Sachin Tendulkar v Virat Kohli - who is better ODI batsman?

Who is better ODI batsman?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better ODI batsman?

As far as meaningless runs/records are concerned Kohli is already the GOAT. But when something big is on the line he has yet to prove he is better than Dhawan. 19 year old Sachin was better at this than any version of Kohli LOL. Things may change after some time but numbers don't lie, Kohli is a beast in Cycle Agarbathi and Hajmola matches, absolute dud in WCs and tournament finals. 

Strictly talking about ODI here.

Edited by Gollum
2 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

true, Sachin numbers in WCs are superb. Virat needs to ace this cup to get the numero uno status

Competition for numero uno is King Viv. No one set himself apart from peers like him, average 47, SR 90+ in an era where 4 rpo was considered good. A trailblazer like Greenidge (Sehwag of his era) had SR 65, Srikanth 72 and someone who had similar SR (Kapil) averaged less than half of Viv. I remember a cricinfo article a couple of years ago about comparing ODI batsmen across eras and while focusing on ABDV the stats said he needed 60/120 type numbers to match the King, after adjusting for cross era comparison. Kohli may get his average close to 60 and who knows maybe even maintain it till retirement but can he do it at 120 SR? Just like how Don is the golden standard in tests, Viv is in ODIs. 

17 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Competition for numero uno is King Viv. No one set himself apart from peers like him, average 47, SR 90+ in an era where 4 rpo was considered good. A trailblazer like Greenidge (Sehwag of his era) had SR 65, Srikanth 72 and someone who had similar SR (Kapil) averaged less than half of Viv. I remember a cricinfo article a couple of years ago about comparing ODI batsmen across eras and while focusing on ABDV the stats said he needed 60/120 type numbers to match the King, after adjusting for cross era comparison. Kohli may get his average close to 60 and who knows maybe even maintain it till retirement but can he do it at 120 SR? Just like how Don is the golden standard in tests, Viv is in ODIs. 

There is no need for Kohli to bat with 120 SR to prove that he is greater than Richards. In fact it is foolishness  to think that Richards  would have had 120 SR today.  To achieve  120 SR you have to take much more risks and that would result  in lower averages. Kohli  just needs a good WC performance. He has surpassed  Richards  in every area barring WC. 

28 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Outlier of his era doesn't make him greater than present greats.

49 minutes ago, Anoop K said:

There is no need for Kohli to bat with 120 SR to prove that he is greater than Richards. In fact it is foolishness  to think that Richards  would have had 120 SR today.  To achieve  120 SR you have to take much more risks and that would result  in lower averages. Kohli  just needs a good WC performance. He has surpassed  Richards  in every area barring WC. 

42 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Outlier of his era doesn't make him greater than present greats.

My fault I digressed. Let us stick to Kohli vs Sachin here.

There's a separate thread for Kohli vs Viv, feel free to go through that and add your inputs

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

I was talking about in context of Indian cricket only,however I agree with rkt, being the best in your era doesnt make you the greatest. 

Edited by SK_IH
1 minute ago, Gollum said:

@Real McCoy Now I have seen it all. Ball banged mid pitch and bouncing, Bendulkar goes for a back foot drive and still prostrates creating a scene, Oscar level acting :adore:

BQ7uCN.gif

Must be his aching back and tennis elbow :phehe:. Other people especially the bowlers don't have injuries. @Gollum you are an infidel bro :nono: Accept him as the true savior. You need to show some class for Vadapavji :laugh:

3 hours ago, Gollum said:

@Real McCoy Now I have seen it all. Ball banged mid pitch and bouncing, Bendulkar goes for a back foot drive and still prostrates creating a scene, Oscar level acting :adore:

BQ7uCN.gif

Jokes aside, 121/9, second inning. Ball not bouncing enough and is taking inside edge. Is there a scorecard of this match. I want to see how others batted.

Edited by mishra
5 hours ago, Gollum said:

Zaheer Abbas averaged 47 plus with 85 strike rate.He scored 7 100s in 62 matches compared to 11 100s in 180 plus matches for Viv in same Era. I don't think Viv would be as consistent as Kohli in this era. Nobody in history is as consistent as Kohli . 

48 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Zaheer Abbas averaged 47 plus with 85 strike rate.He scored 7 100s in 62 matches compared to 11 100s in 180 plus matches for Viv in same Era. I don't think Viv would be as consistent as Kohli in this era. Nobody in history is as consistent as Kohli . 

Abbas didn't play much, stats skewed by bullying India/Lanka. Didn't have the same impact. Still a legend, the 2nd best ODI bat of pre-90s era.

Batting in ODIs is super easy now, Gupill may seem like a better bat than Crowe...got to look beyond numbers. Anyway there is a separate thread for this Kohli-Viv comparison.