Just why the heck is IPL giving $$$ contracts to Punter, Pup and Symmo

fineleg

Gambit, We can have a very good IPL tournament without those two. Just these two missing wont cause a major drop in the game for IPL! Cant we even do minor minor tradeoffs to show these guys their place?
Ruthless businessmen are known to cast aside their personal preferences and deal with even their worst enemies if there's money to be made. And businessmen are going to be running the franchises here. BCCI is also a business entity whether you like it or not. Not only are Ponting and Symonds excellent cricketers, they are also controversial characters. With them, anything, from sledging to fights, is possible. And that is what is going draw the advertisers, the crowds and the TV audience in. The businessmen realise the possibilities of this and feel that it's too good an opportunity to miss.

If Symmo is a cheat for staying behind despite nicking the ball, so is Sachin. If he is a cheat for claiming bump-ball catches, so are Ganguly and Dhoni. Staying at the crease despite nicking the ball or claiming bump-ball catches is not a crime. The batsman is fully entitled to stand his ground and allow the umpire to make his decision. Even in bump-ball catches, the fielder doesnt know if its clean catch or not, so its perfectly ok to ask the question. Only, during certain instances, like Clarke's catch during the previous Chappell-Hadlee trophy, the fielder acts as though he caught it, despite himself knowing the ball bounced. Symonds and Ponting are NOT cheats. Pup has exhibited unsportsmanlike behavior by claiming blatant bump-ball catches, or staying at the wicket waiting for the umpire's decision, after nicking the ball to slip. The fact of the matter is, if Aussies are cheats, then so are every other team. However, Aus can be accused of playing the game in a brazenly ruthless way, that sometimes leaves a VERY bad taste in the mouth.

I'll bet that these morons would behave themselves now' date=' because they won't be surrounded by the like-minded uncultured uneducated creeps and the money will talk.[/quote'] Ana, Yery polite request, Why are going down the route of generalizing millions of people ? You are better than that and you know it.

Ana, Yery polite request, Why are going down the route of generalizing millions of people ? You are better than that and you know it.
I was talking about the 11 players on field, although their official govt policies would vindicate the generalization as well.

Guest HariSampath

I think the reason for considering Ponting, Clarke and Symonds is very simple and straightforward. They are outstanding cricketers in the Limited overs format and call all turn a match on its heels by their batting, a bit of bowling too and not to mention outstanding international class fielding able to win a cricket match with just 2 minutes of cricketing brilliance , dismissing 2 batters by catching or runout and win a game. The fact also is there they had been well known for questionable behavior on the field and had clearly tried to play unfair in cricket. All the sentiments of the second issue are overshadowed by the first issue.

Symonds and Ponting are NOT cheats. Pup has exhibited unsportsmanlike behavior by claiming blatant bump-ball catches, or staying at the wicket waiting for the umpire's decision, after nicking the ball to slip. The fact of the matter is, if Aussies are cheats, then so are every other team. However, Aus can be accused of playing the game in a brazenly ruthless way, that sometimes leaves a VERY bad taste in the mouth.
Please stop comparing the indian team to these yobs. They are the worst behaved team in world cricket and this is the view of most. You may admire their brutish behaviour and manipulation of officials but others dont. They are a disgrace and have turned in to a mob under the captaincy of yob ponting. We have leaders like dravid and kumble hence our boys behave with far more dignity

Please stop comparing the indian team to these yobs. They are the worst behaved team in world cricket and this is the view of most. You may admire their brutish behaviour and manipulation of officials but others dont. They are a disgrace and have turned in to a mob under the captaincy of yob ponting. We have leaders like dravid and kumble hence our boys behave with far more dignity
Are Australians unnecessarily brazen on the field ? Yes. Are Australians cheats ? No.

Guest HariSampath
Are Australians unnecessarily brazen on the field ? Yes. Are Australians cheats ? No.
You need to qualify this staments to "Are Aussies cheats ? Maybe, and if so they are not the only ones, but certainly one of the most often repeating offenders"

Guest HariSampath

Chennai franchise has named itself "Chennai superkings"...Srikkanth unveiled it today. I think the name sucks bigtime and a bad imitation /attempt to of ICL's Chennai superstars. I wish Superstars thrash Superkings if ever they meet in some future game. Superkings are likely to try and bid for Muralitharan and also one Australian. I hope Chennai superkings get Mitchell Johnson , as he is a fantastic matchwinner and seriously quick.

IPL is all about the money and Punter and Roy are among the best ODI players today. It would be suicide not to offer contracts to these guys.
Gambit- From Gambit's interview: http://www.indiancricketfans.com/showpost.php?p=334746&postcount=19
Question: -- According to you, what is the most important thing in our life ? Gambit's response: Self respect. People should learn to respect themselves for who they are and should stop feeling sorry for themselves if someone makes fun of them or puts them down.
If BCCI has self respect, they wont hire the guy who pushed Pawar off the podium, the guy who foul mouthed Bhajji and created a strorm in Sydney with racial accusations against him, etc etc the list goes on. I'm not saying ICC shud ban Punter and Symo permanently, am I? I am saying this is our event in our backyard - do we need to invite disrespectful people for our events?

You need to qualify this staments to "Are Aussies cheats ? Maybe' date=' and if so they are not the only ones, but certainly one of the most often repeating offenders"[/quote'] I will grudgingly agree to that. I hate stereotyping, coz most of it is a fabrication of the mind.
They are not cheats? :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:
Ok, Tell me three things that they have done, which according to you is cheating ? P.S - Please dont come up with " They claimed bump-ball catches, stand after nicking the ball and sledge players".

Gambit- From Gambit's interview: http://www.indiancricketfans.com/showpost.php?p=334746&postcount=19 If BCCI has self respect, they wont hire the guy who pushed Pawar off the podium, the guy who foul mouthed Bhajji and created a strorm in Sydney with racial accusations against him, etc etc the list goes on. I'm not saying ICC shud ban Punter and Symo permanently, am I? I am saying this is our event in our backyard - do we need to invite disrespectful people for our events?
Oh brother. What I said was on a personal level not a corporate level. If we were to extend your logic, then BCCI shouldn't field a team against OZ featuring these guys because they shouldn't compromise on self-respect. Look, BCCI is a business entity. It's aim is to make money any which way and also promote cricket growth in India. The advertisers and sponsors are not going to dish out the $$$ for people like Hopes and Watson. They want the cream of Australia to play and who better than their captain, the vice and future captain and the cricketer who the Indians love to hate. Vijay Mallya and co will have BCCI by the balls if they ignore controversial characters like Actor, Punter, Nel etc. The way they see it, it has massive entertainment potential. People will turn out in numbers to boo Symonds and Punter and will cheer on Bhajji against them. Cut throat business has little time for emotions or self respect.

I will grudgingly agree to that. I hate stereotyping, coz most of it is a fabrication of the mind. Ok, Tell me three things that they have done, which according to you is cheating ? P.S - Please dont come up with " They claimed bump-ball catches, stand after nicking the ball and sledge players".
Claiming bump-ball catches is fine if you are not sure (even then the gentlemanly thing would be to say not sure), but when you see the ball grassed and then claim it, don't tell me that's not cheating. And it's not like it has happened only once, it has happened multiple times with the same player, says something about them. What about the obvious bullying of umpires, or using granite (don't remember what it was) or some cra.p that ponting used on his bat?