Hinduphobic Bollywood

Laaloo

1 hour ago, gattaca said:

You are The who posted Brahmins are shown as evil characters. Shows your hypocrisy in calling me getting attracted to divisive themes.Truth is Brahmins have oppressed most India under the tag of sudras and untouchables. They have history of divisiveness. 

Key word here being history. Firstly no one is denying in history that  Brahmins might have exploited people from the lower castes.

Let us also ignore  for a moment that most famous social reformers who rebelled and stood up against their community against untouchability were Brahmins too.

However are you telling me in 2018 that Bhramins are still exploiting lower castes? 

As I said above if caste system, Sati etc is shown within the context of the story in a movie there is no problem. However forced stereotypes like the cunning Baniya, Evil exploitative Brahmin, The feudal  Zamindar Thakur/Reddy in this day and age feels forced in movies and that was the fking point I was making.

Way to miss the basic point. You seem to clearly harbor so much hate that there is no point discussing.

Edited by Global.Baba

I saw Padman which also showed Hindu followers to be dumb people who give money to mechanical statues which then break coconuts, making it look like the statues have produced the coconut from thin air.

I’m sure that this happens in real life but other religions should also be ridiculed like this as well.

7 hours ago, bhakum20 said:

If it’s agnostics/atheists or people of other Indic religions making fun of Hindus it’s fine. But chrislamists on the other hand should be dealt with severely, they’ve done too much damage since inception to be forgiven

And no I won’t respect any god because he/she/it has done nothing for me

In that case there is not whole lot to talk about. 

1 hour ago, Ranvir said:

I saw Padman which also showed Hindu followers to be dumb people who give money to mechanical statues which then break coconuts, making it look like the statues have produced the coconut from thin air.

I’m sure that this happens in real life but other religions should also be ridiculed like this as well.

Same with Toilet Ek Prem katha. They were showing that Hindu beliefs is the reason why people go khule mein shauch, not poverty. The brahmin pandit type keeps iterating .. "Jis Ghar mein puja paath ho, usi ghar mein shauch?" I doubt the resistence comes from Hindu beliefs. Absurd. 

3 hours ago, velu said:

i think they are not genuinely hinduphobic , but this is one of the ways opposition is trying to undermine bjp..

opposition consider  BJP hijacked nationalism and  hindu religion and they are trying to undermine both as much as possible by any means ..

Nahi yaar, Bollywood was like this for a while now. Even under the UPA government. I think it has to do with Dawood's money in the industry. Now Modi is in government so people feel confident to speak up about such issues.   

9 hours ago, Global.Baba said:

Maybe in Bengal where you come from, Brahmins might be a strong political class and maybe the case in some other states, it is not the same case with all states. I don’t disagree that there is exploitation but stereotyping it and attaching it to one community is as ignorant as the caste bias itself. It is a problem that comes with power. No different than areas of power centers controlled by one group of people like Italians/Irish/Jewish/Polish etc in the USA. Anyways that doesn’t justify it but that is very hypocritical of you to say that a archetype exists and generalizing many people of a certain community as evil.

Dude, there is no institutional Irish/Italian/Jewish/Polish anything in the US. There is institutional racism there, just like India has institutional caste-ism. And just like how the pro-racism folks in US whine when the liberals here expose the racism and ask for systemic change, so too the conservative hindus whine when hinduism is exposed for its evils. 

Caste related themes or forced social commentary in a movie that is for light hearted entertainment purposes and has no context to it is what is a problem. 

Clearly not- the creators of the movie deciede what the theme is, not the viewer. And yes, caste related theme or burkha related theme - any of this backwards nonsense being exposed for what it is, is good for the people.

Ok Caste system needs to be hammered on? In 2018 Caste bias is least of this countries problems. Unless you started living abroad in the 1950s I am not sure how you missed it. Yeah it is still there and it is an evil but this is not the 1900s anymore, this problem has gone down the pecking order in terms of India’s problems. 

its not least of the country's problem, it is still very much a big problem. People are still dying for marrying outside their caste, acid thrown on their faces and such. Its not as bad as the 1950s, but its still pretty bad and Hinduism deserves all the criticism it gets for the evils it commits. 

It may've gone down the pecking order but its been India's problem for centuries. So it needs to be hammered on till its completely dead, lest it rises up the pecking order in the future again, like it has in the past.

Edited by Muloghonto

Another film example was Bajrangi Bhaijaan. They propagated the Aryan-Dravidian race myth.

