Sachin Tendulkar v Virat Kohli in Tests

8 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Everybody is overrated using a weird yardstick. In Zimbabwe India was struggling big time against Streak/Olonga/Neil Johnson. Only guy who stood up was Dravid. Still that was not enough. We lost the test.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/india-tour-of-zimbabwe-1998-99-62306/zimbabwe-vs-india-only-test-63813/full-scorecard

Same way at Kingsmead ball swinging like banana for Donald. India got shot out for 100 & 66. Only guy who could survive there in the 2nd innings was Dravid with 27 not out.

Then that twin fifties on an unplayable West Indian pitch. twin centuries at the Eden Gardens when India was back to the wall,  2001 test vs Australia, Adelaide Test,  Rawal pindi test.  Then that Leeds Test century. He was made to open, play at 6, play at 3.  By far the best player against swing bowling India has seen.

Sachin has many innings like that but they somehow "dont count" or is under rated

Just now, New guy said:

Sachin has many innings like that but they somehow "dont count" or is under rated

Certainly his 117 as a 17 year old was one of my favorite knock. He made 117 & 68. England surrounded him with 8 fielders? That draw is enough. That 136 at chepauk was a heart breaking one though. We were inches away from win. Also one of the personal regret of Sachin was India not being able to cross 120 to win the test vs Windies. Initially fans were frustrated. But over the course it was learnt many wickets the Windies took was of no balls and they were not called. Sachin did play his part in ths historic Kolkata test with ball. In 2000s India could have won a few more tests. Everyone has innings like that. But he was never called over-rated. But Dravid is. Hence it is our duty to show some of his valiant efforts.

1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

Certainly his 117 as a 17 year old was one of my favorite knock. He made 117 & 68. England surrounded him with 8 fielders? That draw is enough. That 136 at chepauk was a heart breaking one though. We were inches away from win. Also one of the personal regret of Sachin was India not being able to cross 120 to win the test vs Windies. Initially fans were frustrated. But over the course it was learnt many wickets the Windies took was of no balls and they were not called. Sachin did play his part in ths historic Kolkata test with ball. In 2000s India could have won a few more tests. Everyone has innings like that. But he was never called over-rated. But Dravid is. Hence it is our duty to show some of his valiant efforts.

Dravid should not be called overrated IMO. Our best ever No. 3 and an ATG - no question about that in my mind

2 hours ago, R!TTER said:

5 no balls, I've remembered it for nearly 20 years! The *ing fickle fans can go * themselves :whack2:

the age of home umpires was a joke those days. especially in pak in the 80s. I remember how amarnath and vengsarkar had to bat a whole day without even allowing balls to hit their pads. and WI umpires were pretty biased as well  - allowed a lot of pseudo-bodyline bowling in the 70s-90s.

5 hours ago, goose said:

the only thing worse than a never ending sachin vs kohli thread is one that no longer has anytihng to do with sachin vs kohli !

yes, let's make it into a bradman vs smith thread or headley vs lara vs richards thread. my vote is for bradman (despite him only facing trundlers) and for lara.

If we have to simplify the difference,  Two words. Back foot.  Kohli's front foot plonking game could not be sustained.  If Kohli had mastered this his record would have been closer to Smith's record. He does play. But does he play when has to all the time. No. More often than not he plays a shot on the frontfoot that should have been played off the backfoot.