous post. Why afraid of losing meaningless bilateral? Let the team be vulnerable. They would most likely learn a lot from losing.

We are already doing trial and error with likes of Rahul, Jadhav, Pandey, Pandya. Let them settle first.