One scene they try to figure out the little girls caste and they say she is either a Brahman or a Kshatriya because she is light skin.  Chews don't know that in general people get darker the further we go towards the equator. Skin pigmentation is related to distance from equator. :facepalm:

2 minutes ago, Moochad said:

Another film example was Bajrangi Bhaijaan. They propagated the Aryan-Dravidian race myth.

One scene they try to figure out the little girls caste and they say she is either a Brahman or a Kshatriya because she is light skin.  Chews don't know that in general people get darker the further we go towards the equator. Skin pigmentation is related to distance from equator. :facepalm:

the racial angle to Aryan-Dravidian divide is the most mystifying of all of them. I know a few Iyer and Iyengar brahmins. One of them is light-skinned, the others are darker skins than the darkest-skinned Bengali. 

7 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

Dude, there is no institutional Irish/Italian/Jewish/Polish anything in the US. There is institutional racism there, just like India has institutional caste-ism. And just like how the pro-racism folks in US whine when the liberals here expose the racism and ask for systemic change, so too the conservative hindus whine when hinduism is exposed for its evils. 

Clearly not- the creators of the movie deciede what the theme is, not the viewer. And yes, caste related theme or burkha related theme - any of this backwards nonsense being exposed for what it is, is good for the people.

its not least of the country's problem, it is still very much a big problem. People are still dying for marrying outside their caste, acid thrown on their faces and such. Its not as bad as the 1950s, but its still pretty bad and Hinduism deserves all the criticism it gets for the evils it commits. 

It may've gone down the pecking order but its been India's problem for centuries. So it needs to be hammered on till its completely dead, lest it rises up the pecking order in the future again, like it has in the past.

You are clearly out of touch

Firstly acid attacks,honor killings happen in rural India, agreed. This happens with both inter-caste and inter-religious marriages. 2 things here- I have already said if the central theme of the movie is based on such events, there is no problem, I have already acknowledged that. 2nd thing is there is no Evil Brahmanical angle to such disgraceful acts. It happens at all levels and with all religions.

You are confusing Caste-based and religion-based vote bank politics with caste-based hierarchy in Hinduism in the modern era. This has nothing to do with religion. There is no influence of the Hindu religion in this day and age or the scriptures or the Brahmins when it comes to this mess.

Let us take one of India's largest states UP. The most powerful lady in this state is a Dalit. The other 2 most powerful people are a a guy who is a sanyaasi and a Kshatriya by birth and at least on the surface plays Hindutva politics and not caste politics, The other is a Yadav. Do you know that  Mayawati and Akhilesh along with Minority vote bank politics also cater to the Brahmins who are not a powerful political force in  for their vote bank? 

Tamil Nadu politics thrive on Anti-Brahmanism and even Anti- Hinduism at many levels.The focus there is more on the linguistics aspect than caste and tamil posters can expand on this.

Similarly in Andhra Pradesh there are 2 powerful political castes and while the idiots who blindly follow these leaders go crazy about caste,The rich and elite from these castes inter-marry for political and financial gains much like it happened back in the medieval period.

Maharashtra politics too is based on linguistic pride rather than caste-based issues.

Gujarat there is a political movement for reservations for a certain community. Again nothing to do with Hinduism,just vote-bank politics.

Telangana is a state created on cultural lines. Again nothing to do with castes.

Kerala and Bengal once a beacon of prominent scholars and states that took pride in their literacy are turning into bigger shyte-holes than the states mentioned above and there is no caste-based politics here,these are communist strongholds.

Clearly this has nothing to do with Bollywood taking a dig at the Hindu religion at every chance they get even when the subject matter is light hearted entertainment. This is not the 1920's FFS. As I said if it is a gripping subject matter with a theme based on politics,sure.

You need to upgrade yourself from the 1920's chain of thought of evil Brahmins and evil-Hindus. Welcome to 2018.

Now going to ancient history. Ramayana was written by a Shudra. Mahabharata was written by a Brahmin(assumption) where the most sympathetic and heroic character Karna was a guy who was a victim of caste bias. Even then the evil Duryodhana's biggest virtue was his value for friendship and ability to look beyond the caste-divide.

Ramayana's biggest villain in fact India's greatest villain Ravana was a Brahmin king.No one has issues with that.

Vishwamitra was a sage who was a Kshatriya by birth.

Krishna was a Yadava but cousins with Arjuna who was a Kshatriya. Vidur was Dhritarashtra's half-brother but a Shudra but he was hailed as the most intelligent man in the world.

