Jump to content
Trichromatic

Sachin Tendulkar v Virat Kohli in Tests

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, Nikola said:

 

Can't say much about these kind of things that's reason i posted here so someone who understands can explain it in more detail.

SRT had a dominant bottom hand. Gilly was a top handed player. In fact most players have a dominant bottom hand - that doesn't mean that they grip the bat too tightly like Kohli does at times, heck look at KL these days & how Kohli has fallen by the wayside!

Edited by R!TTER
Link to post
On 12/10/2021 at 3:42 AM, AKane said:

 

I am not talking ending career but two phases of it.

 

Mohinder Amarnath was fearless against pace - but he got hit often and Hadlee hurt his skull badly. His career had two parts. 

1969-79  and 1982-retirement.

 

He was always fearless but the second part using helmets(avg 47+) he batted much better than the first part without helmets (average 34+).....Its not that he changed his hooking style, he was always gutsy... but the helmets helped somehow.

It may be due to improvement in batting skill as well. Rohit first 80 odi 28 avg and later part more than 60 avg . Even in test overseas see his overseas avg before 2019 and now. Is it due to some protective gear he might have started using??

Link to post
On 12/10/2021 at 3:42 AM, AKane said:

 

I am not talking ending career but two phases of it.

 

Mohinder Amarnath was fearless against pace - but he got hit often and Hadlee hurt his skull badly. His career had two parts. 

1969-79  and 1982-retirement.

 

He was always fearless but the second part using helmets(avg 47+) he batted much better than the first part without helmets (average 34+).....Its not that he changed his hooking style, he was always gutsy... but the helmets helped somehow.

 

Correlation does not imply causation - Wikipedia

Link to post
1 hour ago, raki05 said:

It may be due to improvement in batting skill as well. Rohit first 80 odi 28 avg and later part more than 60 avg . Even in test overseas see his overseas avg before 2019 and now. Is it due to some protective gear he might have started using??

 

There's no rhyme or reason to these things. Batsmen do figure out their game better with experience so even with a decline in reflexes etc, they'll stay as productive or even better themselves in the 2nd halves of their career. But it's of course not true for everyone.

 

The key is that us jobless forummers can come up with any bogus argument and start hammering others who don't agree. With wikipedia links.

Link to post
8 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

 

Everybody is overrated using a weird yardstick. In Zimbabwe India was struggling big time against Streak/Olonga/Neil Johnson. Only guy who stood up was Dravid. Still that was not enough. We lost the test.

 

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/india-tour-of-zimbabwe-1998-99-62306/zimbabwe-vs-india-only-test-63813/full-scorecard

 

Same way at Kingsmead ball swinging like banana for Donald. India got shot out for 100 & 66. Only guy who could survive there in the 2nd innings was Dravid with 27 not out.

 

Then that twin fifties on an unplayable West Indian pitch. twin centuries at the Eden Gardens when India was back to the wall,  2001 test vs Australia, Adelaide Test,  Rawal pindi test.  Then that Leeds Test century. He was made to open, play at 6, play at 3.  By far the best player against swing bowling India has seen.

 

 

Sachin has many innings like that but they somehow "dont count" or is under rated

Link to post
Just now, New guy said:

Sachin has many innings like that but they somehow "dont count" or is under rated

 

Certainly his 117 as a 17 year old was one of my favorite knock. He made 117 & 68. England surrounded him with 8 fielders? That draw is enough. That 136 at chepauk was a heart breaking one though. We were inches away from win. Also one of the personal regret of Sachin was India not being able to cross 120 to win the test vs Windies. Initially fans were frustrated. But over the course it was learnt many wickets the Windies took was of no balls and they were not called. Sachin did play his part in ths historic Kolkata test with ball. In 2000s India could have won a few more tests. Everyone has innings like that. But he was never called over-rated. But Dravid is. Hence it is our duty to show some of his valiant efforts.

Link to post
1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

 

Certainly his 117 as a 17 year old was one of my favorite knock. He made 117 & 68. England surrounded him with 8 fielders? That draw is enough. That 136 at chepauk was a heart breaking one though. We were inches away from win. Also one of the personal regret of Sachin was India not being able to cross 120 to win the test vs Windies. Initially fans were frustrated. But over the course it was learnt many wickets the Windies took was of no balls and they were not called. Sachin did play his part in ths historic Kolkata test with ball. In 2000s India could have won a few more tests. Everyone has innings like that. But he was never called over-rated. But Dravid is. Hence it is our duty to show some of his valiant efforts.

Dravid should not be called overrated IMO. Our best ever No. 3 and an ATG - no question about that in my mind

Link to post
2 hours ago, R!TTER said:

5 no balls, I've remembered it for nearly 20 years! The *ing fickle fans can go * themselves :whack2:

the age of home umpires was a joke those days. especially in pak in the 80s. I remember how amarnath and vengsarkar had to bat a whole day without even allowing balls to hit their pads. and WI umpires were pretty biased as well  - allowed a lot of pseudo-bodyline bowling in the 70s-90s.

Link to post
5 hours ago, goose said:

the only thing worse than a never ending sachin vs kohli thread is one that no longer has anytihng to do with sachin vs kohli !

yes, let's make it into a bradman vs smith thread or headley vs lara vs richards thread. my vote is for bradman (despite him only facing trundlers) and for lara.

Link to post

If we have to simplify the difference,  Two words. Back foot.  Kohli's front foot plonking game could not be sustained.  If Kohli had mastered this his record would have been closer to Smith's record. He does play. But does he play when has to all the time. No. More often than not he plays a shot on the frontfoot that should have been played off the backfoot.

 

 

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...