Sachin Tendulkar v Virat Kohli - who is better ODI batsman?

Who is better ODI batsman?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better ODI batsman?

6 hours ago, Vijy said:

Probably the CB triseries in Aus, where he scored 117 and 91 in the 2 finals. Can think of a few others off the top of my head but not in the same league.

Cb series ? Gambhir was the Highest scorer of CB series with 40+ runs margin to sachin and Praveen kumar was Man of the match for second Final.

18 hours ago, Shunya said:

Sachin sucked badly when he was captain. Wonder what changed?

Virat Kohli is miles ahead on handling the pressure and leading from the front.

Overall figures
Player Span Mat Inns NO RunsDescending HS Ave BF SR 100 50 0  
MS Dhoni 2007-2016 199 171 48 6633 139* 53.92 7686 86.29 6 47 3 investigate this query
M Azharuddin 1990-1999 174 162 29 5239 153* 39.39 6677 78.46 4 37 6 investigate this query
SC Ganguly 1999-2005 146 142 11 5082 144 38.79 6658 76.32 11 30 9 investigate this query
V Kohli 2013-2018 48 45 11 2739 160* 80.55 2792 98.10 12 11 2 investigate this query
R Dravid 2000-2007 79 75 12 2658 105 42.19 3524 75.42 2 25 4 investigate this query
SR Tendulkar 1996-2000 73 70 5 2454 186* 37.75 2939 83.49 6 12 4 investigate this query

The thing is Virat has many players to help him in his on-field captaincy: Dhoni, Rohit, Rahane, etc. When he doesn't have them to guide him, his captaincy becomes exposed like what happened in RCB.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8048/scorecard/419165/chennai-super-kings-vs-mumbai-indians-final-ipl-2009-10/

29 minutes ago, Number said:

Your team will lose finals like CSK/RPS coz not every time there will be a Parera to bash. :wp6:

Atleast his Team won 2 x finals when choker was captain of MI.. 48(45) :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: He was 12th man for CSK in finals. Another day another choke

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8048/scorecard/419165/chennai-super-kings-vs-mumbai-indians-final-ipl-2009-10/

33 minutes ago, Rasgulla said:

Yeah we know when srini used to run the show.

We all saw when Johnson was on rampage Dhoni used to hide in gutter behind Raina Saha Jakati Sakshi.

16 minutes ago, Number said:

Yeah we know when srini used to run the show.

We all saw when Johnson was on rampage Dhoni used to hide in gutter behind Raina Saha Jakati Sakshi.

:cantstop: So you are saying srini bought sachin ??? Is that what you are trying to say ??? Serious allegations.. 48(45) in finals MTC

Steyn knows what's up... Johnson who?? :hysterical: 

Edited by Rasgulla

only in India, Sachin can be reviled instead of revered! Keep going, and while we are at it, disown all his contributions. In fact give PR rights to Pakistan that they can use Sachin as their player..

VK is one of the greatest and Sachin was the first great from India. All Sachin fans on this forum will be ecstatic when Kohli breaks all his records.

When Sachin came on to the scene, India was used to being bullied by bowlers around the world. That changed with SRT.. now no one expects India to fold when there are 4 fast bowlers trying to break your spirits and bones. I watched the end of Kapil Dev and the beginning of  SRT era. I saw Ravi Shastri winning the Champion of Champions Audi and then saw him become the snail in his later years.

Now coming to this useless debate.. Fandom is always based on emotion and not on hard numbers. Who ever inspires you and brings you joy, is the player you want to follow. For me, it will always be Yuvi.. the most passionate fighter I have ever seen. Those eyes still give me goose-bumps!  I will not try to convince a Dhoni fan or a Virat fan or a Imran fan to change their loyalties, but am sure all true fans of cricket enjoy Virat as much as did Sachin in his prime!  