Chanakya was a king-maker but he picked Chadragupta off the streets because he saw potential. He didn't go around looking for a Brahmin because he was a caste-crazy lunatic.

Plenty of prominent Brahmins,Kshatriyas and other forward castes of that period rebelled against Social evils at various times going back to Buddha. The keyword here social evils not religious ones.

Sure Brahmins back in the day were a powerful caste and as @coffee_rules mentioned might have worked in cahoots with other political classes to oppress and exploit. This is nothing different from what is happening today by the ruling classes. This will happen forever as long as humans are alive. Pakistan is a total muslim state, weren't the Pakjabis trying to oppress East-Bengalis?

You seem to be as Hinduphobic as Bollywood lol. Anyway we have come a long way off-topic. The case in point is Bollywood is a low-grade film industry for the matter of fact 99% of Indian commercial film industry devoid of any creativity or innovation or talent. They seem to clearly cater to the idiots of the world and run by idiots who still think we live in a medieval world.

19 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

You are clearly out of touch

Firstly acid attacks,honor killings happen in rural India, agreed. This happens with both inter-caste and inter-religious marriages. 2 things here- I have already said if the central theme of the movie is based on such events, there is no problem, I have already acknowledged that. 2nd thing is there is no Evil Brahmanical angle to such disgraceful acts. It happens at all levels and with all religions.

Evil brahmanical angle is evil because it is the top station of this debauched & discriminatory caste system. Most of India is still rural, so you contradict yourself by saying its not a big deal, when it affects the life of MAJORITY of Indians. 

You are confusing Caste-based and religion-based vote bank politics with caste-based hierarchy in Hinduism in the modern era. This has nothing to do with religion. There is no influence of the Hindu religion in this day and age or the scriptures or the Brahmins when it comes to this mess.

you must take me for a foreign guy who doesnt go to India or travel in India. Bud, even 4 years ago i went for a 4 month trip criss-crossing North & Central India with my motorcycle. The caste based nonsense is PERVASIVE everywhere in there outside of a few 'modern' cities. And even in those cities, most of the people are polite but care for caste when it comes to marriage or big stuff. 

So it does need hammering. 

Let us take one of India's largest states UP. The most powerful lady in this state is a Dalit. The other 2 most powerful people are a a guy who is a sanyaasi and a Kshatriya by birth and at least on the surface plays Hindutva politics and not caste politics, The other is a Yadav. Do you know that  Mayawati and Akhilesh along with Minority vote bank politics also cater to the Brahmins who are not a powerful political force in  for their vote bank? 

Oh stop with this hindu white-washing. The most powerful man on the frigging planet for 8 of the last 10 years was a black American man. Yet, America is one of the worst western nations on the planet to be in for a black man.

Same logic applies for the lower castes in UP and India. Just because a Dalit rose to power, does not mean discrimination does not exist.

And whats moronic about your attempt to white-wash the evils of hinduism, is that muslims will say the SAME DAMN THING about Aurangzeb - he had the most # of Hindu generals and major ministers of ANY muslim ruler in history of India. So he must be a peer or a saint by that accord. 

Total critical thinking fail. 

Clearly this has nothing to do with Bollywood taking a dig at the Hindu religion at every chance they get even when the subject matter is light hearted entertainment. This is not the 1920's FFS. As I said if it is a gripping subject matter with a theme based on politics,sure.

Thats your view. in my view if any ill social/religious practice is made fun of/hammered in media, its a good thing. 

You need to upgrade yourself from the 1920's chain of thought of evil Brahmins and evil-Hindus. Welcome to 2018.

I've been around India enough to know that caste ills still plagues the overwhelming majority of rural India. 

Now going to ancient history. Ramayana was written by a Shudra. Mahabharata was written by a Brahmin(assumption) where the most sympathetic and heroic character Karna was a guy who was a victim of caste bias. Even then the evil Duryodhana's biggest virtue was his value for friendship and ability to look beyond the caste-divide.

Ramayana's biggest villain in fact India's greatest villain Ravana was a Brahmin king.No one has issues with that.

Vishwamitra was a sage who was a Kshatriya by birth.

Krishna was a Yadava but cousins with Arjuna who was a Kshatriya. Vidur was Dhritarashtra's half-brother but a Shudra but he was hailed as the most intelligent man in the world.

Chanakya was a king-maker but he picked Chadragupta off the streets because he saw potential. He didn't go around looking for a Brahmin because he was a caste-crazy lunatic.

