4th Test, India Vs England at Southampton on 30th August 2018 at 3.30pm IST.

tweaker

Predict India's 1st innings lead  

44 members have voted

1. 1. 4th Test : Who much will India's 1st innings lead be?

• <0
    • 0-100
    • 101-150
    • 151-200
    • 250+

This poll is closed to new votes

3 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

How many county games has he played?

Listened to a podcast where they said the same (incl. Butcher).

He failed in the game against Somerset and didn't do much in the limited over games against India either. Anyway will find out soon enough. I thought Pope looked good for the short moments he was there and coming lower down the order would have really helped him.

Just now, shortbread said:

Listened to a podcast where they said the same (incl. Butcher).

He failed in the game against Somerset and didn't do much in the limited over games against India either. Anyway will find out soon enough. I thought Pope looked good for the short moments he was there and coming lower down the order would have really helped him.

He has played 2 county games, 3 innings including a double century and an average of 85 

3 hours ago, Tridibans_16 said:

India needs to see off the first session by not losing more than 2 wickets. If we manage to do that, fair chance that this fragile English lineup will struggle against scoreboard pressure. But again, this all will be moot if we lose the toss.... again (50% chance) :(

England so far lucky on toss matter but according to

Srilankan Chandimal' its tragedy, no matter how great your cricket board, you not control Toss''

I liked his DBL meaning comments.

Virat so far very un-lucky, if we win toss we should bat because most likely we will play with one spinner and rest of pacer,Moeen in English team in place of pope because Moeen hits DBL this week or so in domestic.

Besides this Mo also most successful spinner here (Rose bowl) with 8 test wickets.

I think its high risk to includes Out of form Jadeja when so far Seam bowler doing wonderful job.England

Afraid of Indian seam bowling so they have long list of batting, they wants to draw test than loosing.

5 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

He has played 2 county games, 3 innings including a double century and an average of 85 

Yes the double century changed everything and hats off to him as it's not an easy feat.

But that game was a run fest and what changed it into Worcs favour was Pennington's spell when Yorks batted first. In slightly favourable conditions for the bowlers, Pennington took wickets and made them look hapless. 

But maybe I am wrong and Moeen might be in impressive form.

Just now, shortbread said:

Yes the double century changed everything and hats off to him as it's not an easy feat.

But that game was a run fest and what changed it into Worcs favour was Pennington's spell when Yorks batted first. In slightly favourable conditions for the bowlers, Pennington took wickets and made them look hapless. 

He also took 8 wickets in the game 

Good luck Anderson, he need 7 more to break Glen McGrath's 563 wickets record in fast bowler category.

ECB says,' Anderson now 35,might continue till 40 years as world's #1 bowler'.

I doubt no one ever break record of Murli (800w) in spinner category and Anderson who could also may add yet another 150 test wickets, mainly other than Asian sub-continent.

1 minute ago, shortbread said:

No matter what personnel England debate about positions 7 -. 9, which spinner , which fourth seamer is irrelevant because they don't have a 1,2,3, in the country that can bat in test matches .

4 minutes ago, shortbread said:

He was among runs even before his DBL but he can perform well because both Rose bowl and oval he could ruins ashwins average.

1 minute ago, Nikhil_cric said:

What about that Livingston bloke?

The reason they haven't picked anyone new for positions is they know no-one in the county circuit has it to succeed in the test arena. 

They gambled with Pope a number 6 in the counties and batted him at 4 . He is never a test match number 4 .

20 hours ago, shortbread said:

England XI

Alastair Cook 

Keaton Jennings 

Joe Root

Jonny Bairstow

Ben Stokes

Jos Buttler (wk)

Moeen Ali

Sam Curran

Adil Rashid

Stuart Broad

James Anderson

I think it's a stronger batting unit but weakened the bowling with Woakes being injured.

Woakes is a much better bowler than Curran and him out is a big blow to England. The latter only swings it one way (inswing) and apart from the 4 wickets in the first innings of the first game has done nothing special. He bowls slower and if played responsibly will pose little threat to the Indian batsman. In the first game most of his wickets were gifted by India. Curran albeit is a very positive batsman.

Moeen has actually been much better with the ball than bat this county season. Apart from the double century he's been scratchy this season with the bat and continues the same so-so form to the limited over Indian series. Considering Pope has had little to offer (I think he's a tad unlucky and looked good the few balls he was there) Moeen is a nice trade.

India should have a more potent bowling attack in 3 pacers and all rounders in Ashwin and Pandya. Having four quick bowlers will be vital as I expect long spells to be bowled. Spin will have little role till day 4 or 5.

TBH England probably needed that extra dimension of a left-armer in their attack

8 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

The reason they haven't picked anyone new for positions is they know no-one in the county circuit has it to succeed in the test arena. 

They gambled with Pope a number 6 in the counties and batted him at 4 . He is never a test match number 4 .

Still it was stupid to drop pope after 2 tests. You need to persist with him atleast for a couple of series. And at this point, I think anyone would be better than Jennings.

7 minutes ago, Sachinism said:

2 spinners is way too risky in England unless you're going to encounter a raggedy pitch.

The problem is with the squad we have selected. Shami is the weak link in this attack. But we don't have someone like Siraj to replace him. If at all we play 2 spinners I think Jadeja should replace him (assuming Ashwin is fully fit). But this will only click for us if we win the toss and bat first and bury England under a huge first innings total. 

Just now, Nikhil_cric said:

Still it was stupid to drop pope after 2 tests. You need to persist with him atleast for a couple of series. And at this point, I think anyone would be better than Jennings.

The last test was the time for experimenting , see what someone can do , if you lose the test well still 2-1 up and the player picked at opening of three might come off but now England need to draw or win to win series. 

If Vince had been picked at three that allowed Pope to bat 6 , now it's too late and Pope is suffering because he wasn't picked to bat in his normal place.