Food thread !!!

velu

Found one Uttar Kannada hotel serving raagi balls ( 300/350m from my apt ) ..

Raagi balls are  softer with no added boiled rice like how we use to prepare in our home ..

Definitely better than ours but no groundnut chutney to go with this :((  

XSnzm7e_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

1 hour ago, velu said:

Found one Uttar Kannada hotel serving raagi balls ( 300/350m from my apt ) ..

Raagi balls are  softer with no added boiled rice like how we use to prepare in our home ..

Definitely better than ours but no groundnut chutney to go with this :((  

XSnzm7e_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Absolute best stuff.  Try it with hidikida avarekaaLu saaru (https://www.smithakalluraya.com/hitikida-avarekalu-saaru-field-beans-gravy-surti-lilva-curry-recipe/).  

For Gujjus and Northies (wait, aren't Gujjus Northies too?), hidikida avarekaaLu = surti papdi lilva.  

On 12/23/2018 at 7:51 AM, MechEng said:

Oh yes!! Chipotle is amazing, I go there every alternate weekend for veggie tacos, three of them come for inside $7.50. Not the healthiest meal, but way more healthier than Wendy's etc. Haven't tried Panera bread yet.

Not really.  Check out the nutrition comparisons below.  Chipotle are masters at deceptive-marketing and have created an undeserved health halo around themselves.  And remember, you can't spell ChIpOtLE without E. coli.

Chipotle 3 hard tacos (less cals than soft tacos) with carnitas (beef to beef comparison), cilantro-lime brown rice, fajita veggies, and guac.  No cheese, no chips.

830 cals, 44g fat (12.5g saturated), 34g protein,1240 mg sodium , 78g carb, 12g fiber, 69% Vit C.

Wendy's barbeque burger

630 cals, 34g fat (13g saturated), 30g protein,1360mg sodium, 53g carb, 3g fiber, 4% Vit C.

Other than Vit C and fiber, there is nothing significantly better about Chipotle's tacos.  Total cals are significantly more, total fat is significantly more, total carbs are significantly more, and protein & sodium are about the same.  Overall, it's a wash.  

2 hours ago, ExtremeBrainfade said:

Absolute best stuff.  Try it with hidikida avarekaaLu saaru (https://www.smithakalluraya.com/hitikida-avarekalu-saaru-field-beans-gravy-surti-lilva-curry-recipe/).  

For Gujjus and Northies (wait, aren't Gujjus Northies too?), hidikida avarekaaLu = surti papdi lilva.  

kannadiga thing i guess.. 

we use to take avarakkai in our home but mostly as fried beans with rice .. as far as i know we never prepared avarakkai sambar

2 hours ago, ExtremeBrainfade said:

Not really.  Check out the nutrition comparisons below.  Chipotle are masters at deceptive-marketing and have created an undeserved health halo around themselves.  And remember, you can't spell ChIpOtLE without E. coli.

Chipotle 3 hard tacos (less cals than soft tacos) with carnitas (beef to beef comparison), cilantro-lime brown rice, fajita veggies, and guac.  No cheese, no chips.

830 cals, 44g fat (12.5g saturated), 34g protein,1240 mg sodium , 78g carb, 12g fiber, 69% Vit C.

Wendy's barbeque burger

630 cals, 34g fat (13g saturated), 30g protein,1360mg sodium, 53g carb, 3g fiber, 4% Vit C.

Other than Vit C and fiber, there is nothing significantly better about Chipotle's tacos.  Total cals are significantly more, total fat is significantly more, total carbs are significantly more, and protein & sodium are about the same.  Overall, it's a wash.  

I don't eat out at Chipotle now. The guacomole they served was smelly and did not taste fresh the last time I got a takeaway from there, I had to dispose the entire thing and did not want to risk food poisoning.

These days I either cook at home or walk to the closest Lebanese restaurant for a falafel meal.