Ishan Porel - new fast bowler from India (just 19 year old)

rkt.india

3 hours ago, express bowling said:

In a televised U19 domestic game, Porel was bowling 130 k to 140 k

In the first game of this tournament, he was bowling 134 k to 136 k, before he twisted his ankle and could not bowl in that match and the next 2.

After return from injury, he is bowling in the 120s.

If fully fit ,  I think he is a 130 k to 140 k pacer now with steep bounce.  But he is just 19 ... may become a 135 k to 145 k pacer in the next few years if he puts in the effort.

Not sure if he can be 145. Didnt give me the confidence. Doesnt look like someone who's naturally quick or even nippy.

28 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

Not sure if he can be 145. Didnt give me the confidence. Doesnt look like someone who's naturally quick or even nippy.

He was bowling much quicker in a televised Ranji matches when he was fit.  Making batsmen jump repeatedly and hit them on the helmet too.

He is injured now and bowling slower.

didn't look especially quick today, I felt a lot of his wickets came in this game as he was perceived as the weak link (slowest bowler) and Pak players were more confident to go after him, even when the shot wasn't there as they know they wouldn't be able to make it up against Mavi and Nagarkoti. Although I do think he has the capacity to improve. Would be nice to see where he ends up in 2-3 years time. 

11 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

didn't look especially quick today, I felt a lot of his wickets came in this game as he was perceived as the weak link (slowest bowler) and Pak players were more confident to go after him, even when the shot wasn't there as they know they wouldn't be able to make it up against Mavi and Nagarkoti. Although I do think he has the capacity to improve. Would be nice to see where he ends up in 2-3 years time. 

you must be naive to think that a bowler who was about to miss the WC due to injury would go full tilt when he is getting the results without that.  He had probably thought his WC dream is over.  

Credit is also due to Dravid. Imagine how disheartening it would have been for Porel if he had been sent home after the injury. I also feel he could have been kept on a bit longer, or brought back to close out the tail. As it was, taking him off after he took the first four wickets had a bit of a weekend amateur/social club game feel, as though the others were being given the chance to have a bowl too. Not bringing him back to have a shot at the tail -- and get a 5 wicket haul in the process -- was like the 50 year old club captain/secretary giving the young one a subtle telling off for unnecessarily bullying the opposition and killing the contest too early. The batting equivalent would be retiring a batsman for scoring too many/too quickly.

6 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

you must be naive to think that a bowler who was about to miss the WC due to injury would go full tilt when he is getting the results without that.  He had probably thought his WC dream is over.  

need to read meaning of posts properly before resorting to rudeness. I just provided an accurate summary of where he is at currently, I said he may improve pace in the future (which doesn't contradict the line of  him holding back due to being post injury).