Current Indian side vs this Indian side from the 00s in a 5 match test series?

7 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Pujara has to play in India.  I will play him in place of Gambhir.

Zaheer averages  36 in India.   Bumrah has to play.  His bowling is at another level altogether.  We have never seen a pacer like him from India ever.

My combined Indian test team of the 2000s and 2010s for a test match in India

1.  Sehwag

2.  Pujara

3.  Dravid

4.  Tendulkar

5.  Kohli

6.  Dhoni

7.  Ashwin

8.  Jadeja

9.  Kumble

10. Shami

11. Bumrah

This is one tough team to beat.

6/11 from current era.

4 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Ashwin and Jaddu also would roll that batting line on 5th day.  People are forgetting how many times those guys crumbled against mediocre spinners.  I consider these two spinners better than bhajji and Kumble at home.

You find them better than bhajji and kumble because nowadays we are producing spinning tracks instead of flat pitches which were the norm in 2000s during fab 5 era .

When you get flat pitches these ashwin and jaddus also struggle to pick wkts or get opposition out cheaply ,case in point the England series 2016 when England scored 400+ 3 times,even srl got a draw in kotla when the pitch eased up .

Batting is not easy on Indian pitches in recent times hence the inflated records of our spinner (nothing wrong though )

4 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Not really. Kumble never really turned the ball. Also, that batting will struggle against Jaddu. Jaddu is just a more accurate version of Kumble. I would say even better on Indian pitches. Guy averages 23 in test cricket. Also cannot overlook Ashwin as well who averages 25. Moreover, that batting struggled against Gareth batty, Giles, pansear, Danish kaneria, and Shaun udal, etc.

I'll tell you how bad our current batsmen are against spin compared to fab 4 .

If those batty's,giles,udals got fab 4 out by 200 ,then these current guys wont even get to 130 .its all relative!

These current guys have also struggled at home against Lyon,okeefe,elgar,tahir

Would be great game.  Love to watch it lol

Bear in mind that current teams opening bats are really or will be for next year or so, Agarwal and Shaw.  If they click can be equal of gambo/Sehwag

Heck of a game.  As someone watched all of 00ss, backing the 00s team :phehe:  Emotional pick 00s winning , massive part of my life and some amazing highs and lows!

Edited by King Tendulkar

In overseas conditions, you cant really expect to take 20 wickets with only one good seamer which was the case in 2000s. India's batting back then used to put the team in good positions and then on some occasions, Zak used to get good support from either of Ishant, RP, Sreesanth, Irfan but they were far from consistent. Whereas, with the current bowling attack you can expect more consistent performances and Kohli, Pujara to deliver more than often and Rahane or someone else to support them. Hence, this team will be formidable overseas and even in a contest between these two sides overseas, I would pick the current one.

3 hours ago, sensible-indian said:

I think it will come down to who scores more in the first innings.

Fab 4 once crumbled against Afridi on a Day 5 pitch.

Saqlain picked 4 5fers on a trot against that lineup and the test we won in that series was due to an amazing knock by Sadagopan Ramesh.

Fab 4 are incredibly skilled and will humiliate the modern spinners on flatties but they aren't that clutch as a lineup to do great in Day 4/5 (talking as a whole tho Laxman was clutch).

On a Day 4/5 track where its turning, Ashwin/Jaddu/Kuldeep will end up ripping through that lineup. The one player whom they won't be able to do anything will be Sehwag but then they will just hope for Sehwag to throw his wicket away which he invariably will do..especially in 3rd and 4th innings.

---

One thing is for sure.....it will be a great battle. 

Anything can happen.

Even for all there chokes and surprised collapse , fab 4 still chased 200+ against aus twice in 2010 ,200+ in adelaide 2004,250+ against srl 2010 ,200+ against pak 2007 ,270 odd against windiest 2011,250+ against nzl 2012,260+ against srl 2001 ,387 against eng 2008 and many more match saving innings .these current lot wouldn't have chased a single one of those I feel.

Haven't seen a single run chase of 150+ or match saving innings from the current lot (Sydney 2014 only exception ).

