Sachin Tendulkar v Virat Kohli in Tests

Virat Kohli is a very good batsman. But strictly talking tests kohli cannot even tie Sachin's shoelace. But I like how Kohli played some innings where he went for the win on the 5th day of the test match rather than playing scared although he still ended up unsuccessful. Full marks for attitude and never say die spirit. Sachin could never have this attitude.Sachin did inspired a many but he didn't revolutionize Indian cricket in the way it is played. Even Sehwag revolutionized how to open and treat spinners like dirt.:cantstop: kohli obviously highlighted the importance of going for the win and fitness.

42 minutes ago, Rantzz said:

Kohli still beats Sachin in terms of impactful match winning innings and sustained level of success. We will never see Kohli playing for his double century or other personal milestones and then throw a fit when captain declares for benefit of the team

Tu phir wahi raag le kar alaap raha hai? And how did Kohli sustain level of success longer than Sachin, kuch bhi

When did sachin throw a fit? He was asked by a reporter and he said he was surprised as dravid had said he will declared after X overs but he declared before

Looks like Sachin stole your dog one day

12 hours ago, Pollack said:

Virat Kohli is a very good batsman. But strictly talking tests kohli cannot even tie Sachin's shoelace. But I like how Kohli played some innings where he went for the win on the 5th day of the test match rather than playing scared although he still ended up unsuccessful. Full marks for attitude and never say die spirit. Sachin could never have this attitude.Sachin did inspired a many but he didn't revolutionize Indian cricket in the way it is played. Even Sehwag revolutionized how to open and treat spinners like dirt.:cantstop: kohli obviously highlighted the importance of going for the win and fitness.

I think the Chennai test where everyone collapsed after Sachin got out at 136, affected him mentally. He cried in the bathroom that day and since that innings he was always trying to be more conservative in all formats ads if he couldnt trust others

On 8/5/2018 at 2:48 AM, rkt.india said:

Sunny G could demolish attacks.  Even he would laugh at this claim by you.  :cantstop:

Well we can talk about destroying attacks - means different things in different contexts like facing John Snow without a helmet is different than facing Anderson while wearing enough protection to make a medieval knight happy. Or topscoring 101(run out) and 58 at Manchester defeat in 1st test in the disaster tour of 1974 against Willis, Chris Old, Hendricks and Underwood or 100 in 94 balls vs Marshall and Holding - or century in both innings at Karachi in 1978 vs Imran/Sarfraz and Pak umpires.

I will just leave you with this fact here are Sunny vs Kohli overall and outside India

Sunny total                   125 matches 10122 runs 51.12 Ave 34 hundreds

Sunil outside  India       60 matches   5055 runs  52.11 Ave 18 hundreds

Kohli total                     97 matches    7801 runs  50.65 Ave  27 hundreds

Kohli outside India        52 matches    3978 runs  43.23 Ave  14 hundreds

Not bad from Sunil - although he gets very little respect nowadays - even compared with the great Virat Kohli.

BTW the protection these days matters a lot. If Pujara had worn the ball with the 1970's gear at the Gabba... he would be in the hospital. If Sachin struck on the head by Shoaib was not wearing a helmet... he would be ..... Sunny and Viv did not have or chose not to use the stuff.

^ Assumption that helmet makes it easy to bat is absolutely incorrect. Its safer but makes it harder. How many times top bats are hit on helmet? And how many times bowlers have managed to hit on helmet of some tall bat of Vivs size. Lara Tendulkar and all hasn’t been hit more then once (iirc). So I believe its safety first thats the reason why bats are using helmet despite  negative impact of it on batting. Even a lot of modern day bats take helmet out wherever possible.

Edited by mishra
1 hour ago, mishra said:

^ Assumption that helmet makes it easy to bat is absolutely incorrect. Its safer but makes it harder. How many times top bats are hit on helmet? And how many times bowlers have managed to hit on helmet of some tall bat of Vivs size. Lara Tendulkar and all hasn’t been hit more then once (iirc). So I believe its safety first thats the reason why bats are using helmet despite  negative impact of it on batting. Even a lot of modern day bats take helmet out wherever possible.

I don't know about this - Before helmets one Indian batsman after having been hit by Richard Hadlee could not play pace bowling well. Then came the helmets and he became a pretty good batsman against pace. Guess who?

Before helmets you simply could not risk positions due to the chance of getting hit. That changed with helmets.

8 minutes ago, AKane said:

I don't know about this - Before helmets one Indian batsman after having been hit by Richard Hadlee could not play pace bowling well. Then came the helmets and he became a pretty good batsman against pace. Guess who?

Before helmets you simply could not risk positions due to the chance of getting hit. That changed with helmets.

