Shivam Dubey

17 minutes ago, express bowling said:

" Hitting zones " have to be considered in the context of the batsman.  Cook did not have any hitting zone by modern standards ... but was not dependant on only 1 shot or 1 area to score runs. 

Someone like a Dube, with a FC strike rate if 67,  does not really wait for the bowler to bowl to his strength even in FC.  And most modern batters are like that. They don't have the patience. 

The batting days of Ravi Shastri, with his chapati shot,  and Geoff Boycott are over.

True.  But Dube is not such a batsman in domestic cricket atleast.

First I would not put Ravi Shastri and Boycott in same level.Dubey's FC avg is very misleading just like Shankar both are bits and pieces players.

I like Dubey better as he seems to have better range of shots and he is the only guy in the system who can use long handle from no 5 or lower which is still yet to be seen in Dubey's case.

I would play him in odis too and if possible send him at no 3 to let him settle in international cricket.

17 hours ago, putrevus said:

Wrong about hitting zone. high FC avg is all about being selective with shot selections and waiting for bowlers to bowl to your strength.

Cook is prime example in test, he has very limited hitting zones but it worked very well for him as he was patient.

Odis it is all about taking singles and hitting odd boundaries.Dhoni is prime example for this, he stinks in t20s as he does not have ability to hit the ball where it is pitched and can be controlled very easily.

T20s you need to have  the ability to hit in multiple zones otherwise you will struggle.

But then cook has a very low Strike rate while Dubey scores quickly.

4 hours ago, rkt.india said:

But then cook has a very low Strike rate while Dubey scores quickly.

In FC SR does not matter much that is the point. Cook became very successful because he knew his limitations and he built this game around his strong point which was patience.

I would not classify Dubey or Shankar as batsmen at all.They are just bits and pieces players who bat better than they bowl.That does not make them batsmen.Dubey is worth investing time as he is leftie but it still needs to be seen if he can tonk the ball from no5 or below.He will be facing mostly fast bowlers at the death can he handle them?

I would say do not dismiss Dubey right away.  He has his plus points . 

1. If the ball is pitched up , he will hit down the ground powerfully even against quick bowlers. 

2. Has a long reach and can easily reach good length deliveries from spinners .

3. I feel he can be threat for opposition spinners if he is selective  unless such spinners are really good.

One could make out the way WI bowlers bowled at him. Avoided bowling length deliveries and spinners tried bowling wide of his hitting zone .  

Issue right now seems to be his game vs shortish stuff. Looks like quick guys will trouble him .

Few things he needs to quickly develop

1. Find way not to get out to short stuff bouncers and get some runs 1, 2  runs ( 1 cannot bowl more than 2 bouncers)

2. Practice and become good at Pull shot ( as this kind of delivery will be dished out more once 2 bouncer per over quota gets over)

3. Have reverse sweep ready as most spinners are going to bowl wide of off stump. Once he reverse sweeps them , bowlers will start bowling nearer to hitting zone. Also this will open up areas from point to long on for him to hit even if they bowl outside off stump.

4. Once he shows some development in these areas , watch out for good length stuff with change of pace from bowlers .

If i were to coach , i will ask him to work on these for next 6 months  and then see the results .

In fact there is lot of improvements needed even with some our young guys . 

Iyer  - very good vs spin hitting down the ground  Long on to mid wicket . But most of the time this his hitting zone .He needs to play more his offside shots  inside out , arial shots over off side in field .  reverse sweeps  esp when bowlers bowl  wide of off stump.  more options of shots like pull , cut vs pace . Not that he does not have these shots but does not play them much with control and often gets out . 

Pant - Too much dependency on leg side . Playing horizontal slogs , sweeps always hitting in the air almost every shot . Bowlers just try to make him play aerially to leg side with good field placements . If he can start hitting such deliveries over point , covers , back over bowlers head, long off  based on length , he will become a better bat and then setting filed for him becomes tough and this throws lot more gaps .

Too much stress on power and loosing the grip . he should playing shots without losing balance or grip. That's what  coach  should  be doing with him.

But have we seen any improvements in these areas  by them ?? No. 

This is the job of the Main Coach ( who was batsman) and Batting coach. 

But Alas , both these fellows Bewda & Rathod are just doing man management but no  serious  coaching stuff it seems.

On 11/30/2018 at 8:28 PM, putrevus said:

Sorry this guy to me looks already better than Hardik Pandya in bowling and I hope he gets into world cup team.

On 11/30/2018 at 8:51 PM, putrevus said:

Hardik is pace bowler?? Hardik is a trundler too who other banging in short knows nothing , this guy looks like has general idea on how to bowl and is taller than Pandya.He looks like he is better batsman too.

On 12/2/2018 at 12:30 AM, putrevus said:

I agree this guy looks better than both Pandya bros, and as a bowler looks like bowling heavy ball like Kallis. To be fair we need to see him facing international bowlers.

And this guy says we have no talent in country.....clearly what an eye for talent that he claimed dubey bowling was better then pandya. Shows how quicky he judges someone and ends up getting proved wrong 

He is very lucky with that spell today. Gun barrell straight 125k balls went unpunished. Okay atleast you can consider that as a bonus if he does well with bat. His only one shot is leg side hoicking. For such a big man ball rarely crosses the boundary. So he imparts neither power no real timing. He barely clears short straight boundaries. That was like what 58 meter?