These guys cr@p their pants at the slightest hint of pressure when chasing ,headless chickens !

19 minutes ago, King Tendulkar said:

Would be great game.  Love to watch it lol

Bear in mind that current teams opening bats are really or will be for next year or so, Agarwal and Shaw.  If they click can be equal of gambo/Sehwag

Heck of a game.  As someone watched all of 00ss, backing the 00s team :phehe:  Emotional pick 00s winning , massive part of my life and some amazing highs and lows!

Not even close, peak Sehwag trumps every opening batter/combo at home barring Sunny - who was the real chase master.

On 12/30/2018 at 9:59 PM, Adi BB said:

Even for all there chokes and surprised collapse , fab 4 still chased 200+ against aus twice in 2010 ,200+ in adelaide 2004,250+ against srl 2010 ,200+ against pak 2007 ,270 odd against windiest 2011,250+ against nzl 2012,260+ against srl 2001 ,387 against eng 2008 and many more match saving innings .these current lot wouldn't have chased a single one of those I feel.

Haven't seen a single run chase of 150+ or match saving innings from the current lot (Sydney 2014 only exception ).

These guys cr@p their pants at the slightest hint of pressure when chasing ,headless chickens !

You raise a valid point Adi but there's also another factor which we may have to consider, which I will talk about in a sec.

2004 Adelaide, 2010 SL, 387 vs Eng were all quality. High quality stuff.

The 250 which was chased against NZ in 2012 was done due to Kohli, Dhoni with Pujara chipping in. Not Fab 4.

The 270 vs WI was due to utterly shambolic performance against a weak team. We shouldn't have been chasing that much at all.

Even the 2008 England match pitch was flat as hell and it was really poor performance to even get to the stage where we needed 387 to win the game.

Now coming back to the factor, the current team barely has chased anything in Asia because they would pound oppositions so much that there would be little or no target left to chase.

In Asia, the only time we got a decent target to chase was against SL on a Galle turner and our bats had no clue how to chase it down. Apart from that, I can't remember a time when we got any sizable total to chase in Asia.

Outside Asia, yes we have been CHOKING real bad and that's got to do with horrible selections where we handicap ourselves . Plus our bats as a lineup aren't as good as the Fab 4 outside Asia.

For all the prowess of Fab 4, they couldn't chase down 120 runs in WI in  1994 to win a historic series against a bloody strong team. 

On a tough pitch, even the Fab 4 has its issues. And modern day outside Asia pitches were very tough on the 4th innings the last year or so.

1 minute ago, sensible-indian said:

You raise a valid point Adi but there's also another factor which we may have to consider, which I will talk about in a sec.

2004 Adelaide, 2010 SL, 387 vs Eng were all quality. High quality stuff.

The 250 which was chased against NZ in 2012 was done due to Kohli, Dhoni with Pujara chipping in. Not Fab 4.

The 270 vs WI was due to utterly shambolic performance against a weak team. We shouldn't have been chasing that much at all.

Even the 2008 England match pitch was flat as hell and it was really poor performance to even get to the stage where we needed 387 to win the game.

Now coming back to the factor, the current team barely has chased anything in Asia because they would pound oppositions so much that there would be little or no target left to chase.

In Asia, the only time we got a decent target to chase was against SL on a Galle turner and our bats had no clue how to chase it down. Apart from that, I can't remember a time when we got any sizable total to chase in Asia.

Outside Asia, yes we have been CHOKING real bad and that's got to do with horrible selections where we handicap ourselves . Plus our bats as a lineup aren't as good as the Fab 4 outside Asia.

For all the prowess of Fab 4, they couldn't chase down 120 runs in WI in  1994 to win a historic series against a bloody strong team. 

On a tough pitch, even the Fab 4 has its issues. And modern day outside Asia pitches were very tough on the 4th innings the last year or so.

Agree ,my point was that on crumbling pitches or when chasing even a modest total of 200 ,with the fab 4 you at least had that confidence that they might pull it off even if they didn't but with the current match it's almost a guaranteed defeat even before the 4th innings begin .

That's how weak they are under pressure while chasing