None of that changes the ground reality that caste is a system of oppression that is still very much alive and thriving in rural India, where most Indians live and if our media is going to hammer it on any opportunity it gets, its a good thing. 

Sure Brahmins back in the day were a powerful caste and as @coffee_rules mentioned might have worked in cahoots with other political classes to oppress and exploit. This is nothing different from what is happening today by the ruling classes. This will happen forever as long as humans are alive. Pakistan is a total muslim state, weren't the Pakjabis trying to oppress East-Bengalis?

Brahmins still oppress in rural areas by invoking caste systems - more like derive a parasitic advantage no different than clergy of the Abrahamics. 

You seem to be as Hinduphobic as Bollywood lol.

I am not hindu-phobic. I am an atheist of Indian origin, who sees Hinduism as the lesser of the evils of the religions plaguing India. Emphasis on the word 'lesser'. 

Anyway we have come a long way off-topic. The case in point is Bollywood is a low-grade film industry for the matter of fact 99% of Indian commercial film industry devoid of any creativity or innovation or talent. They seem to clearly cater to the idiots of the world and run by idiots who still think we live in a medieval world.

At this point Bollywood is way better quality than Hollywood that just believes in CGI + comic book plot-lines. Probably the only decade in history where bollywood has made more and better critically acclaimed movies than Hollywood.

57 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Evil brahmanical angle is evil because it is the top station of this debauched & discriminatory caste system. Most of India is still rural, so you contradict yourself by saying its not a big deal, when it affects the life of MAJORITY of Indians. 

Brahmins still oppress in rural areas by invoking caste systems - more like derive a parasitic advantage no different than clergy of the Abrahamics. 

Dude most priests in Village temples hardly can get by. Once again times have changed. The economy and trade in ancient India flourished around temples and Brahmins had a lot of control in a lot of matters and hence yielded a lot of power and might have worked with feudal lords and kings to opress. The Hindu temples in current day India are under government control and hardly there is any political influence of Brahmins in most states in India.

It will help if you keep abreast of current affairs rather than just going by biases that came out of old wives tales and Bollywood. Here is a fact- Tirupati is one of the richest places of worship in the world and one of the most popular pilgrimage centers in India .The head priest of this temple  going by your logic should be one of the most powerful men in the country in that case. However he was recently sacked and discarded without a second thought because he accused the state government of misappropriating temple funds. 

You are equating  Brahmins to Mullahas or Pope and his priests with the power they yield. I don't get this fascination. Sorry to break it to you,that ship has sailed a long time back. Hindu religion doesn't work the same way and is a lot more flexible and resilient than you think.

Edited by Global.Baba

27 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

Dude most priests in Village temples hardly can get by.

That is true. Doesn't change the fact that they are still mostly casteist f*ckwits and that is clearly an ill that needs to be pointed out and decried. 

Once again times have changed.

Times having changed is irrelevant to the simple reality that cast ills still factor in people's lives. That they factor less than before, is irrelevant to the fact that they still factor to a significant degree. People get murdered over this, people get acid thrown at them for this and many still hold this stupid view of caste. I don't care how well concieved it was for its time or how moderate it was to the rest of world a million years ago, it doesn't change the fact that it is a stupid concept NOW, circa 2018->forward, still is present and needs to go. Just. That. Simple. 

It will help if you keep abreast of current affairs rather than just going by biases that came out of old wives tales and Bollywood. Here is a fact- Tirupati is one of the richest places of worship in the world and one of the most popular pilgrimage centers in India .The head priest of this temple  going by your logic should be one of the most powerful men in the country in that case. However he was recently sacked and discarded without a second thought because he accused the state government of misappropriating temple funds. 

Pfft. Sounds to me like you sit on your balcony and read news & watch tv far more than actually go out and BE in India. 

There are not many Indians who've been around India as much as me- even in India thats less than 5% of people. Me not living there, is irrelevant to how often i go there and how much time i spend there, travelling around. 

You are equating  Brahmins to Mullahas or Pope and his priests with the power they yield. I don't get this fascination. Sorry to break it to you,that ship has sailed a long time back. Hindu religion doesn't work the same way and is a lot more flexible and resilient than you think.

Yes and no. Brahmin values are mullah-light. Like Bud-light. Just crap. Not so terrible that you wanna throw it across the bar and smash the bottle in digust, like you'd want with the mullah-pope analog. Just mild fail all through and through. :thumpdown:

Doesn't mean they get a free pass. 

