Sachin Tendulkar v Virat Kohli - who is better ODI batsman?

Who is better ODI batsman?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better ODI batsman?

7 minutes ago, mishra said:

:nervous: I am not into Bhakti thing. Give a damn about state. Dont judge players by his bat only. There is lot more than bat involved in a team.

If it was all bat, then Ganguli and Dhoni wouldnt have been so successfull.

Despite 1.3 billion populkation and 10 years of IPL, all we see is a chance for Yuvi making comeback and Pant/Nair/Rahul bringing waterbottles and kind of Shaw who gets MoS in very first test series sit out while MSD, DK,Rahane,Rayudhu being part of 11.

Who the hell replaces Kumble with Shashtri.

On 400 pitch we score 320 and then we cuss our bowlers. We are struggling against Windies at home. We were comprehensively beaten by Morgans side in England.

Give me one thing rosy, And i will clap for side. When Indian crowd in England booed MSD, There was a reason. Legitimate reason.

When Indian crowd in England booed Kohli, then too, There was a reason. Legitimate reason.

I think here we are talking about their batting credentials. I have never been a fan of virat captaincy . He is crap captain and don’t forget Sachin was booed also . I never forget that fanatic behaviour of Sachin fans in sarapova incident 

18 minutes ago, mishra said:

:nervous: I am not into Bhakti thing. Give a damn about state. Dont judge players by his bat only. There is lot more than bat involved in a team.

Despite 1.3 billion populkation and 10 years of IPL, all we see is a chance for Yuvi making comeback and Pant/Nair/Rahul bringing waterbottles and kind of Shaw who gets MoS in very first test series sit out while MSD, DK,Rahane,Rayudhu being part of 11.

On 400 pitch we score 320 and then we cuss our bowlers. We are struggling against Windies at home. We were comprehensively beaten by Morgans side in England.

Give me one thing rosy, And i will clap for side. When Indian crowd in England booed MSD, There was a reason. Legitimate reason.

When Indian crowd in England booed Kohli, then too, There was a reason. Legitimate reason.

How is Kohli less successful than either Ganguly or Dhoni as captain in any format.  forget it why are you mixing his captaincy to his batting credentials.

Just now, VT87 said:

I think here we are talking about their batting credentials. I have never been a fan of virat captaincy . He is crap captain and don’t forget Sachin was booed also . I never forget that fanatic behaviour of Sachin fans in sarapova incident 

Mallus are different level. When was Sachin booed by NRI's, for whoom, Cricket is only thing that keeps them going about India. They want to hold onto something Indian. They dont give up that easy on a player. Specially test match crowd. (MSD was booed in odis, Kohli was booed in test match)

If Sachin would have been booed, I can certainly say, it must be the classy crowd which used to throw bottles, or burn chair, swear at players and so on.

39 minutes ago, mishra said:

tendulkar had a big role in shastri replacing kumble :giggle:

17 hours ago, rtmohanlal said:

yes that is exactly the reason as to why  bowling avg: alone cannot be taken as a measure of greatness for bowlers.  earlier , if it was a <25 avg: , then it was greatness for bowlers.  Now that alone cannot be. Econ: has to carry a lot of weightage too to determine great ness.

Bowling averages have never been the sole determinant of greatness for ODI bowlers.

The main determinant of greatness for all players have been performances against tough opponents,  consistency and the impact that the player makes on the opposition.  He is one of the most feared players for the opponents for a considerable period of time.

Edited by express bowling
24 minutes ago, mishra said:

Mallus are different level. When was Sachin booed by NRI's, for whoom, Cricket is only thing that keeps them going about India. They want to hold onto something Indian. They dont give up that easy on a player. Specially test match crowd. (MSD was booed in odis, Kohli was booed in test match)

If Sachin would have been booed, I can certainly say, it must be the classy crowd which used to throw bottles, or burn chair, swear at players and so on.

Sachin was booed at Wankhede against eng .third test 19 March 2006 when he scored 1(34) run

On 10/25/2018 at 2:27 AM, Muloghonto said:

False. Sachin was in his own league too. 