14 minutes ago, UnknownGenius said:

Why is this thread open? It's a very one sided thread

No matter which way you look at it. Virat is the superior ODI batsman than Sachin. Better average, better strike rate and to me the most important, many more match winning innings

In fact, I'd go one step furhter and say MSD is also above Sachin as an ODI batsman for the same reasons as above

Besides longevity, Sachin has zero case whatsoever as being better than Kohli or MSD in ODI's.

Match winning innings >>>>>>>>>>>>longevity

A big fan of the "A lie repeated a thousand times becomes a truth" rule, are you? :phehe:

4a10e0d5-e526-4c7c-a9e4-82e5fd64bad8.png

LINK

3 hours ago, UnknownGenius said:

Why is this thread open? It's a very one sided thread

No matter which way you look at it. Virat is the superior ODI batsman than Sachin. Better average, better strike rate and to me the most important, many more match winning innings

In fact, I'd go one step furhter and say MSD is also above Sachin as an ODI batsman for the same reasons as above

Besides longevity, Sachin has zero case whatsoever as being better than Kohli or MSD in ODI's.

Match winning innings >>>>>>>>>>>>longevity

Well said... Virat owning sachin as usual :cantstop:

He is the biggest match winner in all 3 formats..

Virat - 164 matches 8 Man of the series ( will be 9 after RSA series ) 

Sachin - 243 matches 8 Man of the series 

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Screenshot_20180215_172810.png

18 hours ago, Unstable Joe said:

The thing is Virat has many players to help him in his on-field captaincy: Dhoni, Rohit, Rahane, etc. When he doesn't have them to guide him, his captaincy becomes exposed like what happened in RCB.

This is not about Virat's captaincy.

Its about his primary role as batsman which he takes one notch up when he is captaining. How to lift his batting when his ass is on line is something that is completely in batsman's control. Sachin could not do that as good as Kohli or even Dhoni as evident from the stats. His batting was better when he had no pressure to lead from the front.

33 minutes ago, Shunya said:

This is not about Virat's captaincy.

Its about his primary role as batsman which he takes one notch up when he is captaining. How to lift his batting when his ass is on line is something that is completely in batsman's control. Sachin could not do that as good as Kohli or even Dhoni as evident from the stats. His batting was better when he had no pressure to lead from the front.

The pressure of expectations from various factors is much tougher to control while at crease than 'captaincy' pressure.And in Sachin's case  he had to cope with  additional  pressure of captaincy too.What happend to 'the chaser of mammoth totals' Kohli in the champions trophy finals? Similarly in that semi final against AUS in 2015 world cup??? Couldn't control his mind in the initial stages while at the crease during those chases.Isn't it? If Kohli couldn't control his mind just for a few  minutes during these  chases where people expected 'more than normal' from him, then it can be assumed as to what sort of pressure Sachin had to deal with all thru his career.That is why I still have my reservations with regard to Kohli.He needs to perform lot more in world cups, especially  1 or 2 big knock out inns while chasing.

5 hours ago, rtmohanlal said:

The pressure of expectations from various factors is much tougher to control while at crease than 'captaincy' pressure.And in Sachin's case  he had to cope with  additional  pressure of captaincy too.What happend to 'the chaser of mammoth totals' Kohli in the champions trophy finals? Similarly in that semi final against AUS in 2015 world cup??? Couldn't control his mind in the initial stages while at the crease during those chases.Isn't it? If Kohli couldn't control his mind just for a few  minutes during these  chases where people expected 'more than normal' from him, then it can be assumed as to what sort of pressure Sachin had to deal with all thru his career.That is why I still have my reservations with regard to Kohli.He needs to perform lot more in world cups, especially  1 or 2 big knock out inns while chasing.

If you are going to pick on those 2 innings.. Even we can point out 2003 WC final and 2011 WC final choke . So Virat doesn't have any captaincy pressure.. Only sachin does ? Atleast he didn't cost us match for his personal milestone against minnows like sachin did :facepalm:He was the highest scorer in CT2013 Finals so yes he has delivered when it matters...

Edited by Rasgulla