India tour of South Africa 2018, Pink Day: 4th ODI at Johannesburg (D/N) - Feb 10th, 2018 - 16.30 IST

jalebi_bhai

Will India win their first ODI series in South Africa today?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Will India win their first ODI series in South Africa today?

14 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Not in ODIs ... where Dhawan is better than Sehwag.

I don't quite agree. Sehwag played in an era when 1 new ball that actually moved around existed . When you consider the impact of his average and strike rate together, you could argue that he singlehandedly took the game away from the opposition. Like the 2011 SF against Pakistan. He scored only 38 but PAK were completely on the backfoot and we're clawing back from that assault. Also Gul, the best bowler of the tournament, was psychologically deflated and couldn't bowl his Yorkers at the death either. He may have underacheived in the format but I don't think Dhawan has that impact. 

I don't quite agree. Sehwag played in an era when 1 new ball that actually moved around existed . When you consider the impact of his average and strike rate together, you could argue that he singlehandedly took the game away from the opposition. Like the 2011 SF against Pakistan. He scored only 38 but PAK were completely on the backfoot and we're clawing back from that assault. Also Gul, the best bowler of the tournament, was psychologically deflated and couldn't bowl his Yorkers at the death either. He may have underacheived in the format but I don't think Dhawan has that impact. 
Dhawan has been one of our best players in ICC tourneys.

Sent from my MotoG3-TE using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Nikhil_cric said:

So facing one new ball is tougher than facing two new balls in these conditions?

2 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

Nah Rahane should come in at 4.

This pitch will suit him best.Good pace and bounce , short boundaries and not much turn either.

Although rahane is not ideal for odis but on such pitches there's a sense of comfort when I see rahane's name at #4 than any hack that we have tried recently 

2 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

So facing one new ball is tougher than facing two new balls in these conditions?

2 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

The white kookaburra they use these days has layers of lacquer removed from it these days and then they have two of them from either end. So neither do they swing a lot conventionally nor do they get roughed up enough to reverse sharply at the death or it to spin a lot. 

7 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

With 2 balls used nowadays ... new ball moves longer these days.

Sehwag, on his day, was better than everyone else.

But , in ODIs, lacked the consistency that he had in tests.