Performances of Batsmen

7 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Most batsmen have some technical issues. 

But the good ones learn to play around them.  

This planted foot issue exists for Smith too.

Problem arises when batsmen are circumspect in the mind. 

Gill did not look his usual self. It was as if someone has told him to not lose his wicket at any cost. And he was extra cautious and ended up not playing his usual game.

Smith one is pure myth proven over the years 

Gill is yet to be tested . With gill i have seen this even when he is set but such things take time to be commonly known by teams. Extra cautious approach might be due to sighting but im not even looking into that , there is one issue will point take screenshots next time i see it

9 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Smith one is pure myth proven over the years 

Gill is yet to be tested . With gill i have seen this even when he is set but such things take time to be commonly known by teams. Extra cautious approach might be due to sighting but im not even looking into that , there is one issue will point take screenshots next time i see it

What I am saying is that the good batsmen learn to live with the issues they have and learn to play around those issues.

Have seen very few technically correct batsmen. 

Edited by express bowling
15 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Nope his planted feet will has been an issue that wud be exploited in future with LBWs. I hve noticed this quite a few times.  Which is why i dnt buy he is that technically sound as ppl say.  Bowl coming back sharply in can be bit of a chink but most avg bowlers wont be able to exploit it and end up giving him runs

But everyone has some issue, he has to many qualities to let this take over and this cant be exploited by any tom dick n harry 

I doubt he ever got LBW to incoming deliveries from pacers if i am not wrong , i do not think there is  a noticeable issue here . batsmen will get LBW if they try to flick across most of the time . He plays between mid on to wide mid wicket for in coming deliveries which cuts the probability of LBW  . Even yesterday Jimmy tried those incoming deliveries, after  struggling for couple of such deliveries , i think he handled them by playing more towards wide mid wicket with full face of  the bat. 

But have seen getting out spinners couple of times around leg stump mainly to straight /arm ball from SLA  spinners . 

Overall bit disappointed with his play against spinners since he looked better one vs spinners among young players - issue seem more with temperament to stay there and fight it out in raging spinning tracks . 

Edited by prudent_kreeda
33 minutes ago, prudent_kreeda said:

I doubt he ever got LBW to incoming deliveries from pacers if i am not wrong , i do not think there is  a noticeable issue here . batsmen will get LBW if they try to flick across most of the time . He plays between mid on to wide mid wicket for in coming deliveries which cuts the probability of LBW  . Even yesterday Jimmy tried those incoming deliveries, after  struggling for couple of such deliveries , i think he handled them by playing more towards wide mid wicket with full face of  the bat. 

But have seen getting out spinners couple of times around leg stump mainly to straight /arm ball from SLA  spinners . 

Overall bit disappointed with his play against spinners since he looked better one vs spinners among young players - issue seem more with temperament to stay there and fight it out in raging spinning tracks . 

As i said its not something major but their is a chink which is what everyone has but in international cricket these are small area which gets exploited.  He doesnt play close to the body which does create a problem with incoming ones and i have noticed him getting in trouble with some balls that come in. Will take shots next time, its very small but this is what international teams will look at . 

@express bowling @prudent_kreeda

I just saw the highlights, this is the exact dismissal i was pointing out above. I have seen this few times with him in A games n domestic. His head kind of falls of and he looses balance. When we talk about smith, getting him out like this is damn bloody tough. I think him being a backfoot player also doesnt help 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

Seeing the performances of our Nos. 3-5 over the past 2 years, it is clear the writing is on the wall. And even Rohit won't be around for that many years because of age and fitness issues. Hence, we will be needing 4 players in the top 5. Pant can play on at No. 6.

Openers: Shaw/Agarwal/Easwaran to partner KL Rahul (would prefer Shaw if he continues to do well}

No.3: I believe we need at least one technically sound player who can block for long periods of time (more like Dravid or old Chepu rather than current Chepu). I do not see anyone yet in domestics. Vihari is the closest, and perhaps he should be given an extended run.

No. 4: Gill (in all likelihood, he can inherit the mantle from Kohli but needs to work out several chinks in his batting that became manifest in his last 3-4 tests)

No. 5: Ideally would want a VVS-type batsman, but they are hard to find. No real contenders as far as I can see. My belief is that Sundar should be groomed long-term for this role and he can play as a 6th bowling option as well.

So, on balance, both No. 3 and No. 5 are missing, albeit less so perhaps for No. 3. Even No. 1 and No. 4 are a bit shaky IMO.

Current best bet: Shaw, Rahul, Vihari, Gill, Sundar, Pant, Jaddu, Thakur/Ashwin/Rahul Chahar [batting till 8 and 6 bowling options]

Edited by Vijy

Just saw the highlights... what was most annoying was the manner of dismissals.. 

Rahul, Pujara, Kohli, Rahane all falling to the same old 4th 5th stump line deliveries.. line that you should be leaving in Eng and esp at Headingley until lunch time.. all of them poking at balls.. Vikram Rathore should be fired for such abysmal performance.. Pant is Pant but he should try playing few balls before flashing..

Worst dismissal was of Jadeja.. he was clearly trying to pick a single of the second ball of the over with tailender at the other end.. this RJ is probably the most talented selfish cricketer to play for India.. 

Edited by Vk1
8 hours ago, Cricspin said:

I feel than while how many runs you score is important, it is also important to see how secure a batsman looks at the crease. Is he playing with confidence or looks like getting out any ball.

Rohit/Rahul - Both look secure and confident in this series. Rohit batted well today before another compulsive failed pull shot.

Pujara/Virat/Rahane << The root of the problem , dont inspire any confidence. Not just the lack of runs. 

Pant/Jadeja - They have added valuable runs recently but I cant expect them to do it each time when the top 5 totally collapses. Pant has not been as confident this series but Jadeja has looked mostly assured even though did not get runs today.

Tail >> any runs are a nice surprise. but to be honest they are not doing badly.

Overall good assesment of the current batting problems. It's a scam that the so called middle order is being treated with kid gloves, no one even questions their lack of form or runs. I will gladly take a middle order of Sakib, Rahim & Mahmudullah over these buffoons.

Problem is after playing so many Matches and touring SENA several times ,these bozos still don't know how to play the ball on the fifth sixth stump line and neither have they shown any evidence to tackle it  or try out some innovations like batting outside the crease to negate the swing or playing late etc .

It just shows our current batters are not good enough.Even Pakistan and windies batsmen have displayed much better technique and grit than our Rockstars.

Time to try out from the new crop 

Rahul and Hitman are at least looking capable of spending time out there and getting a move on later even if the latter often throws his wicket away. What's concerning is our elderly statesmen in the MO don't even look capable of lasting long enough to then make substantial scores even in benign conditions for all their pedigree. Whether this is due to age related decline or just not having the motivation to grind and score runs through sheer force of will I don't know but even flawed replacements like SKY - prima facie unsuited to red ball cricket - and Agarwal can't really do worse at this stage imo. We definitely need a batting reset sooner rather than later but sadly that won't happen even if we go on to lose the series 'valiantly' from here.