Who? I do not know a bowler ended some bats career in that era. As far as i am aware every bat great not great, m didn’t used to bat with helmet. Even in modern age, bats don’t use helmet to get leg byes.

1 hour ago, mishra said:

Who? I do not know a bowler ended some bats career in that era. As far as i am aware every bat great not great, m didn’t used to bat with helmet. Even in modern age, bats don’t use helmet to get leg byes.

I am not talking ending career but two phases of it.

Mohinder Amarnath was fearless against pace - but he got hit often and Hadlee hurt his skull badly. His career had two parts. 

1969-79  and 1982-retirement.

He was always fearless but the second part using helmets(avg 47+) he batted much better than the first part without helmets (average 34+).....Its not that he changed his hooking style, he was always gutsy... but the helmets helped somehow.

On 12/7/2021 at 3:04 AM, Sunil_narine024 said:

Sachin and Kallis averaged high even in the 90s, Lara was good too. Rahul Dravid piled most of his runs on flatbeds 2002-2008, maybe Ponting too. But emotional fans will not except it.

Dravid was a 50 averaging batsman all throughout 96-99 thou he would fail against out and out world class pace bowling except against Shoaib akthar and Anderson/broad in 2011, I feel dravid gets massively overrated, even at home he never dominated aus or even sa, his best series against pace bowling was west Indies in 1997, did well against Ambrose, king, Walsh, mervin dhillon.

On 12/9/2021 at 9:02 PM, New guy said:

Tu phir wahi raag le kar alaap raha hai? And how did Kohli sustain level of success longer than Sachin, kuch bhi

When did sachin throw a fit? He was asked by a reporter and he said he was surprised as dravid had said he will declared after X overs but he declared before

Looks like Sachin stole your dog one day

dude you still cry and moan till this day about Dravid declaring so stop attacking a guy who is stating facts

Even if kohli retired today he is a bigger match winner than sachin anydayyy!

8 hours ago, Nikola said:

I was reading post on other forum and found out that asif compared kohli & sachin (& even babar). Not fan of that fixer but as bowler he was pretty good to find loopholes in batsman's technique. Here is part of the video.

What's the logic. Is he saying top hand dominant players are always better than bottom handed ones.

33 minutes ago, Chakdephatte said:

What's the logic. Is he saying top hand dominant players are always better than bottom handed ones.

Can't say much about these kind of things that's reason i posted here so someone who understands can explain it in more detail.

On 12/11/2021 at 12:31 AM, Mesky99 said:

Dravid was a 50 averaging batsman all throughout 96-99 thou he would fail against out and out world class pace bowling except against Shoaib akthar and Anderson/broad in 2011, I feel dravid gets massively overrated, even at home he never dominated aus or even sa, his best series against pace bowling was west Indies in 1997, did well against Ambrose, king, Walsh, mervin dhillon.

Everybody is overrated using a weird yardstick. In Zimbabwe India was struggling big time against Streak/Olonga/Neil Johnson. Only guy who stood up was Dravid. Still that was not enough. We lost the test.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/india-tour-of-zimbabwe-1998-99-62306/zimbabwe-vs-india-only-test-63813/full-scorecard

Same way at Kingsmead ball swinging like banana for Donald. India got shot out for 100 & 66. Only guy who could survive there in the 2nd innings was Dravid with 27 not out.

Then that twin fifties on an unplayable West Indian pitch. twin centuries at the Eden Gardens when India was back to the wall,  2001 test vs Australia, Adelaide Test,  Rawal pindi test.  Then that Leeds Test century. He was made to open, play at 6, play at 3.  By far the best player against swing bowling India has seen.

42 minutes ago, Nikola said:

Can't say much about these kind of things that's reason i posted here so someone who understands can explain it in more detail.

SRT had a dominant bottom hand. Gilly was a top handed player. In fact most players have a dominant bottom hand - that doesn't mean that they grip the bat too tightly like Kohli does at times, heck look at KL these days & how Kohli has fallen by the wayside!

Edited by R!TTER
On 12/10/2021 at 3:42 AM, AKane said:

Mohinder Amarnath was fearless against pace - but he got hit often and Hadlee hurt his skull badly. His career had two parts. 

He was always fearless but the second part using helmets(avg 47+) he batted much better than the first part without helmets (average 34+).....Its not that he changed his hooking style, he was always gutsy... but the helmets helped somehow.

It may be due to improvement in batting skill as well. Rohit first 80 odi 28 avg and later part more than 60 avg . Even in test overseas see his overseas avg before 2019 and now. Is it due to some protective gear he might have started using??

On 12/10/2021 at 3:42 AM, AKane said:

Correlation does not imply causation - Wikipedia