Current Indian side vs this Indian side from the 00s in a 5 match test series?

5 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

They also folded like a deck of cards in the next test.

In the next test 

Vijays played a knock of 97+6

Pujara 70 + 32

Kohli 46 + 11 ( kohli scored 100 + n around 90 in 1st test so thats gr8 consistency )

Rahane 51+ 96

Not bad certainly not folded

Steyn did that to our teams full of legend at home , he is an ATG he will have his good days against any side 

25 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

In the next test 

Vijays played a knock of 97+6

Pujara 70 + 32

Kohli 46 + 11 ( kohli scored 100 + n around 90 in 1st test so thats gr8 consistency )

Rahane 51+ 96

Not bad certainly not folded

Steyn did that to our teams full of legend at home , he is an ATG he will have his good days against any side 

He was also at his peak & we did play on 2 tough tracks that series, just like 2017 unless we ignore those numbers & assume SA in 2010/11 < SA 2013/14 at the time of Kallis' retirement. The point being most of the opposition had better batting in the 2k's - that is one point that's uncontested & cannot be challenged, the opposition also had one or more ATG bowlers in their squad. For all the hoopla about Aus attack, only Cummins avg less than 30 with the ball this year. Not only does the opposition have worse batters, much worse in some cases, but their bowling is largely inexperienced &/or ineffective on flat surfaces.

Comparing this Ind team to the one in 2k is like comparing Clarke's Aus, Ashes 2013/14, to Waugh's invincibles circa 1999/2000. Of course ultimately it is a pointless exercise because not every player's peak coincides with his teammates' otherwise peak Sehwag+peak Sachin>any other Indian combo at home or peak Dravid+peak Sachin>any other India combo away.

Edited by R!TTER
3 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Man to Man if u see

Will consider in good form 

• GG vs Vijay (both were very good at their peeks at home specially)
  • Sehwag vs Rahul (sehwag at this point)
  • Dravid vs Puj (not much to choose)
  • Kohli vs Sachin (not much to choose)
  • Laxman vs rahane (at home laxman wins hands down)
  • Dhoni vs Pant (pant is to young in his career as of now, dhoni was mature due the age)
  • Kumble vs Ashwin (kumble as a bowler was a lil better but ashwin cover with his batting)
  • Bhajji vs Jadeja ( hmmm...not much to choose jadeja is very underrrated at home )
  • Zak vs Shami ( not much to choose)
  • Ishant vs Umesh ( umesh has advantage due to reverse swing )
  • Ganguly vs kuldeep/rohit/pandya ( ganguly wasnt to gr8 in test , became better only after hie comeback)

I have not considered bumrah as he is yet to play at home , he ll be lethal for sure and will give present side a huge edge

Fitness n ground fielding gives current side an edge

Catching the old side

Part time bowling old side and they have sehwag n sachin and even ganguly

Tactically that side had more sound brains

Approach - i like this sides approach more as they are aggressive and more focussed on winning 

1.  Shaw played in the last home test series.  Although he is no Sehwag yet, but he will probably go on to be a very special player.

2.  Shami at home is much better than Zak at home.  Zak was better overseas.

3.  Bumrah will definitely be there in a big test series at home now.  And we saw how dangerously he reverse swung the ball at pace at the MCG on a slow track.

2018 team have better spin attack  --   Ashwin, Jadeja, Kuldeep   vs   Kumble, Bhajji  (  Batting ability of Ash and Jadeja allows Kuldeep to play and gain advantage  )

2018 team have better much pace attack at home  --  Bumrah and Shami   vs    Zak and Ishant.

2000s  team  have slightly better openers at home.

Similar upper middle order of 3 and 4.

2000s team have better  middle order of 5 and 6 at home due to Laxman.   

2018 team have better chance of winning on flat tracks due to their much better pace bowling and the fact that their weaker lower middle order will be more effective on flat tracks.

On turning tracks, the 2000s team may have advantage due to their batting ability against spin.

Edited by express bowling
7 minutes ago, express bowling said:

1.  Shaw played in the last home test series.  Although he is no Sehwag yet, but he will probably go on to be a very special player.

to early , didnt consider him 

As of now vijay is the option till we see shaw for few yrs and vijay was good at his peek

2.  Shami at home is much better than Zak at home.  Zak was better overseas.

Zak at his peek was very good at home, shami has more pace but zak was more wiley .......very good with reverse swing and variation

For me he was no less then shami 

3.  Bumrah will definitely be there in a big test series at home now.  And we saw how dangerously he reverse swung the ball at pace at the MCG on a slow track.