I simply do not recognize your authority to tell me how India is today or in 'current times' stretching back to the 80s and 90s. Will be happy to put my chops up against you and if you DO happen to be one of the gung-ho all-over-the-place-travelling-spending-time and criss-crossing the country all the time on bike/train/car etc. , then all the power to you to school me. Otherwise, remove the 'i know how indian culture works > you' stuff- its just empty noise to me. 

Edited by Muloghonto

On 10/24/2018 at 6:37 PM, Laaloo said:

I don't agree with this analysis.

This is totally false narrative, which has been propagated today by right wing and they want to brainwash the common Hindu community, and to portray themselves as "Mazlooms". 

Let us see the other side of the story which they hide:

(1) If 80% movies have a Hindu Villan, then 95% of the Movies also have the Hindu Hero. 

There are hardly 5% movies where Hero is Christian or Muslim. 

And there are also hardly 2% movies where heroines are Christian or Muslim. 

(2) In 95% of Movies, Hindu religious culture has been shown, like some Hindu family, with visit to Hindu temples, or there is a role of Brahman Pujari, or Hindu idols in the house. 
95% or more movies revolves around Hindu family. 
You will easily see the holi and deewali celebrations in the movies, but hardly any movies with Christmas/Eid celebrations. 

There are hardly any movies which revolve Christian or Muslim families. Churches or Mosques hardly find any way in the movies, perhaps less than even 5%.

There are tons of films about Ramain and Mahabharata. There are tons of long long serials about Ramain/Mahabharata. But have you seen any Bollywood films about the flood of Noah, the Moses and the Pharaoh, about Jesus and his life? Hindu religion and traditions have been propagated 100s of times more than any Christian or Islamic religion. 

(3) And 99% times, the Hero is from the "higher" Hindu caste. 

There is not even 1% films where Hero is a Dalit. 

There are 99% movies which revolve around Brahmin or Rajput family, but not even 1% movies which show the Dalit family and their culture. 

There are tons of films about Rajput bravery in the whole history, but not a single movie about the Dalit history upon which they could be proud of. 

Have you seen a single word from the RW about this great injustice? 

(4) And lastly I deny that bollywood movies shows Pakistani Government, Pakistani Mullahs etc. as open minded, while Indian side as narrow minded. 

No, but the trend is to show that politicians, government, police and religious leaders of both side are devils. They only want the people of both countries to hate each other and to continue fighting each other. 

Bollywood has shown only this that normal people of both sides are loving people and they deserve to have better relations and love for each other. 

(5) Actually, it is the right wing mindset in each and every country, which is the most narrow minded.

It is their nature to turn a mosquito into an elephant. 

It is their nature to always find billions of faults in the others. 

I am sorry if I am using harsh words, I love all humans, but the Right wing is only acting like a cry babies. 

22 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

I simply do not recognize your authority to tell me how India is today or in 'current times' stretching back to the 80s and 90s. Will be happy to put my chops up against you and if you DO happen to be one of the gung-ho all-over-the-place-travelling-spending-time and criss-crossing the country all the time on bike/train/car etc. , then all the power to you to school me. Otherwise, remove the 'i know how indian culture works > you' stuff- its just empty noise to me. 

:laugh:You sound like that middle aged white lady who spends a few days at an Ashram and thinks she understands Hinduism and India completely. 

2 hours ago, Global.Baba said:

:laugh:You sound like that middle aged white lady who spends a few days at an Ashram and thinks she understands Hinduism and India completely. 

LOL

Vast difference between that and someone who's spent decades in India and spends months travelling inside of it, speaks the language, knows the culture, etc. 

Quit your fantasy, caste is still a huge problem in India and it deserves to be called out as such. Hammer away till its gone- simple. 

16 hours ago, Moochad said:

Nahi yaar, Bollywood was like this for a while now. Even under the UPA government. I think it has to do with Dawood's money in the industry. Now Modi is in government so people feel confident to speak up about such issues.   

In the 90s Bollywood movies generally portrayed Pakistanis in a bad light, just look at Border and Gadar.

They would never have muslims as the main characters in any movie. Watching Bollywood movies in the 90s you would not think that muslims even existed in India. 

It has changed in the last 10 years I would say.

6 hours ago, Alam_dar said:

(1) If 80% movies have a Hindu Villan, then 95% of the Movies also have the Hindu Hero.

You dont get point. A Hindu villain is Hindu villain because of Hindu religion, A Hero is hero simply because he has something called "Freedom Eqaulity democracy" in him. Him being Hindu doesnt mean anything.

Same is true for other data of yours.

Edited by mishra