Ishan Porel - new fast bowler from India (just 19 year old)

rkt.india

5 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

He was bowling with dinda and Kanishk who bowls 135. Dinda hits 135+ too. None of those two made Batsmen hope around. He looked quicker than even Lalit who bowled as quick as Umesh in the Ranji game they played together. He hit a set Batsman on the helmet twice, got retired hurt. He is full deliveries will be around 140 but short ones are certainly 90 mph plus. This is the quickest I have seen an indian bowler bowl this domestic season and I saw Umesh Yadav bowl too for Vidarbha. Found Ishan quicker.

Lalit was not as fast as Umesh. Dinda bowls 125kph in domestics. Ishan maybe fast but I'd reckon around high 130s to early 140s kph at most not really 150kph

8 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I like hostile fast bowlers. They put the fear of injury in the minds of opposition batters and help their team gain psychological advantage unless they are spray-guns. 

Srinath was such a quick for around 8 years in the '90s.

Munaf for a couple of years in the mid 2000s.

Aaron, when he gets a chance 

and  Md. Shami among our current quicks.

Ishan Porel may continue this legacy. Other uncapped contenders are Avesh Khan and  Kulwant Khejroliya.

Fast bowling in the pre-speedgun days was all about hostility .... no-one knew what speeds they bowled at but fast bowlers were those who were physically feared by batters.

what happened to that rajasthan guy?? He should be there in the list too

4 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Don't get hype for Munaf. Fastest he bowled was 145 which Nehra, Zak, Agarkar all had bowled multiple times.

Not talking necessarily about very high release speeds .... but about hostility  which results from ..... steep bounce + zip off the deck  +  wanting to bowl short and at the batsman's body + sufficient accuracy with the shorter balls  + good pace.

14 minutes ago, chapetmarunga said:

Lalit was not as fast as Umesh. Dinda bowls 125kph in domestics. Ishan maybe fast but I'd reckon around high 130s to early 140s kph at most not really 150kph

Yes Lalit was. Check comments on Ranji thread. We were watching that game live and didn't find much difference pace of both. Even if not as quick as Umesh, Lalit still hits 140kph and Porel looked quicker than him visibly.

38 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Cummins was clocked 150 at 17, Ishant 152 at 19, Overton 150 at 19. Ishan is supposedly an express bowler. Ganguly had special words about him.

But to be honest, whatever little of insta videos I have seen of shivam mavi , he looks faster than ishan 

2 minutes ago, speedheat said:

But to be honest, whatever little of insta videos I have seen of shivam mavi , he looks faster than ishan 

Not really. Show me one bouncer like Porel. Porel's bouncers are distinctly quicker. Probably one of the quickest from any Indian bowler.

In a way, it is good that there were no speed guns in the Ranji games

Domestic speed-guns give lower readings and people get wrong impressions.

Shardul struggles to cross 140 k in domestic games but touched 147 k on India debut and 145 k in the IPL.

Umesh bowled upto 141 k in the Duleep Trophy in 2011 but touched 148 k on India debut same year.

etc.  etc.

Edited by express bowling
29 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Not sure about 150k but this shud be around 145k.

But there is something awkward in his follow through

I thought I noticed it too, but it's not just the follow through.  If you freeze it at around the 27 and 28 seconds mark in the video you quoted, and play it a few times, his head has dipped and he seems to be looking down at the pitch as he moves in to deliver the ball. 

Is it because he's bowling the effort ball?  Dunno.  IMO it's very unusual, not something I have witnessed before in another bowler, but I'm no expert. Maybe many of 'em do it. 

But I do think that if a batsman decided to do something different (step up, step back etc) when Porel's at this stage in his delivery, it will be very hard for Porel to react and change what he's bowling. 

Edited by NameGoesHere