Hasnt played at home till now so didnt consider him but yes if u ask me how to defeat that side bumrah wud be my no.1 pick and he ll be the x-factor

2018 team have better spin attack  --   Ashwin, Jadeja, Kuldeep   vs   Kumble, Bhajji  (  Batting ability of Ash and Jadeja allows Kuldeep to play and gain advantage  )

Wnt play kuldeep against sachin n sehwag....those guys destroyed hogg

Will go for pandya or umesh 

2018 team have better much pace attack at home  --  Bumrah and Shami   vs    Zak and Ishant.

Agreed 

Ill be tempeted to play umesh, shami, bumrah against that lineup

2000s  team  have slightly better openers at home.

2000s side had no fixed 2nd opener, gambhir came around 2008 thats where i mentioned he n ganguly cnt be in same side

Similar upper middle order of 3 and 4.

yep

2000s team have better  middle order of 5 and 6 at home due to Laxman.   

Kohli is flexible with 6

If u ask me pandya can be used as counter attacking batsman against spin, step down n start hitting them n it was seen that those 2 can be put under pressure

OR ashwin n jadeja are capable enough giving us a option to play 3 seamers

It wud be very very close series......hard to choose

Conditions
Most of the 2000s was played on flatter pitches similar to what we saw in  recent Ind-SL series and Ind-Eng series. Can't recall a single series which had pitches similar to Ind-SA series 2015 and Ind-Aus 2017.

Bowling

Zak is overrated. He was mostly mediocre in his career and when he learnt his skills he lost fitness. Bumrah, Shami and Bhuvi are better than most pacers produced by India. Ishant may end up with similar numbers as of Zak in 2 years. Most of the pacers of 2000s were not better than Yadav who doesn't even find place in current team.

Spinners - Ashwin is better than Harbhajan, not Kumble who was a beast on turners in India. India whitewashed Eng in 90s with help of Kumble. Difference between 2 attacks is Jadeja who is relentless with his accuracy and effectiveness in subcontinent. Harbhajan and Kumble didn't play together much. 

Batting skills of Ashwin and Jadeja are as good as batsmen and huge difference in home matches. Their contribution equal to 1 and half or sometimes 2 batsmen.

Batting

Only Kohli and Pujara are comparable to batsmen of 2000s. Whole line up of 2000s were better players of spin. Whole idea of current crop being more clutch seems so, because of bowlers' performance. Current team crumbled in 2nd inn with 106-8. Team of 2000 would have lost with better batting performance opposition would have scored more runs in 1st inn and we would have blamed debacle of 2nd inn. Here our cracks are covered.

Wicketkeepers

Pant is better batsman than Dhoni and his keeping is work in progress. Dhoni's biggest skill - fast stumping was not needed in tests.

At Home
On flat pitches - Team of 2000s will constantly draw games against current team. They will not be able to beat current team so easily because Pujara and Kohli are also beast and current team has stonger lower order. It will be 1-1 in 5 match series with team collapsing in 2nd inning with some fluke.

On turners - Team of 2000 will beat current team.

Away

Current conditions - Unless it's completely lottery pitch, team of 2000s will constantly stuggle to bit current team because of weaker bowling attack. They will lose plot with after 2 sessions and even with better batting efforts, one collapse will put them on backfoot. I think current team has upper hand over team of 2000s.

Conditions of 2000s - Mostly drawn games.

5 hours ago, kubrickian said:

2000s team will win but what that team lacked was good seamers other than Zak. But with the batting they had, they could post a big total and Zak and Kumble would be good enough to put pressure. But if batting fails, they dont have the bowling to bail the side out of trouble.

The current players are not that good against spinners,pretty sure bhajji and kumble would be enough for them .

I always imagine what our current bowlers will do the our current batsmen ,it'll be a bloodshed 

5 hours ago, sensible-indian said:

On paper, the 2000 Indian team must thrash the current team in India.

But in a real fight, I think our current team will win or atleast the run that team close.

Current Indian spinners know how to use the SG ball. So there won't be a Murali situation.

Plus the whole team is clutch as hell in India.