If Ponting, Kallis, Hayden etc are in his league, then ABDV, Dhoni, etc are also in Kohli's league. 

Sachin, till his decline, averaged 48+ from 93-2010, in an era where everyone was averaging 42-43. Just like Kohli is averaging 59 in an era when everyone else is 51/52 or below.

today's bowling is poorer than in the time of Sachin. This does not make Kohli crappy in comparison to his contempories, it just makes his stats inflated in comparison to Sachin and everyone else from the 90s.

So you want to filter Sachin records to make him better? That applies to every single player. Take Pointing, Kallis, Hayden, they have similar peaks and overall averages. Thus, the point remains Sachin was never the standard and was one of the many batsmans of the group. In all, stats, the overall impact and differentiating himself from peers, Kohli stands out.

Here, Kolhi is dominating the game, there is no player close to him. His peak form is extraordinary, look how he got from 9000 to 10000 runs. Kohli is the standard of excellence. You may talk about poor bowling now, but yet, no player close to him. It's a very weak argument that today's runs are worth less than yesterday times.

17 minutes ago, someone said:

So you want to filter Sachin records to make him better? That applies to every single player.

No, those are seperate points. Sachin was just as much ahead of his contemporaries as Virat is of his. Sachin faced superior bowling on harder pitches in general, which is why he is better for me. 

Take Pointing, Kallis, Hayden, they have similar peaks and overall averages. Thus, the point remains Sachin was never the standard and was one of the many batsmans of the group. In all, stats, the overall impact and differentiating himself from peers, Kohli stands out.

Pfft. Sachin *WAS* the standard. This is why even Lara is on record saying Sachin is the best and nobody got called the best by his peers as much as Sachin did. 

Here, Kolhi is dominating the game, there is no player close to him. His peak form is extraordinary, look how he got from 9000 to 10000 runs. Kohli is the standard of excellence. You may talk about poor bowling now, but yet, no player close to him. It's a very weak argument that today's runs are worth less than yesterday times.

Well as i said, ABDV/Dhoni are just about as close to Kohli as Sachin's competition was to him in his time. Even by late 90s, Sachin demonstrated his head-and-shoulder superiority in ODIs to any other batsmen already. 

It is not a weak argument, it is there in the stats itself. If in the same # of balls, today's scores are much higher, then it direclty means its easier to score runs today, aka the runs are weaker.

28 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

No, those are seperate points. Sachin was just as much ahead of his contemporaries as Virat is of his. Sachin faced superior bowling on harder pitches in general, which is why he is better for me. 

Pfft. Sachin *WAS* the standard. This is why even Lara is on record saying Sachin is the best and nobody got called the best by his peers as much as Sachin did. 

Well as i said, ABDV/Dhoni are just about as close to Kohli as Sachin's competition was to him in his time. Even by late 90s, Sachin demonstrated his head-and-shoulder superiority in ODIs to any other batsmen already. 

It is not a weak argument, it is there in the stats itself. If in the same # of balls, today's scores are much higher, then it direclty means its easier to score runs today, aka the runs are weaker.

These are tons of players whom have called other names as the best, so your Lara example is plain BS. Look, Sachin was the best player , that's the point we agree. But with Kohli, Sachin no longer be seen as the best player in this format. Someday, another player will come and destroy Kohli's record, and rightly claim to be the best player of the format and we can't be sentimental about it.

You still can't answer, why nobody is in Kohli's league? While there are tons of players like Ponting, Kallis, Hayden, Sarwan, Sanga who all have similar average as Sachin. This superiority bowling is plain nonsense, it's like how old people think their lives was tougher back then while the younger get it easy. So you foolishly think of past as superior bowling, so no one can ever be regarded today as the better batsman is plain nonsense.

I can’t say about odi but test are more tougher than past .i have been watching cricket since 1996 but now days teams are preparing more hostile pitches than  90’s Asian team  giving rank turner more often than not foreign teams giving green mamba’s to Asian teams .i would say facing Anderson and broad in eng condition are as much tough as Sachin facing any bowling attack in his time .sachin never dominate Anderson (even in India) but virat dominate Anderson and broad back to back in two series.