2000 Indian team were never this dominating at home in the last decade.

Bumrah-Shami-Ashwin-Jaddu-Kuldeep is an insanely relentless attack to face at home.

It won't be easy even for the Fab 4 as there won't be any weaklings to target.

True , I also believe that this current team is super clutch at home but what it'll build down to is the ability to play spinners on day 4,5 and I am very confident that bhajji and kumble would roll them over.

The current bowling attack is much better than the superstar one and that's why i feel they'd nick 1 or 2 test

5 hours ago, Dil Dil India said:

For that matter, even Kohli and Pujara would struggle in India vs Kumble. The current side can't play Lyon and Moeen Ali lol

Not really. Kumble never really turned the ball. Also, that batting will struggle against Jaddu. Jaddu is just a more accurate version of Kumble. I would say even better on Indian pitches. Guy averages 23 in test cricket. Also cannot overlook Ashwin as well who averages 25. Moreover, that batting struggled against Gareth batty, Giles, pansear, Danish kaneria, and Shaun udal, etc.

4 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Man to Man if u see

Will consider in good form 

• GG vs Vijay (both were very good at their peeks at home specially)
  • Sehwag vs Rahul (sehwag at this point)
  • Dravid vs Puj (not much to choose)
  • Kohli vs Sachin (not much to choose)
  • Laxman vs rahane (at home laxman wins hands down)
  • Dhoni vs Pant (pant is to young in his career as of now, dhoni was mature due the age)
  • Kumble vs Ashwin (kumble as a bowler was a lil better but ashwin cover with his batting)
  • Bhajji vs Jadeja ( hmmm...not much to choose jadeja is very underrrated at home )
  • Zak vs Shami ( not much to choose)
  • Ishant vs Umesh ( umesh has advantage due to reverse swing )
  • Ganguly vs kuldeep/rohit/pandya ( ganguly wasnt to gr8 in test , became better only after hie comeback)

I have not considered bumrah as he is yet to play at home , he ll be lethal for sure and will give present side a huge edge

Fitness n ground fielding gives current side an edge

Catching the old side

Part time bowling old side and they have sehwag n sachin and even ganguly

Tactically that side had more sound brains

Approach - i like this sides approach more as they are aggressive and more focussed on winning 

As a combo, I'd rate Gambhir and Sehwag comfortably over anything we've had since including Dhawan/Vijay. Sehwag in Asia was a different kind of beast. Dravid vs Pujara in Asia is probably close (I think that's what you mean). Tendulkar at home for me is better than Kohli by quite a bit, especially on turns. I still remember Tendulkar slightly past his peak, returning from a the tennis elbow injury vs Australia in Mumbai in 04 scoring a 50 on an atrociously bad pitch where Australia couldn't chase 107 or something. Kohli on similar pitches has failed so far in India (Pune vs Aus, SA series in India).

A combined batting 11 would be:

1) Gambhir

2) Sehwag

3) Dravid

4) Tendulkar

5) Kohli

6) Laxman

7) Dhoni (Pant has potential but still too early).

From the bowlers, if the matches are in India it is a little tricky. Kumble definitely gets in. I'd take either Ashwin or Jaddu over Harbhajan who is vastly overrated by the few who rate him. 2 paces would be from Zaheer/Shami/Bumrah. I'm tempted to say Zak and Shami for now given Bumrah is still quite raw and new. So to complete the team:

8) Ashwin/Jadeja

9) Kumble

10) Zaheer

11) Shami

By my count that's 8 out of 11 from the old side (7 if you want Bumrah instead of Zaheer).

5 hours ago, sensible-indian said:

On paper, the 2000 Indian team must thrash the current team in India.

But in a real fight, I think our current team will win or atleast the run that team close.

Current Indian spinners know how to use the SG ball. So there won't be a Murali situation.

Plus the whole team is clutch as hell in India.

2000 Indian team were never this dominating at home in the last decade.

Bumrah-Shami-Ashwin-Jaddu-Kuldeep is an insanely relentless attack to face at home.

It won't be easy even for the Fab 4 as there won't be any weaklings to target.

So true

24 minutes ago, Adi BB said:

True , I also believe that this current team is super clutch at home but what it'll build down to is the ability to play spinners on day 4,5 and I am very confident that bhajji and kumble would roll them over.

The current bowling attack is much better than the superstar one and that's why i feel they'd nick 1 or 2 test

Ashwin and Jaddu also would roll that batting line on 5th day.  People are forgetting how many times those guys crumbled against mediocre spinners.  I consider these two spinners better than bhajji and Kumble at home.

Edited by rkt.india
1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

to early , didnt consider him 

As of now vijay is the option till we see shaw for few yrs and vijay was good at his peek

Zak at his peek was very good at home, shami has more pace but zak was more wiley .......very good with reverse swing and variation

For me he was no less then shami 

Hasnt played at home till now so didnt consider him but yes if u ask me how to defeat that side bumrah wud be my no.1 pick and he ll be the x-factor

Wnt play kuldeep against sachin n sehwag....those guys destroyed hogg

Will go for pandya or umesh 

Agreed 

Ill be tempeted to play umesh, shami, bumrah against that lineup

2000s side had no fixed 2nd opener, gambhir came around 2008 thats where i mentioned he n ganguly cnt be in same side

yep

Kohli is flexible with 6

If u ask me pandya can be used as counter attacking batsman against spin, step down n start hitting them n it was seen that those 2 can be put under pressure

OR ashwin n jadeja are capable enough giving us a option to play 3 seamers

It wud be very very close series......hard to choose

No, Zak was never great at home, averages 35 in India. Even Umesh is better at home averages 27. Shami is just on another level altogether.

52 minutes ago, Dil Dil India said:

As a combo, I'd rate Gambhir and Sehwag comfortably over anything we've had since including Dhawan/Vijay. Sehwag in Asia was a different kind of beast. Dravid vs Pujara in Asia is probably close (I think that's what you mean). Tendulkar at home for me is better than Kohli by quite a bit, especially on turns. I still remember Tendulkar slightly past his peak, returning from a the tennis elbow injury vs Australia in Mumbai in 04 scoring a 50 on an atrociously bad pitch where Australia couldn't chase 107 or something. Kohli on similar pitches has failed so far in India (Pune vs Aus, SA series in India).

1) Gambhir

2) Sehwag

3) Dravid

4) Tendulkar

5) Kohli

6) Laxman

From the bowlers, if the matches are in India it is a little tricky. Kumble definitely gets in. I'd take either Ashwin or Jaddu over Harbhajan who is vastly overrated by the few who rate him. 2 paces would be from Zaheer/Shami/Bumrah. I'm tempted to say Zak and Shami for now given Bumrah is still quite raw and new. So to complete the team:

8) Ashwin/Jadeja

9) Kumble

10) Zaheer

11) Shami

By my count that's 8 out of 11 from the old side (7 if you want Bumrah instead of Zaheer).

Yeah, I would also pick this batting lineup.

Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Sachin, Kohli, VVS.

Edited by Straight Drive
46 minutes ago, Dil Dil India said:

1) Gambhir

2) Sehwag

3) Dravid

4) Tendulkar

5) Kohli

6) Laxman

8) Ashwin/Jadeja

9) Kumble

10) Zaheer

11) Shami

Pujara has to play in India.  I will play him in place of Gambhir.

Zaheer averages  36 in India.   Bumrah has to play.  His bowling is at another level altogether.  We have never seen a pacer like him from India ever.

My combined Indian test team of the 2000s and 2010s for a test match in India

1.  Sehwag

2.  Pujara

3.  Dravid

4.  Tendulkar

5.  Kohli

6.  Dhoni

7.  Ashwin

8.  Jadeja

9.  Kumble

10. Shami

11. Bumrah

This is one tough team to beat.

Edited by express bowling
59 minutes ago, Adi BB said:

I think it will come down to who scores more in the first innings.

Fab 4 once crumbled against Afridi on a Day 5 pitch.

Saqlain picked 4 5fers on a trot against that lineup and the test we won in that series was due to an amazing knock by Sadagopan Ramesh.

Fab 4 are incredibly skilled and will humiliate the modern spinners on flatties but they aren't that clutch as a lineup to do great in Day 4/5 (talking as a whole tho Laxman was clutch).

On a Day 4/5 track where its turning, Ashwin/Jaddu/Kuldeep will end up ripping through that lineup. The one player whom they won't be able to do anything will be Sehwag but then they will just hope for Sehwag to throw his wicket away which he invariably will do..especially in 3rd and 4th innings.

---

One thing is for sure.....it will be a great battle. 

Anything can happen.

Edited by sensible-indian